Trueways survival knife/tool

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

lupus

Forager
Mar 28, 2007
at home
i don't really want to start singing the praises of the Chris cain tool as i do not want people to think i have some kind of elegance to them, but as i have one all i can say is it does what i need it to(very well) and as for the price that s up to the individual what they can afford or are willing to pay.
i belive there's a new cheaper one coming out, around the £160 mark.

M

Matt1

hi, i am matt lodge the owner of wilderness essentials, i have asked for permission from toddy to post here as some of the statements about our products are incorrect

people keep refering to the chris caine survival tool retailing for £299 this is not true, that was the reccomended retail price that A.Wrights suggested not a price we tried selling at, i will not post the prices up for this product as that would be in breach of the forum rules
other people have posted that it is the same design as the lofty tool, again this is false, the only similarities the tools have, they both have a sweeping belly on the blade, sharp edges just like any other parang style blade on the market, and the safety sheath. the handles are diferent as well as the metals and process in which it is made.
please feel free to ask any questions you have, but please keep in mind my response may be limited to keep inline with the forum rules.

thanks

matt

M

Matt1

Thank you British Red and can appreciate that i'm only interested in the facts about the chris caine survival tool and to anwser any questions members may have since our product has been mentioned in this thread.

Andy BB

Apr 19, 2010
Hampshire
Apologies for taking this thread off-topic. Oh, and no, in case anyone was wondering, I have no connection with any manufacturer!

JonathanD

Ophiological Genius
Sep 3, 2004
Stourton,UK
i have asked for permission from toddy to post here as some of the statements about our products are incorrect

people keep refering to the chris caine survival tool retailing for £299 this is not true, that was the reccomended retail price that A.Wrights suggested not a price we tried selling at,

Hold on, the facts in this thread are therefore correct as you have just verified. It did have an advertised RRP of £299, and now it doesn't. That's exactly what I said.

M

Matt1

No you did'nt you said "retailed at £299" Retail price simply means the price at which goods or services are sold by a retailer to a consumer. This is the purchase price that you pay whenever you buy a product, it was not advertised retailing at this price. Yes it had a RRP of £299 this is the 'recommended retail price' the recommended sale price normally determined by the manufacturer which they suggest the product should be sold for.

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Matt,

if you want to promote a belief in the tool, might I suggest putting one up for a pass around? There are no end of people here who go on extended trips and expeditions, do green wood working, process huge amounts of wood , design and make knives, axes etc. You would then be assured of some unbiased reviews of the knife, its efficacy and value. Perhaps that would be a positive way to demonstrate its values?

Red

Stew

Bushcrafter through and through
Nov 29, 2003
Aylesbury
stewartjlight-knives.com
Matt,

if you want to promote a belief in the tool, might I suggest putting one up for a pass around? There are no end of people here who go on extended trips and expeditions, do green wood working, process huge amounts of wood , design and make knives, axes etc. You would then be assured of some unbiased reviews of the knife, its efficacy and value. Perhaps that would be a positive way to demonstrate its values?

Red

Good idea Red, but one I suggested already. :D

http://www.britishblades.com/forums/showthread.php?96167-My-New-Survival-Tool

Chris had my details and I would have set the passaround up for him. I heard nothing, which suggested a bit of a lack of faith and poor customer service to me. Passarounds are a great idea to get honest views.

M

Matt1

Ok Stu PM me your details i will get one sent out to you if your still willing to set the passaround up for us.

Cheers

Matt

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Here you go stew, when you've finished with this lot that's sat out the back, I'll line up somethong more challenging :D

3) My log stack by British Red, on Flickr

Nice gesture Chris, I'd be happy to do a review when stu has finished if you want? I put John's original through its paces so it would be interesting to make a comparison

Red

Baldrick1974

Oct 7, 2007
Derby
I did as much research as I could and evetually decided to buy the Trueways tool. The main reason being was that the Chris Caine tool was about £45 more expensive at the time of purchase. I went out this morning to see what it could do and I was really impressed. It had the ability to chop down quite large branches upto 5 inches with only a few chops. I haven't used it for finer work but will be doing so in the next week. My bushcraft buddy was very impressed but because of the waiting time for the Trueways tool, he has decided to buy the £150 version of the Chris Caine tool which should arrive soon.

I'll do a side by side test of the two knives and post the results. Both were the same price to purchase and do look similar in design so the results should be iinteresting.

robevs73

Maker
Sep 17, 2008
llanelli
On the first post It was said that Parangs dont have full tang's, mine do, heres a picture.
003-9.jpg

lostplanet

Aug 18, 2005
Kent
rob can you add something for scale in your picture, I cant get my head round the size of the Blade. Perhaps the stamp on the blade size ?

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE