trout taste like mud...

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Macaroon

A bemused & bewildered
Jan 5, 2013
SE Wales
Don't fish for a while after the river has been in spate, both the water and their food will be muddy. We always used to be told to keep and carry brownies with their heads upwards until such time as we could wash them through with freash water, that waqy the muddy water won't be able to get under the scales and into the gills to muddy the flesh but will drain away as the scales and gills are designed to make the flow go.

Everyone carried trout hung on a stick, heads up, over their shoulder 'till they got to clear water, then rinsed them and gutted them. Sadly no brownies left anywhere near here now, they're all hybridised with the stocked rainbows which infest all the waters every time there's a flood, and we've had a lot of floods these past few years :(

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
Likely Salmo trutta santaman - unless nic is outside of the UK. Sea run brown trout, as a steelhead is to a rainbow, so sea trout are to brown trout in the UK. I'm not sure how well they do in the North Americas but the Tierra del Fuego is a 'mecca' for them in the South Americas and the runs around the Falklands are supposed to be pretty good too.

Google image:
trout.jpg

Thanks. I never gave it much thought until I got here; then I was surprised at just how many species there are.

Ruud

Jun 29, 2012
Belgium
www.rudecheers.wordpress.com
Trout that feeds on plants and weeds usually have white/grey flesh and those who feed on smaller fish usually have pink flesh, which I think are more tasteful. We used to fish on a stream with a small lake right next to it. The trout caught from the river where more muscular and all had delicious pink flesh, as where those who were caught from the small lake all tasted a bit stale and old.

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
They are what they eat. Same as us, I suppose. Lots of small, unmapped pot-hole lakes in the central interior of British Columbia.
Fish one in the morning, fish another in the afternoon. Taste, colors and appearances of two different races of Rainbows.

Stevie777

Native
Jun 28, 2014
Strathclyde, Scotland
Depends on the river i suppose..Slow cooked on a open fire..ie, Smoked, i'm pretty sure the muddiness would disappear some.

In all honesty i've never had a Muddy tasting Troot.

My local river, South Calder, there's more chance of you catching a 4lb sanitary Towel than a Trout at times, but they taste awesome....The Trout, not the Towels.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE