Tree camping, does anyone do it?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

pastymuncher

Nomad
Apr 21, 2010
The U.K Desert
Does anyone here camp/sleep in trees.
I'm not talking about tying a hammock to them at ground level, more high level camping on portaledges etc. Obviously requires climbing gear and a knowledge of how to use it, which I have btw.
I've seen a couple of websites in the U.S. that talk about it, but I've not heard of anybody in the U.K.
There are some nice big Beech trees nearby that I fancy having a go at.

This is just for recreational purposes before anyone starts talking about environmental protesters and the like.

TJRoots

Nomad
Jul 16, 2009
East sussex
oh god just the idea terrifies me, i'm not good with heights, that wouldnt be a problem if i was VERY securely strapped in but i also have a major problem with being restrained. definately not one for me.

TJ

jdlenton

Dec 14, 2004
Northampton
that sounds ace I've done my fair share of SRT so I'm interested as to what you get up to but never heard of it before sorry

_scorpio_

Need to contact Admin...
Dec 22, 2009
east sussex UK
Arn't beech trees the ones that can drop branches and it is reccomended not to camp under them?
Alan
i was going to say they are quite good at dropping big branches at the wrong time... i can see the benefit of being in a tree when there are wolves and stuff around but i dont think a rabbit attack is a good enough excuse :D

addo

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 8, 2006
Derbyshire
Im giving it a go this year at some point.
I'll take my tree climbing gear and a buddy with his, and kip in the hamock with the harness clipped into the line with a good anchor point when sleeping.

There were folks in america, in the 70's doing this at the top of 300' redwoods so a 50' oak will be very nicely chilled. :)

No point to it mind, just a bit of fun. But, theres always the thought of making a stick raft and cover it in mud for a fire site in the tree.

Last edited:

pastymuncher

Nomad
Apr 21, 2010
The U.K Desert
Im giving it a go this year at some point.
I'll take my tree climbing gear and a buddy with his, and kip in the hamock with the harness clipped into the line with a good anchor point when sleeping.

There were folks in america, in the 70's doing this at the top of 300' redwoods so a 50' oak will be very nicely chilled. :)

No point to it mind, just a bit of fun. But, theres always the thought of making a stick raft and cover it in mud for a fire site in the tree.

Let me know if you want another one along!

pastymuncher

Nomad
Apr 21, 2010
The U.K Desert
Maybe I'll give the beech trees a miss then, there are some Oak and Conifers around as well.
I have a portaledge from my big wall climbing days, and would like to make some use of it.

SOAR

Jan 21, 2007
cheshire
It does sound good, always fancied it myself, I know alot of guys use these.

http://www.newtribe.com/TBhome.htm

I think I would just use my hammock and good anchor point and maybe strop on another branch aswell.
Addo mate if you fancy it mate give us a shout.

Peter_t

Native
Oct 13, 2007
East Sussex
i mite have to give that a go some day. i would definately keep my harness on in the hammock.
but i would be happy to sleep in a beech. i have worked in loads of them, you could jump up and down on them and they won't break off. if a branch is dodgy it is quite obvious close up, its not like some people say when branches snap off for no reason.

there was a program on last year called 'climbing the giants' where 3 guys climbed a huge eucaliptus and slept n it, some 80m i think.

pete

Jan 28, 2010
ontario
I've seen those portaledge things and they are way cool, but not exactly a lightweight thing to hike with.....
and then for something completely different, there's Julia Butterfly Hill....

Biker

Like TJRots said: "You'll never get me up in one of those"

Not only do I toss and turn in my sleep but I'm also groggy when I wake up so stepping out of my hammock I'd need something good and stable underfoot. I'd even have reservations about using this:

20080219-ultra-treehouses.jpg

Good luck folks. And thanks for the Monty Python memory lane.

"I soiled my armour!"

Genius!

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
For our Scouts "Dragon Award" (a challenge badge for Welsh Scouts that involves sleeping in wierd places...including a certain hight off the deck) my Venture unit built a tree platform to sleep in...about 15' off the ground on the high side... I slept in my hammock slung from one of the branches...it was difficult to get in and out - so I took a pee bottle for the first time and became a convert!
In the morning I decided not to bother climbing back out of the hammock, through the tree and down (the chilli was insisting I got up) and did a "fingertip drop" from the support branch next to the hammock...it nearly sent my knees through my skull, my being heavier than I realised and the drop a long one...I should have "parachute rolled"...but forgot!
It feels wierd camping in a tree!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE