Trangia versus This!!

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
There was a buy done on these about a year ago. IIRC the reviews on the stove using meths were none too positive sadly

Red

Greg

Jul 16, 2006
Pembrokeshire
British Red said:
There was a buy done on these about a year ago. IIRC the reviews on the stove using meths were none too positive sadly

Red

Well tie me to the mast and give me 50 lashes, and then keel haul me for good measure for not looking into it first:lmao: !

Honest governor I just came across it on the site and thought it might be a good topic for discussion.:(

So tell me Red what lets it down?:)

Silverback

Sep 29, 2006
England
I have one and I would say it's biggest problem is that it is not sealed in any way so you either need to use all your fuel or tip it away when you are done. Also the priming can be a real pain, messing about with cup washers and the like. It is also badly effected by wind so shielding has to be pretty much impenetrable or your heat is robbed from the bottom of your pan. It works well indoors with the lights out when I brew up my two young son's hot chocolate before they go to bed but I am afraid that is about the most fun I have with it :(

Greg

Jul 16, 2006
Pembrokeshire
Silverback said:
I have one and I would say it's biggest problem is that it is not sealed in any way so you either need to use all your fuel or tip it away when you are done. Also the priming can be a real pain, messing about with cup washers and the like. It is also badly effected by wind so shielding has to be pretty much impenetrable or your heat is robbed from the bottom of your pan. It works well indoors with the lights out when I brew up my two young son's hot chocolate before they go to bed but I am afraid that is about the most fun I have with it :(

So in other words its C**P!!:D

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
I had one given to me for a try out, it was crap. Its here in a box somewhere, if I can find it, you can have it :rolleyes:

addyb

Native
Jul 2, 2005
Vancouver Island, Canada.
Oh god...not the Triad stove again. I always wondered when that thing would come back to haunt me. I discovered it on a gear page eons ago and shuddered when I first saw it. And I just shuddered again.

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
addyb said:
Oh god...not the Triad stove again. I always wondered when that thing would come back to haunt me. I discovered it on a gear page eons ago and shuddered when I first saw it. And I just shuddered again.

Scheiße does have a habit of coming back to haunt you ;)

Ralph

Forager
Oct 31, 2005
lost
On British Blades there is a tutorial to make one of these from tin cans. Maybe if you have a spare hour and some tins it would be worth a try :banghead:
He he, I'll go now :theyareon :sadwavey:

May 25, 2006
Canada
www.freewebs.com
That's a Vargo stove, Brian Vargo himself said to never use Methyl Hyrdate, but Ethanol based alchohol.

Jon M purchased one at the Outdoor Adventure show, and we experimented.
We filled a steel mug with cold water, and tested;

-Isopropyl alchohol is alright, but doesn't have a long burn time.

-Methyl Hydrate was poor, barely warming the water.

-Ethanol boiled 4 litres of water... in about 9 minutes it was a rapid boil.

So going by the maker's own words... it was a worthwhile stove... although we later made 4 popcan stove for a fraction of the price :rolleyes: . Still, Titanium with stands, at that price?

I liked it.

cyclist

Need to contact Admin...
Sep 9, 2006
holstein
OzaawaaMigiziNini said:

wow, a mug full of water boiling in about 9 minutes - really quick....
... compared to have the winters sun doing the heating. :lmao:

So going by the maker's own words... it was a worthwhile stove... although we later made 4 popcan stove for a fraction of the price :rolleyes: . Still, Titanium with stands, at that price?

I liked it.

Titanium itself is expensive, the working with titanium is expensive too.
Titanium is a no-go material for alc.stoves (the evaporation takes far too long), better use aluminum or copper (brass contains copper- got the idea?).
As a result I don´t like the Triad

Btw, Aaron Rosenbloom www.brasslite.com is working on some improvements (better pot stand) on his Brasslite stoves - those are the ones that I´d compare withTrangias. IMHO Brasslite stoves are faster and lighter compared to "T" - while the "T" burner has the ability to store at least a weekends amount of fuel.

Again the usual disclaimer: I´m not affiliated to a stove manufacturer, I don´t make money from writing//reviewing/talking-about stoves and I paid money to get my "T"-stove, my Kelly Kettle and my Tatonka ti-pots.

Ralph

Forager
Oct 31, 2005
lost
If its the weight and size that puts people off trangias why not just buy a spare burner for a tenner and use it inside a hexi stove? Or even just stick three sticks in the ground and put the pot on top.

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Ethanol boiled 4 litres of water... in about 9 minutes it was a rapid boil.

cyclist said:
wow, a mug full of water boiling in about 9 minutes - really quick....
... compared to have the winters sun doing the heating. :lmao:

I'm amazed at the size of your mug ...tell me, why do you use a 4 litre mug :confused: :rolleyes:

Red

cyclist

Need to contact Admin...
Sep 9, 2006
holstein
oh no, I don´t use mugs that big.
Maybe I was a bit confused by this:

OzaawaaMigiziNini said:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE