Trangia clikstand - review

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Gary

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 17, 2003
from Essex
scotland2204017.jpg

I have just returned from wet and windy Scotland were I had a well deserved rest and where I had the chance to test out a few new bits of kit, fore most of which was the clikstand.

This is without a doubt one of the best peices of kit I have had the chance to play with in a long time, retailing at around £40 (I think) it isnt cheap but if you like the simplicety of the trangia you will ove these.

Made of a lightweight pressed steel the clikstand consists of a base, three sides and a flexiable windshield which will collapse into nothingness and easily fits inside the 12cm Zebra billy (it will tke a pot upto approx 14cm in diameter).

Before leaving home I check the base on both the military and civilian trangia and found it to fit both (although it is more suited to the civilian version) and in use I found it to bring a pint of water to the boil very rapidly and more importantly with maximum fuel efficiency.

I think this is a fantastic peice of kit and it is something I will definate use from now on and recommend.

Good points, lightweight, easily assembled and packed. No fussy breakable bits - I well designed, simple but effective peice of kit.

Bad points - stove is sold seperately, cost (while worth every penny) does seem a little high initially.

Overall I give this a big :biggthump

mal

Forager
Sep 20, 2004
Blackpool
Hi Gary this looks just what i have been looking for have you got the codes handy???? i have been looking at the one with just the whight stand or the mini kit but this looks much better with the shield thanks in advance.:wave: Mal

Martyn

Bushcrafter through and through
Aug 7, 2003
staffordshire
www.britishblades.com
Great stuff gary, fab bit of kit innit - definitely a kepper in my kit bag.

But I have a question about how you have it set up. In your pic...

scotland2204017.jpg

...it looks like you have the stand sitting on top of the military? You can see the brass of the stove underneath the stand and the stand actually looks as if it's suspended off the ground.

Compare to my pics...

stove009.jpg

and

stove010.jpg

stove013.jpg

The brass of the commercial stove is not visible as it's suspended inside on the inner plate. I wonder if this contributed to your stability issue, as i found it quite stable? In fact I would say that was one of it's strongest features. The three corners of the stand should be in contact with the ground, giving a sort of tripod effect to the base, while the burner should be suspended off the ground by about 1cm or thereabouts.

RovingArcher

Need to contact Admin...
Jun 27, 2004
Monterey Peninsula, Ca., USA
I agree Gary, definitely a worthy purchase and one that I hope to make sometime in the future. The daughter was driving the truck as most young drivers do and neglected to see the temperature guage banging on the high side because of a stuck thermastat and overheated my truck :nono: , which cracked the head :shock:, so gotta save up to get that fixed. :cry:

Gary

Apr 17, 2003
from Essex
Kids ehhh - never mind RA i am sure these will be around for a long time to come.

Martyn your right - doh! I just checked out the clikstand sight too! :oops: ok now I'm embrassed! Still shows what a good and tough stand it is as it worked even for an idiot like me!!

Martyn, Did you stand come with instructions? This may be something that is lacking.

Having said that this is a good thing as now the stability issue is resolved it means that I can say the stand is spot on - and give it 10 out of 10. :super:

Martyn

Aug 7, 2003
staffordshire
www.britishblades.com
Gary said:
Martyn, Did you stand come with instructions? This may be something that is lacking.

Yeah, it came with 2 sheets of pictorial instructions - actually they are just the web page instructions, printed off and included with the package.

Glad you got it sorted. :biggthump

Gary

Apr 17, 2003
from Essex
Phew, I thought I was losing brain cells. Mine was a trade sample and less instructions hence my error - but having said that and looking at it now I can see how daft I was.

Either way its still the dogs private parts!! :biggthump

Gary

Apr 17, 2003
from Essex
The stand wieghs next to nothing Viking and the stove weighs whatever a trangia weighs.

As for the answer to the rest of your question ...... :wink:

faca

Forager
Dec 10, 2003
SPAIN
Hi, Gary it looks great, but $55 is to much for me, why you don´t try to DIY.
I show you my last DIY cooking set :chill: .
Cost:
-MSR titanium 750ml (Pot+ lib)= I have forgotten the price :lol: high.
-Wind screen made of aluminium hammered cupper finish sheet=4 eu (I decided to use this becouse hammered surface gives antique looking and locks sheet when closed, even you can use the wind screen as a pot stand with out the titanium stack if your pot is big enought.
-Titanium stack=0, came with my Tarptent :lol:
-Insolated plataform=0.5 eu (it´s made with insolated heater sheet)
-Trangia burner=10 eu (I made my DIY pepsi can burner, but I decided to buy Trangia heavier but stonger, in case you put your feet on :naughty: )
Total cost= 4.5 eu (wind screen+insolated plate)
Weights:
-Pot+lib=110 grs
-Wind screen=35grs
-Insolated plate=10grs
-Trangia burner=66grs (without simmer ring and lib)
-Titanium stack=0 grs (take from my tarptent when cooking)
Total cooking set weight=221 grs+*
Methanol=1ml=0.86 grs
My burner top is 2.5 mm from the botton pot, with this set up:
-It boil 750ml in 10 minutes with 35 ml of alcohol and go 5 more minutes till off.
I have tried differents heigths and the higher the faster boil time and the faster off.
I decided that for me is more important to put the wind screen into the pot so 25mm distant between burn and pot is ok and fuel efficient.
You have space to put into the pot everything and add a foldable plastic cup.
I´m looking for some plastic container to fill with alcohol and put into, no easy becouse the pot height is not as high as Swess cooking kit.
enjoy.
cooking002.jpg

cooking001.jpg

cooking003.jpg

cooking004.jpg

Gary

Apr 17, 2003
from Essex
Nice one Orlando - my old lightweight kit was three metal tent pegs (as the pot stand) and a folding windshield this worked well although wasnt quiet as good as the mess kit. :You_Rock_

Adi007

Sep 3, 2003
Nice setup faca!

I'm beginning to think that this might be a job for a sheet of titanium because it has low thermal conductivity and will (theoretically) keep the heat in.

Martyn

Aug 7, 2003
staffordshire
www.britishblades.com
Paganwolf said:
I just bought one from the bearclaw site,it does look a good bit of kit cant wait to test it out :biggthump

I'm pretty darned sure you'll love it PW. I really do think this is one of the best bits of kit I've bought in a long time. If I lost it, or damaged it (doubtful) I'd replace it with an identical one immediately. If you're already a fan of the trangia stove, this kit opens up a whole new world. Apart from being ultra-light and exceptionally strong, you can use it with almost any pot, or mix 'n match to suit your needs. Brill. :biggthump

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE