Re-Introduction

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Sailing_Swagman

Aug 27, 2014
Colchester, Essex
Curious - My post has disappeared :( so here it is again:

Hello Everyone!

Time for a re-introduction! I signed up to the forum last summer, posted a tiny bit, then disappeared into the digital ether whilst I travelled to Australia to visit my parents over winter. I spent a month on the road living out of a 4x4 with my wife; first heading inland then back down the East Coast. Camping included Frasier Island (look it up!), various campsites and reserves. Unfortunately we were very unlucky with the weather in the latter part of the trip and had to leave Frasier ahead of schedule due to tail end of a cyclone which chased us south for a about 4 days.. in the end I knocked out 900km of driving in one day to put us ahead of it as it kept catching us up every night whilst we slept in our tent.

P1000229%20Medium_zpshv5sk1os.jpg

Fraser Island Roads

IMG_1500%20Medium_zpszmbelnw1.jpg

Lucky none were sighted!

IMG_1570%20Medium_zpswsx1nval.jpg

Our Pitch

IMG_0867%20Medium_zps0hxwvscg.jpg

Morning visitor - Came everyday looking for scraps!

IMG_1605%20Medium_zpsjt3vdrkb.jpg

Cyclone Moving In!

I have been lurking back in the Forum for the past few weeks, and have been having a good read of the forum now that the weather is improving and my outdoor pursuit desires are increasing again!

About me:

I’ve been fishing and camping for about 18 years (since mid-teens) mostly teaching myself and buying equipment; I’m guilty of being a bit of a kit collector. I am also into sailing in a big way... My job involves yachts/waterways/oceans so boats play a big part in my life.

My first taste of 'proper' camping (away from an commercial campsite) was when I lived in Australia for 2 years living in rural northern Victoria. I was fortunate enough to befriend a farmer that owned about 6000 acres of land with 9 miles of woods/bushland which bordered the River Murray. Access was by a 'Ute' or 4x4 for a stay of usually a week at a time only in exchange for a bottle of whiskey, keeping the area tidy and as a deterrent to poachers/intruders. A ‘base camp’ evolved over time and included: a 'long drop' thunder box, woodland timbers hand-cut to make: benches, tables, cooking area etc. We made a firepit from an old tractor wheel rim. We fished, watched wildlife, cooked on the camp-fire; usually canned food we brought with us, or fish we caught - crayfish/shrimp, Murray Cod, Yellowbelly, and slept in swags or under tarps with mozzie nets (Ikea net curtains!, we washed in the river (the freshwater shrimp loved the soap too!).... it was magnificent.

DSC00214%20Medium_zpsfex81fsi.jpg

Our Main Plot

DSC04117%20Medium_zps93sr53lb.jpg

Basic Shower Area - We used Solar Bags to heat river water

DSC00210%20Medium_zpsbdaesdq0.jpg

Swags Aplenty

DSCF0142%20Medium_zpsxqgedrqn.jpg

Supervisor!

DSCF0084%20Medium_zpsivuv4ump.jpg

Thunder Box

I came back to the UK in 2009 to buy a boat to sail back to Australia, but (ultimate cliché) met a girl who last year become my wife. I have tried camping with her in a few different places - one was in the corner of a farmer’s field in the Yorkshire Moors who gladly accepted a few pounds for the weekend - it rained and without a shower and toilet for her she hated it. We followed the next year by going to a holiday-camp which I hated - noise, lots of people, expensive beer! Last year we found a little site in Sussex which had a small empty tent field bordering woodland that had a small fishing lake (I was the only one to ask to use it in months). Our tent/camping package has been upgraded to include a porta-porti; so we have found our camping compromise…. But I still prefer a Swag.

I am really missing the off-grid outback/bush camping I had when living in Australia though... sleeping under the stars with just a: swag, tarp, camp-fire, a book, and some bushcraft and self-reliance to keep me occupied.

I am looking to build on my own skills, experience and knowledge with the help of this forum, a few books…. Starting again right from the basics such as learning to sharpen my knife/axe (properly), making tent pegs, setting up a tarp properly, though to some more advanced things I’d like to learn. I quite fancy the Daniel Boone challenge and have most of the kit already so currently trying to rope some of my friends into a summer excursion.

I am looking to make local like-minded friends too for conversation and banter; I left a lot of my friends behind when I moved back to the UK and the ones I have here are quite spread apart.
So to summarise from my epic introduction:
Like Camping / Sailing / Boats, Lived in the UK, Moved to Australia then back to the UK again. Looking to increase / learn new skills, make some like-minded friends! From reading the forum it looks like I’m in the right place!

Last edited:

Alan 13~7

Settler
Oct 2, 2014
Prestwick, Scotland
hi jaykay brilliant intro... cool pix I can see them now, you sound to me like you would be an interesting & amassing neighbor to have while wild camping .... deffo in the right place, look forward to reading more of your posts... Welcome from Prestwick in Scotland!

Last edited:

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
Hi JayKay,
Like the others said crackin' intro. Think and hope you'll fit in here and I hope you enjoy your time.
Looking forward to hearing of your trips and experience.
ATB,
GB.

Sent via smoke-signal from a woodland in Scotland.

Sailing_Swagman

Aug 27, 2014
Colchester, Essex
Aha - Yeah I re-added photos to the post in an attempt to get them to work. i hosted them on a different site as the Google Drive ones were not working. Hopefully the mods will take a look and it will be back soon! Spent ages on it!

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE