Chicken off the wood mushroom

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Poacherman

Banned
Sep 25, 2023
Wigan
Today I found a large chicken off the wood mushroom.8 kilos easy I cubed salted n fried simply with onions in butter.It does taste like chicken I recommend it highly ,I carnt upload pics for some reason .So Iv changed my avatar from a sea trout that I caught to the mushroom I found .

Reactions: Toddy

JonathanD

Ophiological Genius
Sep 3, 2004
Stourton,UK
I’ve never found one that tastes of chicken (most of mine comes off yew or sweet chestnut), but I do like it fried in jersey butter with some venison. Cracking stuff.

156653E9-3394-4F16-9D7B-A8945B7D4BC4.jpeg

Last edited:
Reactions: jcr71 and Toddy

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
I don't know what chicken tastes like, but CotW tastes like good mushroom to me :)
Fried in butter, a good twist of fresh ground black pepper....lovely stuff :)
It's firm enough to cook well as an ingredient in stew too.

I love the stuff, but ye gods it gives me indigestion :frown:

Reactions: Poacherman

slowworm

May 8, 2008
Devon
I've had chicken that doesn't taste of chicken...

Quite partial to a bit of CotW but we don't get much down here. Had a small one on one of our oak stumps but I left it to spread.

TeeDee

Nov 6, 2008
Exeter
I've turned COTW into deep fried crust covered 'KFC' pieces , turned it into a very good mushroom dipping sauce/ketchup and also had a half hearted attempt with turning the more dodgy pieces into an infusement for Vodka.

Reactions: Poacherman

Poacherman

Banned
Sep 25, 2023
Wigan
I've turned COTW into deep fried crust covered 'KFC' pieces , turned it into a very good mushroom dipping sauce/ketchup and also had a half hearted attempt with turning the more dodgy pieces into an infusement for Vodka.
How did the vodka infusion go ?doesn’t sound v palatable .I bet the kfc was good though .

TeeDee

Nov 6, 2008
Exeter
How did the vodka infusion go ?doesn’t sound v palatable .I bet the kfc was good though .

Yep - pretty dire to be honest. Just Vodka with a weird after taste. Not right on so many levels.

KFC pieces of more accurately COTWKFC pieces were on point and difficult to discern from the real thing.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE