treating antler

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
D'you mean to stand out as in looking white, or to get the different colours if you sand the top off the ridges?

Cheers,
Toddy

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
I wondered because the white can be bleached to bring out the colour.
I've got a friend who makes walking sticks, and Hugh just uses beeswax and almond oil on his antler handles. If you melt some grated beeswax, (a chunk about the size of a shelled half walnut will thicken/set two tablspoonsful of almond oil into a cream ) and add to some warmed oil (stand the mixing container in hot water) and then remove from the heat and stir gently until it begins to set, it'll make the cream.

I'm sure there are lots of other ways too, though. Most likely some of the knife makers will know a lot more about it that I do.

Cheers,
Mary

I haven't used it much in knife making , but when i did I rubbed down to 1200grit wet , cleaned it off with a bit of meths on a cloth and just used libron furniture was , then buffed it came out very nice , as said above I also like it to be the natural colour so bleaching I wouldn't consider doing.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE