Trekking poles

marooned

Settler
Jul 25, 2010
Somerset
Hello All,

I am making this request on behalf of my mother's friend who has osteoarthritis and would like a pair of trekking poles to help her get about more easily. I wondered if anyone has some which they don't use or could part with.

Maybe I could find something you'd like in exchange.

Thanks for looking! :)

dave53

On a new journey
Jan 30, 2010
wales
hi fella go outdoors are selling trekking poles at the moment £2 each bought some today good value regards dave

roger-uk

Settler
Nov 21, 2009
long Eaton
Home Bargains also have them in antishock flavour at 2.99.
Simon

Before you buy walking poles I find that the one with the L shaped handles are better for my arthritis as they can be leaned on more easily. The stright handles which are o.k. are not as versatile.

Just my 2p

Paul_B

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
You use poles by sticking the hand UP through the loop then down to grip the handle loosely. This means the support from the straps acts on your, hopefully, stronger wrists not your grip. Your grip, even with a healthy person, would tire sooner if you don't use the straps this way.

Not sure if the above helps because if the hand is bad then perhaps the wrist is too and taking weight on a bad wrist might hurt a bit perhaps. I know with using the straps this way you only loosely hold the upright pole grip to really just guide the pole's motion. The pole would be set longer so with your upper arms vertical against your side the elbow forms 90 degrees when on the flat.

Sorry if sounds like lecturing but thought I would mention it in case it helps.

roger-uk

Settler
Nov 21, 2009
long Eaton
You use poles by sticking the hand UP through the loop then down to grip the handle loosely. This means the support from the straps acts on your, hopefully, stronger wrists not your grip. Your grip, even with a healthy person, would tire sooner if you don't use the straps this way.

Not sure if the above helps because if the hand is bad then perhaps the wrist is too and taking weight on a bad wrist might hurt a bit perhaps. I know with using the straps this way you only loosely hold the upright pole grip to really just guide the pole's motion. The pole would be set longer so with your upper arms vertical against your side the elbow forms 90 degrees when on the flat.

Sorry if sounds like lecturing but thought I would mention it in case it helps.

Its a good point and from seeing many people with the poles very often onitted.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE