Trainee...

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

TheViking

Native
Jun 3, 2004
Hi...

In late september i'm going in to the military as a trainee. It will be for 5 days.
Haven't decided if it must be the Navy or Army yet. :wink:

Is there anyone here, who has some experience with this?? Been trainee or similar?
All help appreciated. :biggthump

RAPPLEBY2000

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Dec 2, 2003
England
get fit! no i mean really fit!
your personal best won't be good enough!

lots of push ups and pull ups! again push yourself! big style!

they will push you all the time.

get a good alarm clock! for that 5AM start!

don't ask loads of questions, blend in!

remember when you are sick of all the shouting, (they will) it's something they have all been through!

always have a sense of humour!

always salute an officer don't call NCO's Sir, they hate it!

try to pace yourself, don't have a huge booze up at the weekend, have some drinks but keep fresh!

they will shout, people will drop out, they will push you, remember, they want to know you can cope. prove it!

don't worry, millions have been there before you and survived!

bushwacker bob

Sep 22, 2003
STRANGEUS PLACEUS
I'd go for the army as opposed to the navy. Where can you practice bushcraft at sea? In the army you MAY get wet and miserable,in the navy you WILL get wet and miserable.

RAPPLEBY2000

Dec 2, 2003
England
no...i meant really fit!

honest, you think you're fit but they won't!

"drop and give me 20 push ups".........that will seem so familiar soon! :wink:

and remember......this is the easy stuff! they will probably be more interested in your attitude and aptitude as a team player on your 5 days, you will probably get written test initiative tests, prehaps some fake problems to deal with under pressure.
as i say fit in, they want good leaders and workers! not wannabes, don't try to fake it they will know!

i would opt for the army, less chance for sea sickness! :biggthump

leon-1

RAPPLEBY2000, is quite correct about attitude, if you can help someone help them, but generally take everything as it comes, keep the sense of humour.

They are not there to break you, just to stretch your limits, team players are always well received and as such as mentioned before try to fit in with the group.

They know when you are giving 100% effort and they will want to see it pretty much at all times, don't let yourself down by slacking off without good reason.

If you are helpfull, willing/enthusiastic, have a sense of humour and work as a team player you will have no problems. These are good qualities for a member of any of the armed forces to have :biggthump

tenbears10

Native
Oct 31, 2003
xxxx
Also remember to enjoy it! It should be fun, you will meet some great mates and have the best laughs when you thought it couldn't get any worse. You can even get pleasure from ironing, I promise.

The Army has more opportunity for bushcraft I think but if you like boats then go for the navy.

Bill

RAPPLEBY2000

Dec 2, 2003
England
i remember my first Combat fitness test, 3 miles in 30 minutes.
pretty easy really, but it still pushed us.
about a minute after the test still out of breath we were told to get into line and stand to attention,

you could spot all the smokers, they turned white and fainted!
:yikes: :rolmao:

TheViking

Native
Jun 3, 2004
Hi...

No maybe there is a little misunderstanding here... :wink:
I'm not joining the army. I'm going in as a trainee in 'practice' to see what the navy/army are doing. It's only five days and everyone says that the sergents are polite... :wink:

I saw the documentary about the Royal Marines in UK (think the show was called 'Real Life: Royal marines' or something like it) and that was tough. The sergent with the eagle eyes, black hair and black moustache was very tough.... That's not how it works over here WHEN YOU'RE 15.... We have compulsory service and usually join at 19... We cannot join ANY corps or the like, before 18 at least! :wink:

Just going in to see what they're doing for 5 days... :) Nothing more

Cheers :uu:

Ed

Admin
Admin
Aug 27, 2003
South Wales Valleys
Just going in to see what they're doing for 5 days... Nothing more
You'll have a great time.... did something similar over here in the UK when I was in the scouts.... spent a week with the army and did loads of asssault courses, bit of target shooting.... and yes, the officers were very polite and were great at dealing with people my age (about 14 at the time)... I am / was scared of heights (indoors!?!?!?) but they were great at getting me over the cargo net :)
You'll love it.

Ed

RAPPLEBY2000

Dec 2, 2003
England
:shock: :eek:):

yeah... but...if you join up...

"they will shout at you! and you WILL like it...SIR!"

:rolmao:

they are only friendly so you actually take an interest! :roll: once they have you you will be treated like :yikes: well remember the royal marines film you watched with the nasty sargent...you will meet him! or one of his type!

you will hate him and call him names!

it's true! :wave:

Gary

Apr 17, 2003
from Essex
the viking, one thin I always will regret is never enjoying the moment - so much experience, so many unique moments lost forever - enjoy the time you have - you cant get it back

TheViking

Native
Jun 3, 2004
RAPPLEBY2000 said:
:shock: :eek:):

yeah... but...if you join up...

"they will shout at you! and you WILL like it...SIR!"

:rolmao:

they are only friendly so you actually take an interest! :roll: once they have you you will be treated like :yikes: well remember the royal marines film you watched with the nasty sargent...you will meet him! or one of his type!

you will hate him and call him names!

it's true! :wave:

Oh yes, that's true, but by the way I don't see the actual reason to shout. There's no way in breaking down the men, to be able to build them up later. It's better to use the single mans personality. Like SAS and others do. :wink:
As far as i'm concerned there's not much shouting, cause it doesn't help. American units do so, and I can only sit down with my chocolate drink and :rolmao: :rolmao: :rolmao: SILLY, to use one word. :biggthump

Kate688

Apr 4, 2004
Brawdy, South Wales
Yeah, you get shouted at in basic training, but not as much has been made out! You're only yelled at when you do something wrong, really. However doing something wrong in basic is pretty easy!!! But that's only for the period that you do your initial training - after that, it's a lot more 'friendly'. It isn't all drill and inspections - although they make up a huge part of your time in the initial stage of your career. Life in the forces is good, because you get amazing experiences unavailable to civilians and you are constantly meeting new friends, who are in the same situation as you! Basic training does stretch your limits, but if you have the right attitude, they will notice and there may be benefits from this.

Your 5 days should be a good insight into some of the stuff you'll get to do in the forces, but as the others said, you probably wont see much of the bad stuff - because they will want to try and make it so you to want to join! :wink:

TheViking

Native
Jun 3, 2004
Well, maybe it has something to do with respect for the officers and sergeants! :wink: So in basic training they shout and when you get higher and become a real soldier, you have respect for them...?! :wink: :)

RAPPLEBY2000

Dec 2, 2003
England
it's all part of the system,

apon joining up theoretically you could be the ideal soldier work hard and learn much, in that case SAS style teaching would work, but most recruits are from a wide variety of fitness and backgrounds, so the army has to get everyone to a standard condition. of course poeple drop out, but that's part of it you will grow stronger and note their failings.

i am an outdoor activity instructor, so i work with people alot, getting a huge group of people to do one thing for instance getting a group to divide into 3 is hard, friends want to stick together and people want to be away from others, if you gently say, "please divide" some will, some won't hear and some will rebel.

if you get straight to the point, and clearly state loudly an orderin an authoritative voice, it will get done alot quicker.
once you have a small group then you can talk gently, as you can meet properly.

this is all the army does, just getting you trained and sorted in the quickest time, shouting is far quicker than a gentle discussion!

immagine the "trooping of the colour" without shouting orders? naah it ain't gonna happen! you can't quietly discuss stuff with sevral hundred troops. :rolmao:

Adi007

Sep 3, 2003
Also, there is a chance that the instructions being shouted at you one day could be ones to save your life ... hesitate or be unsure what to do and you're dead.

Brynglas

bushwacker bob said:
I'd go for the army as opposed to the navy. Where can you practice bushcraft at sea? In the army you MAY get wet and miserable,in the navy you WILL get wet and miserable.

Bob, I have to tell you that there are several branches of Naval service that would offer the opportunity to practice fieldcraft/bushcraft and other skills. A significant amount of work is done in inshore waters and relating to gunfire support and logistics, certainly within the Royal Navy and Royal Marines, I can't comment on Denmark though Viking.

I know that the best bit of advice I was given upon joining up was 'DO AS YOU'RE TOLD' this stood me in good stead for a number of years!

TheViking

Native
Jun 3, 2004
Hi...

Now it's dated. Week 44 and only maybe! :cry: :wink: There's 6 boys (including me) who want to go and our counsellor has to call the sergent and ask for space. Maybe it's only possible for him to get 1 place or 3... :roll:
But i'll surely hope for the best! :D

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE