Trekking Poles.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

s'étonner

Forager
Aug 19, 2010
Leicester, UK
Greetings :)

I'm currently recovering from a long term groin strain which I got back in August last year when running. This July, I am planning to go on my first proper hike- a 90mile, 6/7 day trip through part of the Cevennes region in the south of France.

Although I've never cared for the idea of using trekking poles, after doing a bit of reading, it seems like they may be a wise consideration, given my current condition?

I really don't want to break the bank when buying some, but at the same time, weight, and packing size when collapsed would be important to me. I'm also thinking about buying a Tarptent Notch or Tarptent Contrail, and so I could use Trekking poles in place of tent poles for erecting either of these.

So far, I've looked at some Black Diamonds, Leki's and Pacer Poles online.

Can anyone on here offer me any advice? Can I fullfill my requirements whilst spending less than say 50 quid? Or am I realistically looking at double that?

Thanks for reading, I would greatly appreciate any advice.

Rich.

kard133

Mar 20, 2010
Bath
Try the wilkinsons trekking pole , extends to 145cm, around 50cm collapsed, and about 300g in weight, easily supported my 76 kilos plus the 26 kilos of kit I was carrying when I had to push myself back out of the snow in Norway, cost me £8. Another budget option would be one made by trekrite, retails for around £7, but only extends to 135cm

s'étonner

Forager
Aug 19, 2010
Leicester, UK
Thanks for the suggestions guys. The BackpackingLight ones do look decent. I think I'd rather look at some slightly above my price range like those than get some really cheap ones. You usually get what you pay for, and I'd hate to have one fail on me while I'm halfway through my hike!

Teepee

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 15, 2010
Northamptonshire
I have a few sets of poles-Leki carbons, titaniums, aluminiums, Aldi carbons and some cheap highlander poles.

Every time, I now reach for the Leki Aluminiums( warm Thermolite handle and antishock). They are strong enough to support my full weight on steam crossings and the like and I'm still on the original Carbide tips after a couple of thousand miles.

A a bigger chap who likes bouncing off rocks, the thinner UL poles just haven't got the strength to cope with heavy use. Personally, I miss the antishock when I use a set without it.

theoctagon

Nomad
Sep 3, 2010
Yorkshire
I've been using the cascade mountain tech carbon poles for a good few months now, they've performed very well, inc being used to support my Trailstar. As the names they're carbon so are pretty light weight. I love the grips on them too, far better than others i've tried. Can be had for around £20 a pair inc extra baskets etc from Amazon.

There's a few threads on the BPL forum about them and a good deal of info here if you want to read a bit more but they're definetly worth a look

Matt

Last edited:

tartanferret

Aug 25, 2011
barnsley
I'm looking to get a pair myself but I don't want to break the bank Either. I've seen Black Diamond poles mentioned a lot over on Hammockforums, They seem to like the locking mechanism.

The cheaper ones are these

I'd like to know if these would be OK ? anyone tried 'em ?

Cheers !

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
I really rate my Pacers and recommend them to anyone, the slightly different way they're used makes them great for long days in the hills.

I went for the alloy ones over the carbon as they give a bit more strength for my Trailstar, and less likely to go brittle in the colder months.

Macaroon

A bemused & bewildered
Jan 5, 2013
SE Wales
One of the things you get for the expense involved in buying quality poles is the lack of noise, they're allmostly quiet when new, but it doesn't take long for the cheapos to start rattling, especially the metal ones - carbon fiber is a bit better but they can still be noisy.

The big thing for me though, is the old thing about reliability. Many people will have had great service from cheap poles and will speak very highly of them - nothing at all wrong with that - but what happens when you're on a good hike, everything's fine, you're walking wqell with the poles and they are also supporting your shelter............then something goes pop on one of them........trip ruined............you have to do something about replacing kit in less than ideal circumstances, if indeed you can replace them. That reliability is what you pay for when you buy the good 'uns.

I don't know about you, but kit failure is the worst thing that can happen to ruin a trip for me, I'd rather pay the money and be as sure as I can be of the stuff I'm using. BTW I gave up on trekking poles and now use a self - made lightweight stick - never breaks and doesn't make a sound!..............Just my take on it,......................atb mac

Andy BB

Apr 19, 2010
Hampshire
I used the Aldi/Lidl(?) Blackspur carbon-fibre ones in Norway. Got a nice shock-absorber in them, and survived my weight! Around £14 or so if I remember correctly. Worth bearing in mind when they stock them.

Teepee

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 15, 2010
Northamptonshire
I used the Aldi/Lidl(?) Blackspur carbon-fibre ones in Norway. Got a nice shock-absorber in them, and survived my weight! Around £14 or so if I remember correctly. Worth bearing in mind when they stock them.

I do rate my pair for value, but on the last visit they had changed to aluminium. Look very similar though.

tartanferret

Aug 25, 2011
barnsley
I really rate my Pacers and recommend them to anyone, the slightly different way they're used makes them great for long days in the hills.

Look good !:) the ergonomic design reminds me of a "Quickfire joystick" I used to have for my spectrum computer and also some of the stuff my sculpture friend knocks out.

Do they click ?

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
Look good !:) the ergonomic design reminds me of a "Quickfire joystick" I used to have for my spectrum computer and also some of the stuff my sculpture friend knocks out.

Do they click ?

Only the tungsten tips if using on tarmac, if I'm doing many miles on rock or road I'll just carry the rubber tip covers.

s'étonner

Forager
Aug 19, 2010
Leicester, UK
Thanks for all the recommendation guys. I have a lot of investigating to do when I get home from work!

Shewie- The Pacer Poles I looked at didn't seem to have straps. Aren't they crucial to use poles in the correct way? ie- all your force is placed upon the strap rather the handle? Is this where the difference lies between Pacers and normal poles?

Thanks.

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
s'étonner;1295987 said:
Thanks for all the recommendation guys. I have a lot of investigating to do when I get home from work!

Shewie- The Pacer Poles I looked at didn't seem to have straps. Aren't they crucial to use poles in the correct way? ie- all your force is placed upon the strap rather the handle? Is this where the difference lies between Pacers and normal poles?

Thanks.

Yeah that's exactly it, due to the grip angle and hand placement the heel of your palms are directly over the top of the pole. The downward force is applied through the grip rather than a conventional strap. I find that I grip them quite lightly with the fingers and thumb, it's more of a down and back movement which comes from the palm.

There's probably a much better description than I'm managing on their website :)

Dunx

Apr 8, 2013
West Wales
They have some in Lidls this coming Thursday £4.99 iirc will be getting one... may become noisy but Ive not used one before so considering it as it would be good to see if its a worthwhile investment

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
They have some in Lidls this coming Thursday £4.99 iirc will be getting one... may become noisy but Ive not used one before so considering it as it would be good to see if its a worthwhile investment

That's pretty much what I did, I poo pood them for years thinking they were for the red sock rambling brigade. I eventually bought one but hardly ever used it, it was going cheap in a sale so I thought I'd buy it. Then on a weekender to the Lakes I took it along and couldn't believe the difference it made on the legs with both ascents and descents, after that I carried it for every hiking trip.
When you get into a rhythm with two it's a whole step up again, you just skip down the dodgy descents, especially in light footwear, and the climbs become so much easier and the legs don't burn half as much.

theoctagon

Nomad
Sep 3, 2010
Yorkshire
That's pretty much the same for me too, they really do make a massive difference. As well as the benefits to the knees i've found they let me look around more and enjoy the views rather than having to always be cheking where i'm placing my feet. I got some cheaper poles just to try them out before investing further and to be fair for the price i've been very impressed with the casade carbon poles but when the funds allow I'll be ordering some pacer poles as I've heard nothing but good about them.

Just can't decide which model to go for, alloy, carbon, or the two piece alloy/carbons! General consensus seems to be go for alloy if they're going to be used for supporting a shelter as well as when walking but still aren't sure!

Matt

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE