Traditional Scottish Clothing

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Sisyphus

Tenderfoot
Feb 17, 2009
north east scotland
On of my mates at work is getting hitched in May, and I've foolishly said I'd have a go at making his sgian dubh :eek:, afraid it aint gonna be a proper one tho, damascus steel blade with water buffalo scales and sheath, held together with pewter bolsters. If it works out you may see some photos, if not, you wont :cool: :D.

I'm in the same boat!!! The big day isn't for another year though thankfully! Would be great to see how yours turns out. I really fancy yew scales for some reason...

Personally I rate the kilt along with the shellsuit in the top 5 uniforms of the intoxicated antisocial twit, I'm wearing a suit to the aforementioned wedding :p

myotis

Apr 28, 2008
Somerset, UK.
A couple of quick pictures of mine :D Warthog1981 handled the sgian for me and made the sheath :D
cheers,
Toddy

That is indeed a lovely Sgian Dubh. It has a nice functional look to it and the little bit of silver work sets it off nicely. Thanks for sharing that, its as close as to my image of what I want from a Sgian dubh as I've seen.

Graham

Sisyphus

Tenderfoot
Feb 17, 2009
north east scotland
The thing I find odd about most of these sgian dubhs is that the notches on the spine and the "baby" fuller are completely redundant and non-functional decoration, which seems to be at odds with the notion of a utility knife that most people would have carried at the time.

I'm of the mind that the "real" sgian dubh would have had much more in common with scandinavian patterns of the same era, rather than the post-17th century cliche of the pointy daggery thing with the copper lined sheath and gaudy silver and jewel pommel...

A couple of quick pictures of mine :D Warthog1981 handled the sgian for me and made the sheath :D
Sorry, I ought to have taken one showing the side profile, the handle is slim and shaped.

IMG_8995.JPG

myotis

Apr 28, 2008
Somerset, UK.
The thing I find odd about most of these sgian dubhs is that the notches on the spine and the "baby" fuller are completely redundant and non-functional decoration, which seems to be at odds with the notion of a utility knife that most people would have carried at the time.

I'm of the mind that the "real" sgian dubh would have had much more in common with scandinavian patterns of the same era, rather than the post-17th century cliche of the pointy daggery thing with the copper lined sheath and gaudy silver and jewel pommel...

I thought the Sgian dubh was a concealed weapon, and that while the ornate modern sgian dubh is unlikely to represent the original, the dagger shape, the spine notches meant to improve control and maybe a proper fuller may well have been part of the original sgian dubh.

I have always assumed that the utility knife that people would have openly carried evolved into a hidden dagger carried as a weapon which then gained the label of Sgian Dubh.

Graham

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Well, mine's fully functional :D , and those serrations are just like filework when seen from above. The pattern is pretty much that of the small eating knife of the time, remember folks cut meat but broke bread. I don't think I've ever seen a copper lined sheath, and while I am not a fan of them, those big jewelled hilts were authentic on many knives of the period.

I do think them best kept simple, with a little individuality in the decoration. Kind of like everyone who knows me and that knife, knows it's mine :D

Some of the modern interpretations are beautiful pieces of craftsmanship :approve: Graham_S and Warthog1981's come to mind :D

cheers,
Toddy

Sisyphus

Tenderfoot
Feb 17, 2009
north east scotland
I thought the Sgian dubh was a concealed weapon, and that while the ornate modern sgian dubh is unlikely to represent the original, the dagger shape, the spine notches meant to improve control and maybe a proper fuller may well have been part of the original sgian dubh.

I have always assumed that the utility knife that people would have openly carried evolved into a hidden dagger carried as a weapon which then gained the label of Sgian Dubh.

Graham

Yeah filework on the spine where the thumb would rest would obviously serve to improve grip, but, if you're talking about a dagger, it's a stabbing/piercing weapon thus the shape, so having filework to give grip when holding it as you would a typical scandi knife etc seems contrary to the purpose of the thing.

I can't imagine any logical reason for fullering the blade of such a small knife either.

myotis

Apr 28, 2008
Somerset, UK.
Yeah filework on the spine where the thumb would rest would obviously serve to improve grip, but, if you're talking about a dagger, it's a stabbing/piercing weapon thus the shape, so having filework to give grip when holding it as you would a typical scandi knife etc seems contrary to the purpose of the thing.

I can't imagine any logical reason for fullering the blade of such a small knife either.

We could probably bounce this around for a while, maybe the filework made it that much more multi-purpose. so when you weren't killing people you could use it it cut up your dinner.

Or maybe they didn't have file work originally, but when the need to carry concealed weapons had passed, the knives were made into utility knives by adding the file work. I can't see them just being thrown away.

Could the fuller just be aimed at reducing weight, as you would want it as light as possible if hidden in clothing.

You will gather I have no idea really, and just bouncing ideas around.

Graham

Graham

Graham_S

Squirrely!
Feb 27, 2005
Saudi Arabia
the jimping on the spine gives grip when you're choked up on the blade.
It gives you control when doing fine work.
I don't see the 'doo as a weapon (except as one of last resort) it's too small.
It is the right size to be a utility blade for all those little household tasks that you do around camp

myotis

Apr 28, 2008
Somerset, UK.
the jimping on the spine gives grip when you're choked up on the blade.
It gives you control when doing fine work.
I don't see the 'doo as a weapon (except as one of last resort) it's too small.
It is the right size to be a utility blade for all those little household tasks that you do around camp

"Jimping", that was the word I couldn't remember. While certainly "I" am looking at it in terms of a utility knife, I thought that the whole point of the Sgian Dubh was its ability to be a weapon hidden in clothing albeit possibly being derived from a skinning knife.

Graham

gregorach

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 15, 2005
Edinburgh
According to The Real Sgian Dubh Company (no affiliation):

The evolution of the sgian dubh is unclear. There is a fairly convincing theory that the it evolved from an earlier and possibly slightly longer armpit dagger (the sgian achlais) which was worn next to the upper arm and hidden from view by the wearer’s clothing. There are references to the sgian achlais being used in the 17th & 18th centuries but no known example exists today.

The earliest references to sgian dubhs are comparatively recent, dating from around the start of the 19th century. This corresponds with the flourish of interest in all things Highland during the Romantic period and the re-discovery and re-design of Highland dress during the reign of Queen Victoria. Certainly, by the1850s it was very commonly worn with Highland dress.

Plus, there's a big difference between a handy throat-slitting knife and what you'd normal consider a "fighting" knife...

gregorach

Sep 15, 2005
Edinburgh
Yeah, it's all debatable. The main point I was going for there was that the sgian dubh as we currently know it was never really a weapon, but may have evolved from a weapon.

myotis

Apr 28, 2008
Somerset, UK.
Yeah, it's all debatable. The main point I was going for there was that the sgian dubh as we currently know it was never really a weapon, but may have evolved from a weapon.

I agree if you mean the Sgian Dubh that people wear with the kilt, but we have been discussing the origins of the Sgian Dubh design, and how accurate the modern Sgian Dubh is likely to be, as it seems to have contradictaory design features.

My guess is that any small knife that could be hidden in your clothing would warrant the name Sgian dubh and that individuals will have modified their own knife to make it more to their liking (ie making the handle thinner or regrinding the point). Or indeed made one, or had one made, that made it easier to hide.

Then again, how many knives could a person own in those times, so maybe any knife had to be multipurpose hence the jimping (a tool) and a stabbing point (a weapon).

Its all interesting stuff though.

Graham

Dunk

Forager
Feb 4, 2007
Wakefield, West Yorkshire
WOW

thanks for all the info!!!

did anyone come to a conclusion about what they would be wearing?
Viking type clothing etc maybe?

I'm finding it difficult to find any books on this kind of thing.

THANKS

Dunk

gregorach

Sep 15, 2005
Edinburgh
My reading of it is that there is no "traditional" sgian dubh - it was invented in the 19th C and its origins are shrouded in mystery. The possibly-sort-of-traditional "hidden knife" is the sgian achlais, and nobody really knows what it looked like.

If you're interested in known traditional Scottish knives from the earlier historical period, you're looking at something more like a dirk or bollock dagger.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE