Trail snacks

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Nightfall

Forager
Sep 2, 2004
Nothren Califorina
Hi all. I was just wondering what everyone eats while on trail. Not as a meal where one has to set up a stove or start a fire, just a quick snack at a stop. I like dried cranberrys and raisons, dried blueberrys and pine nuts. When in season blackberrys and huckleberrys are always good.

hootchi

Settler
I do like a bit of neat jelly. Cereal bars, fruit or chocolate.

I find eating nuts and raisins a bit of a chore coz you cant get a proper handfull with gloves on and end up eating some of the fleece from your glove :roll: , then bag splits and :cry:

NickBristol

Forager
Feb 17, 2004
Bristol, UK
Always nice to have chocolate in your pockets - until it melts :roll:

I like to carry a few small packs of macadamia nuts from Tesco in my pockets - loads of energy in even a small pack, plenty of salt to replace what's lost in sweat and the best tasting nut ever. If only they grew on trees... i mean on tree's round here :roll:

Hellz

Nomad
Sep 26, 2003
Kent, England
www.hellzteeth.com
Honey dipped dried banana is a favourite of mine. Chocolate is popular too :mrgreen:

Next time I'm out I'm taking a ziplock bag of a cereal I found in Sainsburys (own brand). It's a sort of honey nut corn flake, almonds, dried cranberries and some yoghurt coated flakes... makes a nice nibble and is small and fiddly enough to stop me eating it all in one go :wink:

Hellz

arctic hobo

Native
Oct 7, 2004
Devon *sigh*
www.dyrhaug.co.uk
Honey and dark chocolate - Honey because it's useful for cuts as well as having health benefits, and dark chocolate (70% or over) cleans your teeth (it's true!) and increases iron takeup. Iron stops you getting tired and most importantly helps your muscles recover for the next day. Plus they taste gorgeous :eek:):
If I'm in Devon I never miss picking blackberries too.

Justin Time

Native
Aug 19, 2003
South Wales
hmmm, Green & Blacks (insert droolling Homer icon here)

Tesco also used to do a bag of peanuts, raisins and choc drops which hit the spot nicely... on a slightly different tangent I've discovered a passion for Oatcakes with Sardine & tomato paste ( dog likes them too!)

RovingArcher

Need to contact Admin...
Jun 27, 2004
Monterey Peninsula, Ca., USA
I like the trail mix that my wife brings home once in a while. Usually has a bit of granola, pieces of date, sunflower seeds, almonds, dried banana, chocolate covered raisins and lots of other things.

I like Fig bars and they'll come with me once in awhile.

When I have it, I'll go to the trail food my ancestors carried and grind up some buffalo jerky and add it to parched corn that's ground into a coarse flour. It's an excellent trail food if eaten sparingly. A couple of tablespoons full and chased with drink, swells in the belly and fills me up. Any more than that and I experience discomfort like I ate a whole hog by myself. Energy, nutrients and burns clean with no ill effects if I have to live off of it for a month or more.

I also like taking honey with me. The list of medicinal benefits are extensive, plus it's pure energy and burns efficiently without ill effects for most people. However, raw honey does contain botulism spores and shouldn't be eaten by very young children (infants/toddlers) or those with a weakened immune system. If for no other reason, I think the fact that bacteria can't exist in honey at all, makes it worth packing along.

I used to carry the so called power bars, but when compared to the more natural methods of obtaining energy they aren't worth the expense or ill health effects they offer.

alick

Settler
Aug 29, 2003
Northwich, Cheshire
Yep to honey - I take it as a better replacement for sugar.

Chocolate / mars / topic / marathon / double decker bars too i'm afraid.

Dried fruit. Nuts - esp cashews and pistachios.

Bombay mix. Anything along these lines depending what I have in the house.

I sweat copiously when exercising hard so I like salty snacks.

I also take good concentrated cordials to liven up a drink of water. Brands like Belvoir and Bottle Green do decent flavours like elderflower to drink cold and ginger or a mulled wine type cordial (without the wine) to drink hot. The key to these is no artificial sweeteners (yuk).

hobbitboy

Forager
Jun 30, 2004
Erm... it's variable
Oatcakes with Sardine & tomato paste

I do hope you mean Staffordshire oatcakes (savoury pancakes absolutely fantastic as breakfast before you leave for the hills/woods) and not the poor Scotish version of an oatcake, which is blatantly a biscuit.....

Always chocolate in my pack! Always! Would die without!

Ed

Admin
Admin
Aug 27, 2003
South Wales Valleys
Dried fuit and nut mix (useful ingredient for cooking with aswell) along with chocolate that seems to somehow end up in my pack ;-)

Ed

Justin Time

Native
Aug 19, 2003
South Wales
hobbitboy said:
I do hope you mean Staffordshire oatcakes (savoury pancakes absolutely fantastic as breakfast before you leave for the hills/woods) and not the poor Scotish version of an oatcake, which is blatantly a biscuit.....

Sorry Hobbitboy, I am Scottish, so......

match

Settler
Sep 29, 2004
Edinburgh
For me, its almost always fruitbread - either something like malt loaf, or something closer to Christmas cake. Chocolate is often in there - particularly the Scottish favourite the Tunock's wafer :)

I also like taking mixed fruit and nuts, but for a bit of energy I sometimes make sugar-roasted peanuts as follows:

2 Cups Peanuts
1 Cup Brown Sugar
1/2 cup Water
1/2 tsp Cinnamon (optional)

Put the sugar and water in a pan and heat until the sugar is completely dissolved. Add the peanuts and cinnamon (if using), and keep cooking until the peanuts are well coated in the syrup and there is very little syrup left in the pan (i.e its all stuck to the nuts!). Pour the syrupy nuts onto a baking tray (ungreased) and bake at 150 degC for about half an hour, mixing occasionally to ensure even drying.

These will keep for a long time if stored in a jar, and are a tasty high-energy snack - provided you have a toothbrush in your camping equipment ;)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE