Trout

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Raz

Nomad
Sep 3, 2003
all over
I'll be honest, I'm a terrible cook, and I need help.

I go fishing every night. Don't usualy get much, but enjoy the sunset and wildlife.
My Mrs. Hates fish (capital "H") and thus doesn't have anything to do with them.
I just roll them in flour, salt and pepper and chuck them in the pan with some butter. Then eat on toast, and have been doing this for as long as I can remeber.

Anyone got anything more exciting to do with them? More the better if the ingredients are things I can find/pick/hunt.

Gary

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 17, 2003
from Essex
Raz,

My favorite way to cook fish is to steam it on an open fire wrapped in spaghnam moss and stuffed with hedge garlic and sorrel - its great. cook for 20 minutes or until the skin just lifts off - add a knob of butter if you have one.

qweeg500

Forager
Sep 14, 2003
Hampshire
Hi Raz,
What a lovely life you must lead. Trout on tap.
My fave is:-
Stuff the trout with Thyme. Make a bag with some tin foil and throw the trout in with butter and a little white wine (save some to drink with it).
Stick it in the oven for less than 10 minutes - don't dry it out. Fantastic.

Bushcraft style:-
Alternatively do it Ray Mears style over an open fire. This works best with salmon in my opinion but trout's a close second.

Raz

Nomad
Sep 3, 2003
all over
I'll give those a go, sound delicious!

I've always wanted to give "pontassing" (I think that’s right?) a go over an open fire.
I had a little fire the other day and rigged one up, but then didn’t catch a trout that day. The trout are pretty small here, so I fear it would be rather unsuccessful.

I've never been salmon fishing, but if I do, I think that would be the best way to cook them. I've mixed up some seasoning and put it into a 35mm container especially for the occasion :)

bushwacker bob

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 22, 2003
STRANGEUS PLACEUS
if your trout are small they can be rapidly smoked on your campfire.as it only takes a few minutes you only need a small fire and handful of grass. i know several trout fishermen who swear by this method of cooking little brownies

Raz

Nomad
Sep 3, 2003
all over
Seasons over now :(
but I'll be sure to give both a go come next spring. My tummys rumberling already :wink:

Thanks, and keep the ideas comming!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE