Tree felling with the Iban of Borneo

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Woody

Forager
I just thought I would share this little clip with every one. These guys, I have had the pleasure of knowing and working with for over 25 years.
I have just spent another month with them in the jungles of Borneo - every time I do, I learn something new.
They may not have the formal training (or the PPE!!) but you can guarantee they will drop their tree on the button every time, true masters of the jungle, beit with a Parang in their hand or an oversized chain saw.

Woody

[video=youtube;I9QW8k1JGxk]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I9QW8k1JGxk[/video]

maddave

Jan 2, 2004
Manchester UK
Yep, pretty much.

Thanks for posting, I presume they carried out a risk assessment? Was the H&S manual on site? :)

No risk assessment here mate. They use a form of deep transcendental magic that has been lost to the western world... You can still find reference to it in old archives buried away.... It was called "Common Sense" ;)

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
So when 'loggers' cut down trees they are the bad people and members here are up in arms.

When the natives cut down trees its OK lol

Some of you lot are strange.

Broomstickize

Forager
Jul 28, 2011
Suffolk, UK
Locals are generally few in number and not as resource hungry as your average person in the 'developed' world. So it's more that the locals total impact is much smaller than the hungry appetites of the world at large.

That said it doesn't mean they are efficient - e.g. Indigenous Americans sometimes used to drive whole herds of buffalo of cliffs to kill the animals they wanted before guns came along for them.

Not really on topic for a post about a guys method for feeling a tree?

My 2p.

Imagedude

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 24, 2011
Gwynedd
Sweet, looks like a Stihl MS880. Nice. Or perhaps those dudes are really small and it's just a little Stihl MS460.

Woody

Forager
Hmmmmmmm, some interesting and un-expected points raised there!

Yes, it was for their own use, construction - because it is now done with a chainsaw rather than an axe does it suddenly become un ethical?

I can remember when they would use one small tree, de- barked for every strut in the roof. Maybe 50 or 60 trees for one dwelling - now they cut one down and plank it - I think you will find the husbandry of their natural resources are beyond question.

Question - how many trees and bushes have you cut down this year indulging in your 'hobby' of bushcraft!?

Discuss! : )

“We men of this age are rotten with book-lore and with a yearning for the past.

The Last Generation

― James Elroy Flecker
and yes, I include myself in the above quote before any one kicks off! : )

grey-array

Feb 14, 2012
The Netherlands
Although I understand people saying, that they feel sad seeing such a large tree being felled,
I must jump into this discussion on the `lungs of the earth` quote. As old trees that no longer grow are not producing anywhere near the amount of oxygen that is provided by new growth, and therefore if you´d want the lungs of the earth to breath better or faster you should employ some thinning or selective felling so that new growth has a chance, I guess the point I'm trying to make is that felling trees is actually necessary, just as forest fires are necessary but like everything in moderation.

if people want to go further into this subject I would love to but dont mean to hijack any thread so in that case start a new thread and we'll discuss the very mechanics of oxygen winning trees. Which I did some studies about last year, or I need an Okay from our dear sir Woody ^^ then we will just continue in this thread making this a full scaled Hijack :pirate::pirate::pirate: YARR!! Avast ye swobs

yours sincerely Ruud

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
Hmmmmmmm, some interesting and un-expected points raised there!

Yes, it was for their own use, construction - because it is now done with a chainsaw rather than an axe does it suddenly become un ethical?

I can remember when they would use one small tree, de- barked for every strut in the roof. Maybe 50 or 60 trees for one dwelling - now they cut one down and plank it - I think you will find the husbandry of their natural resources are beyond question.

Question - how many trees and bushes have you cut down this year indulging in your 'hobby' of bushcraft!?

Discuss! : )

“We men of this age are rotten with book-lore and with a yearning for the past.

The Last Generation

― James Elroy Flecker
and yes, I include myself in the above quote before any one kicks off! : )

None, I burn coal in my stove ... but thats a whole different debate. ;)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE