Tree camping, does anyone do it?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

shaggystu

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 10, 2003
Derbyshire
love the idea, this could be exactly the kind of thing i've been looking for to get the girlfriend interested in sleeping in the woods. pastymuncher, if you're up for a bit of company i'd love to give it a try at some point, i offloaded all my climbing gear years ago so but as in all things enthusiasm and stupidity can replace nearly all safety meaasures. if you've got somewhere in mind then that's great, but if not i think my usual wild camping spot would be pretty good, it's really mixed mature woodland so there's a bit of everything there, something's bound to be suitable.

cheers

stuart

Biker

Have you guys see the Treepee - http://www.treepee.com/

Clicked on the link expecting to see some sort of arboreal latrine... Y'know treepee

And I was right! :lmao:

I can see that one going down a storm. Sharing the tent with your wife/life-partner would be fun if they fidgetted a lot during the night, you'd end up with seasickness.

Looks to be about 1 foot off the deck too. That's nose bleed heights for some who've posted here. Maybe they do a "shrubbery" version a bit lower to the ground :lmao:

Seriously though it looks like a novel idea. I wonder what the base platform is made of? No price tag either I see :bluThinki

itsahabit

May 4, 2010
Leeds
For our Scouts "Dragon Award" (a challenge badge for Welsh Scouts that involves sleeping in wierd places...including a certain hight off the deck) my Venture unit built a tree platform to sleep in...about 15' off the ground on the high side... I slept in my hammock slung from one of the branches...it was difficult to get in and out - so I took a pee bottle for the first time and became a convert!
In the morning I decided not to bother climbing back out of the hammock, through the tree and down (the chilli was insisting I got up) and did a "fingertip drop" from the support branch next to the hammock...it nearly sent my knees through my skull, my being heavier than I realised and the drop a long one...I should have "parachute rolled"...but forgot!
It feels wierd camping in a tree!

Our Scouts have something similar- The Yorkshire Challenge Award.
We are about to do something along this line by building a sleeping platform about 15 feet up. I just hope it doesn't all end in tears!

stardust

Oct 15, 2007
somerset
i've thought about this on and off for years and never heard any one else talk about it. i am desperate to give it a go as i love climbing trees. i would happily sleep in beeches when it is dry but i would probably be a little wary of them in the wind after a heavy rain.

one of my main reasons for wanting to give it a go is because i'm a female who often sleeps out alone and i figure it will make me so much harder to find, therefore it would be a lot safer from a not getting mugged point of view. but the thought of falling out hadn't really occurred to me. i have a spare net hammock that i might tie underneath to catch me if i were to go wandering in the night.

Tenderfoot
Dec 9, 2009
england
i remember seeing a hammock at the top of a very curvaceous tree when i was looking for hammocks on the net

and a fella had had set up his hammock off the side of a cliff, not even a ledge just literally over a dead drop, :yikes:

ill have a google and see if i can find the pics

tree one
http://i2.cdn.turner.com/money/gall...y.climbing_amazon.fsb/images/tim_hammocks.jpg

a cliff one, not the one i was looking for and not really a hammock but still along the same lines
http://www.climbing.nl/images/nieuws/winterinyosemite05.jpg

and this may be of some interest, the pics with a safety nets are a good idea, if i even gave it a go i wouldn't want to do it without one
http://www.solomax.com/monkey-spider.html
that max bit at the bottom is a good read

Last edited:

Elines

Oct 4, 2008
Leicestershire
....... this may be of some interest, the pics with a safety nets are a good idea, if i even gave it a go i wouldn't want to do it without one
http://www.solomax.com/monkey-spider.html

Ok - I know its borinig old f*rt time - but the people in the pictures seem to be lounging about/moving around up trees without being fastened on - not a good idea.

People interested in canopy dwelling might find something of interest in the 'Tree Climbers International' site, especially:

http://www.treeclimbing.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=category&layout=blog&id=44&Itemid=117

pastymuncher

Nomad
Apr 21, 2010
The U.K Desert
i

. but the thought of falling out hadn't really occurred to me. i have a spare net hammock that i might tie underneath to catch me if i were to go wandering in the night.

I have spent time in a portaledge on cliffs and would recommend you are tied in while in your hammock. The generally accepted method when climbing is to tie the climbing rope around your waist, obviously the rope would have to be tied off securely and short enough to make sure you wont fall far. The other option is to make a harness out of a climbing sling, wearing a climbing harness is possible but uncomfortable.
I have heard of climbers tying the rope around their ankle so that they could perform with their partner without encumbrance:D
Might be a little difficult to explain why you are hanging from a tree by your ankle though:)

Biker

I have heard of climbers tying the rope around their ankle so that they could perform with their partner without encumbrance:D
Might be a little difficult to explain why you are hanging from a tree by your ankle though:)

Some say we evolved from apes, seems if you're into doing it in trees then it holds some credence that evolution is circular :lmao:

As for those pix of hanging off a cliff in a treepee. :yikes: (shudder!)

Tenderfoot
Dec 9, 2009
england
Ok - I know its borinig old f*rt time - but the people in the pictures seem to be lounging about/moving around up trees without being fastened on - not a good idea.

you take your safety into your own hands i guess ;) as with anything remotely dangerous,

stardust

Oct 15, 2007
somerset
I have climbed many tree in the past and reached heights that, if I'd fallen, would probably have killed me. But I also get in a car each day and lots of people die doing that as well, so I guess I just don't worry enough.

Perhaps I will start off camping out in fairly low trees, assess the risk, and if I fall out I'll know to take more precautions the higher up I go.

treelore

Nomad
Jan 4, 2008
Northamptonshire
I'm shamed to say that for some one that climbs trees and works on them day to day, that i have never spent the night in one, but have slept in caves. So peeps you've inspired me this summer to give it a go.

As for beech dropping limbs.....all trees do it, including the mighty Oak. so before climbing just have a good look at the health of the tree, look out for dead, dying, or infected limbs. fungus and other living things i.e bats etc....

good luck everyone and have fun,

pango

Nomad
Feb 10, 2009
Fife
Sorry folks but I fail to see the point unless solely as a novelty!

I am aware that there are some cultures that live in trees out of necessity, as defence against flooding, predatory animals, etc, and at least one forest people who have taken this to the level of status symbol with regard to the comparative height of the dwellings.

In the tropics, there are a variety of venomous snakes which live in the canopy and hunt in trees and many insects which might take exception to your occupation of their protectorate.
With regard to bears, an American I used to work with once said of grizzlies, "There's no use in climbing a tree. That just means you're going to die up a tree!"

We have no dangerous predators in the UK and only the adder is actually venomous, which won't bother you if you don't bother it. If you fear biting insects and ticks then you might want to reconsider going into the great outdoors at all, as midges, mozzies, clegs and various other Munchers are no respectors of height. If flooding is an issue then move to a sensible location, as it might take Search and Rescue a while to get round to you.

I've spent as many nights as I wish to benighted on mountain ledges, cracks and chimneys, or in what we used to call a Tiger's Web. I can think of a few which were memorable, usually due to misery, but none which were comfortable, gave a decent nights rest or bore the luxury of a fire.

Give me cave, overhang, doss, howff, woodland, mountain, coastline, loch or riverside any day and I'll be a contented man beside my fire.

The only explanation I can think of for anyone wanting to sleep up a tree is that they've never been cold, wet and miserable.

Last edited:

stardust

Oct 15, 2007
somerset
Sorry folks but I fail to see the point unless solely as a novelty!............The only explanation I can think of for anyone wanting to sleep up a tree is that they've never been cold, wet and miserable.

As a lone female camper, my sole reason for wanting to sleep high off the ground is that, unless they know that I'm there, no-one will ever find me. I like climbing trees and feel, from a security point of view, that I would sleep much better with out worrying about anyone stumbling over me. I appreciate the odds are low but the consequences could be more than unpleasant.

pastymuncher

Nomad
Apr 21, 2010
The U.K Desert
Sorry folks but I fail to see the point unless solely as a novelty!

And the problem with that is?

I've spent as many nights as I wish to benighted on mountain ledges, cracks and chimneys, or in what we used to call a Tiger's Web. I can think of a few which were memorable, usually due to misery, but none which were comfortable, gave a decent nights rest or bore the luxury of a fire.

I refer you to your first sentence i.e. why would anyone want to spend their time climbing a mountain which involved dossing in a crack or on a ledge.

Give me cave, overhang, doss, howff, woodland, mountain, coastline, loch or riverside any day and I'll be a contented man beside my fire.

The only explanation I can think of for anyone wanting to sleep up a tree is that they've never been cold, wet and miserable.

Sleeping on a portaledge is neither cold or wet and definitely not miserable.
The need to use them climbing in the U.K. is limited, hence the tree suggestion.
Obviously not everyones cup of tea, but as has become evident there is an interest in doing it.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE