Pimping my boxes

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Tengu

Jan 10, 2006
Wiltshire
Storing my leatherwork kit in wine boxes, the sort with sliding lids

the double one is very helpful; Im gettin another.

But how best to make more durable?

Im considering corners, but the wood?

wax or varnish?

Reactions: ManFriday4

Broch

Life Member
Jan 18, 2009
Mid Wales
www.mont-hmg.co.uk
Durable?

Wood only really deteriorates if it's damp, and your leather will have spoiled long before the wood gave way. For basic storage, in a dry environment, I quite like both the aesthetic and practicality of bare wood :)

However, if you mean you want to provide a level of protection for the leather from water, then you'll want something that has no chance of contaminating the leather such as a bee's wax and oil mix. But, if that really is what you need, I'd be packing the leather in plastic bags first anyway.

The thing I have to protect my hides against is rodents - and wood is not the best storage space for that :(

Tengu

Jan 10, 2006
Wiltshire
This is to carry my kit about in, and keep it organised.

`Durable` as in bash proof, not weather proof.

Needless to say, I have lots of beeswax!

Nice65

Brilliant!
Apr 16, 2009
W.Sussex
Those wine boxes are made of thin Pine panels. Furniture wax such as Briwax and brass corners like this sort of thing? I googled brass box corners.

Beeswax melted with a little bit of Turpentine, dash of Linseed. Lots of recipes out there.

Last edited:

Broch

Life Member
Jan 18, 2009
Mid Wales
www.mont-hmg.co.uk
Ah, makes more sense. Corners, as she and you have said, then maybe leather straps screwed/riveted/stapled around the base and up the sides :). I'm not sure any external wax/oil treatment will make them more 'bash proof'.

TBH, I'm not sure of the style box Tengu is describing so maybe I'm way off.

Nice65

Brilliant!
Apr 16, 2009
W.Sussex
Ah, makes more sense. Corners, as she and you have said, then maybe leather straps screwed/riveted/stapled around the base and up the sides :). I'm not sure any external wax/oil treatment will make them more 'bash proof'.

TBH, I'm not sure of the style box Tengu is describing so maybe I'm way off.

Flattish box, so 6 or 12 bottles lie on their sides, supported by slotted together wooden half round cutouts to stop them moving. The cutouts are chuckaway, but the boxes have a recessed sliding lid. They’re a bit like cigar boxes, but bigger and sliding lids instead of hinges.

Reactions: Broch

Tengu

Jan 10, 2006
Wiltshire
I dont think it would suit me.

But the Leatherworkers box in Edinburgh museum has a Celtic spiral design carved on it.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE