Trail snacks

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Carcajou Garou

On a new journey
Jun 7, 2004
Canada
Trail food: salted peanuts, dried raisins, apricots, cranberries, sunflower seeds, and jerky. Small chocolate bars (snickers)
just a thought

Keith_Beef

Native
Sep 9, 2003
Yvelines, north-west of Paris, France.
I like to forage what I can get in the late summer, early autumn; apples, blackberries, walnuts, chestnuts.

In the spring; hawthorn and beech leaves, small amounts of willow and holly bark.

I carry apples, dried beef, dry or smoked sausage, black pudding.

No matter how many times I look at the thread title, I still see it as "snail tracks".

Keith.

bambodoggy

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 10, 2004
Surrey
www.stumpandgrind.co.uk
lol...I read it as Snail Tracks too and thought it sounded interesting, still seeing as I'm here now....

I tend not to eat as I go along a trail....but I always have snickers bars with me....I like the chocolet but an old scout leader told me nuts were better for me, I figured I'd split the difference and with a snikers I get both.... a party fun sized one at the top of a hill or when just back at camp is yummy! I also love beef jerky but don't confine myself to only eating it while out and about...I'm quite happy to sit by the fire at home watching tv and munching my way through a bag. I got some from "Outdoor world" while in florida earlier this year in a little tin, when I opened it it was all shreaded and looked like dried tropical fish food...still tasted yummy and I munched it all the way from Orlando to Miami by car....mmmmmmm, jerky.... :lol: Actually for all I know it may well even have been fish food.....come to think of it I did pick it up from very near the fishing section.....can any of our american members shed any light on this?

bambodoggy

Nov 10, 2004
Surrey
www.stumpandgrind.co.uk
Yer, although I call them snikers now for ease of communication, they will always be marathons to me too :eek:):
Don't know if they were bigger....maybe we were just smaller! :super:

Nightfall

Forager
Sep 2, 2004
Nothren Califorina
Bambodoggy, I think I know what you are talking about. If I remember right they used to make a finely shreaded jerky. They called beef jerky snuff or something like that. It used to come in a chewing tabacco like tin. I havent seen it for a long time.

bambodoggy

Nov 10, 2004
Surrey
www.stumpandgrind.co.uk
:eek:): Thank goodness for that....was starting to worry for a minute that I might have been eating fish food!!!!
Thanks Nightfall....that sounds like the stuff I got... Got it in "outdoor world" which has the website of www.basspro.com
cheers Mate,

Phil.

jstyles

Sep 24, 2004
Wirral, UK
www.freewebs.com
NickBristol said:
macadamia nuts from Tesco in my pockets - loads of energy in even a small pack, plenty of salt to replace what's lost in sweat and the best tasting nut ever. If only they grew on trees... i mean on tree's round here :roll:

Definitely the best-tasting nuts available! (imho, that is!!)

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
hobbitboy said:
I do hope you mean Staffordshire oatcakes (savoury pancakes absolutely fantastic as breakfast before you leave for the hills/woods) and not the poor Scotish version of an oatcake, which is blatantly a biscuit.....

Always chocolate in my pack! Always! Would die without!

Are those the cheugh tasteless pitta bread shaped things? That's not an oatcake lad, that's for shoeing soles! Me I love oatcakes with butter and good cheese or jam or honey....and I can cook them from scratch over a campfire :) smells wonderful too.

In my pack, (okay, so it's girlie thing, but in my handbag too :eek: ) Maya Gold chocolate or Galaxy Fruit and Nut, and I always have home made muesli bars and dried apples & apricots & usually some almonds.

Cheers,
Toddy

ronsos

Forager
Dec 10, 2004
on the hill for me its dried fruit -mangoe and papaya in particular, so tasty they cant possibly be good for you .after ive left the car park however, its choclate etc as snacks. SCOTS oatcakes with just about anything on them ,for lunch stops.i keep a power bar in the fetid depths of my rucksack for emergencies-and trust me it would have to be a real emergency(eg power bar v a lepers leg) before I ate it.

Squidders

Aug 3, 2004
Harrow, Middlesex
I actually read that as "snail tracks" and I thought tracking snails... strange.

Trail foods... eat a mars bar, then a banana and then an apple.

The mars bar gives instant fuel, the banana gives a slow release fuel and the apple is nice and refreshing after ;o)

Works for me anyway ;)

B

Bob Hurley

One of the best I've used is dried melon made in my cheap store-bought dehydrator. Just slice a cantelope or honeydew melon fairly thick (thin enough to clear the next tray) and dry for a day or so. Believe it or not, even as wet as it is fresh it dries well - it shrinks a lot, and is incredibly sweet and full-flavoured when done. I have some that's been stored in a cloth bag at room temperature for six months now, and except for getting a bit darker it's as good as the day it was made. I stop drying when it gets tough like leather, I don't dry it until it breaks easily.

moduser

Life Member
May 9, 2005
Farnborough, Hampshire
For me the one thing that is always in my pack in Jordans Special Muesli bars, simply the best of it's type.

Also I always have a tube of honey for sweetning tea (or a spoonful because it's lovely), Cadbury's chocolate (if the weather's not too hot - I hate soggy chocolate), nuts and sultanas (better than raisins) and a pcket of Waitrose Tomata and Basil cup a soup.

Fresh fruit is always good for a stop over as well.

FeralSheryl

Nomad
Apr 29, 2005
Gloucestershire
moduser said:
For me the one thing that is always in my pack in Jordans Special Muesli bars, simply the best of it's type.
Hmmm, nice. Ever tried Hobnob Flapjacks? tasty-gorgeous if you can find them.
Err.. they only grow in supermarkets though ;)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE