travel fly gear?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

wattsy

Native
Dec 10, 2009
Lincoln
i'm looking to get into fly fishing but i don't drive so i'm looking for a set up that doesn't cost the earth (but not tat at the same time) and that packs down good and small so i don't get glared at on buses. i reckon i need about a 6 weight there's only small stillwaters around my area and i'll be poking around the odd stream in the peaks and lakes so nothing too heavy. any suggestions?

cheers
matt

marcelxl

Settler
May 2, 2010
Kamloops, B.C.
There's loads of decent 4pce rods these days without spending a fortune, it seems like many companies have seen the market and done a lot of ranges in 4 sections as standard.

I went 4pce in all my fly rods some time ago, I have 1 #10 Pike flyrod in 3pce but all the rest are 4 or more by Fulling Mill, Cabelas, Greys & Airflo.

I keep seeing the Shakespeare (Expedition?) come up a lot so might be worth a look?

But as you are looking for a #6 which is a popular weight and covers river fishing too I would guess you will have plenty of options.
Try tacklebargains or glasgow angling both of those seem to have a good few multi sectioned fly rods the last time I was looking, particularly tackle bargains as they have some of the obscure american rods which are very good without the brand snobbery with is endemic in UK flyfishing!

NS40

Nomad
Nov 20, 2011
Scotland
I've got a Shakespeare expedition 8'6" 4/5 weight which I bought as a backup but now use as my main river rod. It's a five section and a delight to use. I believe they also do a 9', 6 section 5/6 weight.

It's the ideal size for cramming into a rucksack or suitcase plus I carry it on and off buses/trains when going fishing.

I think mine was about £35 and I got it from either John Norris or Yorkshire Game Angling. (Can't remember which - both good companies, no association with either, yadda yadda...)

mercurykev

Forager
Sep 6, 2011
Musselburgh
I've got a Shakespeare Traveller Fly telescopic fly rod that I keep in my car and use when camping. I can be fishing in about 60 seconds, it's that quick to set up.

Dave

Hill Dweller
Sep 17, 2003
Brigantia
I'd highly recommend a Fladen Vantage travel fly rod for trout fishing on the rivers. You wont get any better for the money. As a beginner you would not be able to tell the difference between this and a £400 Hardy 3 weight.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/FLADEN-VA...tingGoods_FishingAcces_RL&hash=item46000d8b96

For Rivers:

Pair it up with a 3 or 4 weight floating line, some tapered leaders and a spool of 3lb Tippet. [Maxima is good reliable stuff.] And a selection of dry/wet flies in the size 14/16/18 range. Also you'll wanna get an Amadou patch, some decent forceps, [Orvis etc] Snips, a flotant like Gink, and a sinkant like Fullers earth, [mixed with fairy liquid.]

And at least a couple of hours lessons. A lot of clubs will have a beginners day once a year. Ring em and ask before you join. You may get a friendly bod who offers to take you out and show you a few things.

Mar 15, 2011
on the heather
Wychwood Quest 8.6 or 9 @ a #6, 6 pc. Around £100. I don’t know if this helps but if I had the cash no contest.
But I haven’t got the cash so as Dave said, probably the Fladen Vantage travel Fly Rod 4pc also or a good Shakespeare.
x2 reels 1 floater line and 1 sinker.

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE