Trangia clikstand - review

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

SquirrelBoy

Nomad
Feb 1, 2004
UK
Paganwolf said:
I just bought one from the bearclaw site,it does look a good bit of kit cant wait to test it out :biggthump
These look smashing bits of kit and dare I say it could even replace the Swedish mess kit ive got cos of it being lighter and more versatile etc.. but i`ll still be able to use the trangia burner from it :naughty:

Looks like Bearclaw will be busy sorting me out a few bits for christmass then :biggthump

rapidboy

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jun 14, 2004
BB
Looks like a nice bit of kit but i have two concerns.

1.Dosen't look like you can light it inside a tent (on a ground sheet) as the base will heat up like a military trangia ,the cicy version has the burner off the ground which means you can light them on almost any surface.

2.The civy trangia offers better protection from the wind with it's built in wind shield which reduces boil time and fuel consumption.

I like the idea of using a stainless billy instead if the trangia alu pots so it can be used over a fire.
Can titanium be used over an open fire like stainless?

rb

Gary

Apr 17, 2003
from Essex
Rapid, the trangia is actually off the ground when put into the stand so there is ground clearance (ignore the picture I put up I had it put together wrong) and the windshield which wraps around it (according to manufacturers tests) out preforms even the standard Trangia.

I am sure once a few people have had time to play with them you will see nothing but positive feed back.

Lastly I would warn against using ANY stove in a tent with a ground sheet or not unless fully eventilated - the risk of carbon monoxide or worse just isnt worth it.

rapidboy

Jun 14, 2004
BB
Gary said:
Rapid, the trangia is actually off the ground when put into the stand so there is ground clearance (ignore the picture I put up I had it put together wrong) and the windshield which wraps around it (according to manufacturers tests) out preforms even the standard Trangia.

I am sure once a few people have had time to play with them you will see nothing but positive feed back.

Lastly I would warn against using ANY stove in a tent with a ground sheet or not unless fully eventilated - the risk of carbon monoxide or worse just isnt worth it.

I've used trangia's for years in car's ,tents ,boats ,front seat of the landy (but always with ventilation :wink: ) that's why im interested to know if the base heats up enough to cause damage.
I see the wind shield (i was looking at Martyns pic without it on) and it looks like it would protect a trangia pot but the billy is still quite exposed.
Any chance of someone doing a boil comparison with one of these against a standard trangia and a military trangia?

The problem with standard trangias is the aluminium is really "dirty" compared to stainless.
I can scrub my stainless pots with a scourer and they are spotless but the trangia pots get really slimey and horrible and are harder to clean especially when your out.

rb

Gary

Apr 17, 2003
from Essex
Fair enough mate - had to mention the safety aspects though!!

Martyn did you do a speed test?

Moonraker

Need to contact Admin...
Aug 20, 2004
Dorset & France
Gary, nice review and pretty photo too :)

There is also a very good review on the ClikStand at:

BackPackGearTest - Clikstand Field Report

The reviewer gives some detailed boiling times with various heat sources including the Trangia and an MSR windshield. There are also two other reviews on the same site (just click the 'Clikstand Universal Stove System' path link at the top of the page)

All very favourable.

Another good site with detailed comparisons with other lightweight alcohol stoves and boiling times etc is here:

Review: Lightweight Alcohol Stoves for Backpacking

Again it is rated highly.

Here is a direct link to the Clickstand web site here which has lots of photos of it erected, folded down etc:

Clikstand

Looks an excellent piece of kit :biggthump

Any suggestions on the most suitable pot to go with this? I know that Clikstand sent out Evernew Ti .9 litre pots ( non stick) for those reviews and it is used on the other site also but with plastic coated handles not sure how useful that is for bushcraft? unless it is solely for use with this set up. I guess the windscreen limits the options.

Gary

Apr 17, 2003
from Essex
MR pots wise I believe Martyn used a Zebra billy can while I myself used an old improvished billy (biscuit tin) but any cooking pot up to a 14cm diameter will work with the windshield in place and without it the stand can take any size pot. (according to the literature)

Martyn

Bushcrafter through and through
Aug 7, 2003
staffordshire
www.britishblades.com
Gary said:
Fair enough mate - had to mention the safety aspects though!!

Martyn did you do a speed test?

No I didn't mate. I've taken it out once to a little spot I like locally, just for making a brew, so havent really thrashed it. It was quite a calm afternoon too, so didnt really put the windshield to the test either, but it seemed to boil just fine. Not very scientific, I know. Sorry. :?:

I suppose I could do a test against the Swedish kit, the genuine trangia and the clickstand, but to be honest, I never felt the need. It boils fine.

Martyn

Aug 7, 2003
staffordshire
www.britishblades.com
Moonraker said:
Any suggestions on the most suitable pot to go with this? I know that Clikstand sent out Evernew Ti .9 litre pots ( non stick) for those reviews and it is used on the other site also but with plastic coated handles not sure how useful that is for bushcraft? unless it is solely for use with this set up. I guess the windscreen limits the options.

You can chop and change the pots depending on your needs and circumstances. I have it set up with a 12cm zebra billy and it works nice. It likes 14cm pots though, but the 14cm zebra is a bit big 'n heavy for my needs. I was looking at the Vango 1 man cookset which looks like it's work well as a stainless steel option. The pots from the original trangia 27 work well too. If you wanted ultralight, there's various Ti options too. Or do like Gary and make your own billy from an old coffe can or something. Whatever.

But why I rate it so highly for bushcrafters, is because you can use it with your favourite billy. Untill this stand came out, if you wanted to use a billy and also have a little stove as well, you either had to get an (aluminium) swedish mess kit or take a billy and another stove of some sort - or make your own pot stand and windshield for your billy. But this is a really effective, pro solution for using a trangia burner with a stainless steel billy.

I will predict that once a few people get thier hands on these, you'll see a clickstand rated up there with a woodlore knife, aussie basha, thermarest, and grannyB. Brill kit. :biggthump

The only negative I could think of, was that using the simmer ring is awkward. You have to adjust the simmer ring first, then do a nifty hoopla throw to get it on the stove, adjusting the position and correcting a poor throw with a stick is often necessary - no great shakes and it's all do-able. Though in practice, I dont really use the simmer ring all that much. More often than not, I just want a fst boil for a brew. It can also be awkward to light with a lighter, I found that using a firesteel to throw sparks down the chimney was by far the best way of lighting the stove.

Did I say this is a brill bit of kit? Just in case I didn't - Brill kit. :biggthump

TAHAWK

Nomad
Jan 9, 2004
Ohio, U.S.A.
Adi007 said:
Nice setup faca!

I'm beginning to think that this might be a job for a sheet of titanium because it has low thermal conductivity and will (theoretically) keep the heat in.

I have seen several note the low thermal conductivity of Ti. It makes me question the validity of using Ti for cooking pots. Thoughts?

Tom

shinobi

Settler
Oct 19, 2004
Eastbourne, Sussex.
www.sussar.org
Titanium is used on Aircraft in areas exposed to very high temperature i.e. Engine exhaust cones and and brake linkages.

It is also very light and rigid which is the main reason it has been adopted by the mountaineering fraternity. As far as everything else goes, I think it is because it is fashionable and manufacturers can justify their inflated prices.

Martin

johnboy

Oct 2, 2003
Hamilton NZ
www.facebook.com
Hi,

TI does have a low thermal conductivity. Which on first imprssions would make it a poor choice for a cooking pot.

However it's also as tough as old boots which means you can produce a pot with an incredibly thin wall section and end up with a really ridged pot.

The thinner wall section then negates the fact that TI is a poor conductor because there is less material between the heat source and the contents of the pot.

Also because it's thinner its a lot lighter than say stainless steel. It also doesn't corrode or taint the contents and is extremely heat and corrosion resistant.

The US outdoor scene is going through a renassiance at the moment with ultra lightweight gear partly (this includes the clikstand) inspired by Ray Jardines book www.rayjardine.com and TI pots fit the bill.

If you want a really good pot without the cost of TI then check out the hard anodised products from several different manufactures (MSR's Black lite range as well as products from GSI) these are basically regular aluminium pots ( with Aluminiums excellent conductivity) but with a hard anodised coating which for the most part does away with problems like metallic taste in the food and difficulty in cleaning.
The Anodised coating lasts and lasts.

I have a set of GSI's pots and have used them on: Petrol stoves, Gas stoves and open fire and they shrug them all off.

TI is an expensive commodity and is difficult to machine so I dont think that TI pots will come down in price.

Cheers

John

SquirrelBoy

Nomad
Feb 1, 2004
UK
Could I ask someone who has one of these - to tell me the height from the top of the three pot rests to the top of the wind shield.

The resaon I ask is the billy im thinking of using is 14cm round but has hanger brackets on the side and its not a very high sided pot - anything higher than 5cm and they might get in the way.

Thank you.

Martyn

Aug 7, 2003
staffordshire
www.britishblades.com
SquirrelBoy said:
Could I ask someone who has one of these - to tell me the height from the top of the three pot rests to the top of the wind shield.

No problem. It's 29mm according to my verniers, which agrees with my eyeball which gets it at an inch and a bit. ;) :D

SquirrelBoy

Nomad
Feb 1, 2004
UK
Martyn said:
No problem. It's 29mm according to my verniers, which agrees with my eyeball which gets it at an inch and a bit. ;) :D
Damn - It fits !! You know im gonna have to buy one now Martyn... :rolmao:

Cheers mate :biggthump

Hoodoo

Nov 17, 2003
Michigan, USA
I'm always interested in trying out new gear but I haven't quite figured out how this is an improvement over the trangia stand that came with my stove? I made several windscreens from aluminum flashing at a cost of probably 50 cents a whack and have always had amazing results from this setup. I can make a windscreen that will be as high as I want and weighs nearly nothing. I cut slots in the windscreens for handles, which allows me to make very tall windscreens for any pot I want. The stand is small and stores flat and is very stable.

So convince me that I should get this new setup. It looks really super and I would love to have one but I have to rationalize it. :rolmao:

This is the setup I've used for years now with great success.

trangia1b.jpg

trangia2b.jpg

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE