Trangia 25 series pans as dutch oven ?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Nelis

Forager
Mar 9, 2007
Oudenbosch
Hi All,

Has anybody ever tried to use a standard aluminum trangia pan form a 25 series, with an original trangia tundra lid as an dutch oven for baking bannock.

I would like to know if the aluminum pan will hold together. I see no real reason why it shouldn't as trangia says on it's website that the pans can be used on an open fire.

If nobody knows I will try this weekend and lat you all know the result, but if anybody has tried it or has some theoretical knowledge about it, I would love to know in advance.

Sniper

Native
Aug 3, 2008
Saltcoats, Ayrshire
I would look for something which will hold the mix away from the body of the pan, some sort of grill inside perhaps, cos I suspect the bannock touching the pot body would burn but hope the pans themselves would cope with the intense heat.

Tadpole

Nov 12, 2005
Bristol
Hi All,

Has anybody ever tried to use a standard aluminum trangia pan form a 25 series, with an original trangia tundra lid as an dutch oven for baking bannock.

I would like to know if the aluminum pan will hold together. I see no real reason why it shouldn't as trangia says on it's website that the pans can be used on an open fire.

If nobody knows I will try this weekend and lat you all know the result, but if anybody has tried it or has some theoretical knowledge about it, I would love to know in advance.
I have cooked bannock using my trangia clone, I used bacon fat in the frying pan (lid) and put the largest pan over the top.
I did have to turn the bannock over after 10 - 15 minutes as it was cooking through but not browning the top. I used the meths burner and rested the lid on the top (as you would do when frying) Kept out of the wind and with a full burner of fuel, it works quite well, I think the trick is not to make it to thick and keep a good eye on it. Ok so that was Not quite what you asked;)
I'm sure that keeping the bannock from the direct heat of the fire, with enough of a gap so as not to burn either the pan or the bannock, you'll be alright.

Quark

Apr 25, 2007
norway
I've heard about, but not tried, to use two pots, one inside the other, and separrated vith a couple of pebles in the bottom of the outer pot. This way the pot with the baking doesn't actually touch the fire, but is heated by hot air. Hopes this helps?

/Martin

Tadpole

Nov 12, 2005
Bristol
I've heard about, but not tried, to use two pots, one inside the other, and separrated vith a couple of pebles in the bottom of the outer pot. This way the pot with the baking doesn't actually touch the fire, but is heated by hot air. Hopes this helps?

/Martin
Now you mention it, I'm sure I've seen it on a RM video, the three stones in the bottom of a pan trick

verloc

Settler
Jun 2, 2008
East Lothian, Scotland
along the same line me and stooboy used 2 cheap alu mess tins stacked the wrong way to make a wee "dutch oven" like thing. Was perfect with a couple of those parbaked rolls in and chucked in embers. Was lovely with some nice soup.

So I see no reason why the trangia kit wouldn't work.

bikething

May 31, 2005
West Devon, Edge of Dartymoor!
along the same line me and stooboy used 2 cheap alu mess tins stacked the wrong way to make a wee "dutch oven" like thing. Was perfect with a couple of those parbaked rolls in and chucked in embers. Was lovely with some nice soup.

So I see no reason why the trangia kit wouldn't work.
I've done that with mess tins too, but I shovel some embers on top of the top pan to help with even cooking :)

spamel

Banned
Feb 15, 2005
Silkstone, Blighty!
I've had some of the best bannock ever made on a trangia in the frying pan. Follow Hoodoos' recipe on the fron tpage of the site and you'll get a decent bannock. Substitute the water with stout and add some beef jerky and some spices and you get a real taste sensation.

Also, there is a large Trangia Billy Can available that the whole trangia set sits inside.

Tor helge

Settler
May 23, 2005
Northern Norway
www.torbygjordet.com

/Martin

Like this.

14032229.jpg

An Eagle sharp frying pan resting on 3 small pebbles inside a 3,9 liter steel pot.
This is a ordinary bread, not a bannock though.

Tor

tenderfoot

Nomad
May 17, 2008
north west uk
just a thought... you are aware perhaps that when very hot aluminium will burn?
(I know this because land rovers have aluminium bodywork)
So caution if you are immersing your trangia in hot coals for any length of time. might be better to get something in steel /cast iron which will also distribute the heat better i would think

mjk123

Need to contact Admin...
Jul 24, 2006
Switzerland
>>you are aware perhaps that when very hot aluminium will burn?

This is the nub of the thread. Trangia pans are most commonly made of alu, but you can get stainless steel ones. A bit heavy, but very sturdy and perfect for outdoor baking. Personally I never use alu without a liquid in it.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE