Trade secrets?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Everything Mac

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 30, 2009
Scotland
Happy new year y'all!

An interesting conversation just came up over on a blacksmithing forum I use.

The subject was o. Trade secrets, and what would be considered a trade secret and subsequent passing of this knowledge on to new people.

i appreciate that bushcraft is an entirely different medium but I'd be interested to hear from the community regarding this idea.

We seem to take a different approach to the craft, which seems to actively promote sharing skills and ways of doing things. Why do you think this is so?

cheers

Outdoordude

Native
Mar 6, 2012
Kent
I think this is because bushcraft is not something to make money out of but a common interest. There are not a huge amount of us as we'll so if you find another the. You'll almost certainly want to befriend them and sharing your knowledge might be the best way to do that. :)

Everything Mac

Nov 30, 2009
Scotland
I agree mate. I guess f we don't share what we know, we risk loosing the knowledge altogether.

cheers

Outdoordude

Native
Mar 6, 2012
Kent
That sounds good mate. It is a small percentage of the population that do bushcraft and I for one would not want it to be lost.

Gaudette

Aug 24, 2012
Cambs
Maybe it's something to do with the fact that blacksmithing is considered a trade whereas bushcraft is more a way of life or pastime. I would be surprised if there were many trade secrets left with the advent of youtube and social media. It seems that if you look hard enough join forums etc you can pretty much find out anything. It's a very interesting question and i will be interested in the other responses. Maybe it's because Bushcrafters are at peace with themselves and have no need to keep secrets. I think we are a pretty friendly bunch. Is there a collective noun for Bushcrafters?

Niels

Mar 28, 2011
Netherlands
I think it's important to share what you know. Sometimes it's difficult, and it takes effort to explain something to a novice. But when doing this, you must realise that when you were a novice, someone else was having the same trouble explaining these things to you:) And as said if we stop sharing this knowledge, it becomes limited to a few experts and it will eventually vanish.

boatman

Feb 20, 2007
Cornwall
Are there any blacksmithing trade secrets that have not been published? There seem to be large numbers of books on all aspects of the craft. Of course amomngst blacksmiths there will be discussions about techniques and the exchange of tips and wrinkles but do these amount to "trade secrets"?

Everything Mac

Nov 30, 2009
Scotland
Are there any blacksmithing trade secrets that have not been published? There seem to be large numbers of books on all aspects of the craft. Of course amomngst blacksmiths there will be discussions about techniques and the exchange of tips and wrinkles but do these amount to "trade secrets"?

This is exactly the point if view many seem to have taken. There were obviously things that were kept within the trade way back when, and it seems to me many would have kept certain things from their apprentice to prevent them from running off and setting up a competing business.
But one has to ask is that relevant these days?

Needless to say some have gone down the route of "back in my day....." Cursing today's generation.

Is that something we can do in the bushcraft community? I don't think so, we ave a number of younger members interested in the hobby. Which should be embraced and nurtured in my opinion.

Do we have a responsibility to introduce our children to this sort of thing?
Andy

lucan

Nomad
Sep 6, 2010
East Yorks
I have two Teenage sons that have a keen interest in what i do for a living aswell as Bushcraft, They both know how to Mig and Stick weld and they made me a cracking folding grill as a Christmas present.:cool:

I know it's not exactly passing on Trade secrets, But giving them the knowledge of Fabricating/Welding if they decide its what they want to do as a career or just a Hobby.:)

Elen Sentier

I agree mate. I guess f we don't share what we know, we risk loosing the knowledge altogether.

cheers

That is sooooo true! Whether or not money means much to you - other than as a means of exchange - may well be a factor in "trade secrets". This forum seems in the mode of sharing rather than clutching selfishly to the bosom ... nice :cool:

Pryderi

Aug 6, 2005
Dorset and Wales
I remember reading many years ago a quote along the lines of "Any knowledge you glean wasn't yours to begin with... so you have a duty to pass it on"
I've met a few people during my (non bushcrafty) career who hoarded knowledge and acted as if any skills or knowledge other people possessed somehow diminished their own. I've always found that approach baffling and somewhat idiotic.

jackcbr

Native
Sep 25, 2008
Gatwick, UK
www.pickleimages.co.uk
Bushcraft trade secrets, hundreds of them!

Adapting you bow drill drill to a comfortable length for your body shape makes things a lot easier.

Fire steel - hold the striker in place and draw back the steel

And so on and so on.

Yeah, I know, basic stuff. But until you're told there's a better/easier way of doing things then you're not in on the secret. So to me, they are trade secrets, just badly kept

demographic

Apr 15, 2005
-------------
I'm possibly a bit thick in doing this but tend to help out anyone who asks to know almost anything I can help them with.

Might as well, it never got me far anyway...

the interceptor boy

Life Member
Mar 12, 2008
Angleterre.
I personal think that you should part with all your knowledge to your kids and really good good friends. as some on here will say that that will share everything with you just to either make money or get themselves a kind of reputation, for show, then telling on the quiet to stop asking them questions as you are stalking them. do I know of a few on here, yes I do. they know who they are themselves very well.
I am young and hungry for knowledge, but only a few have come forward so far.
blacksmithing is an art and a hard way to earn a living, bushcrafting is a hobby in this country, unless you travel to the third world, as most people would say, but I never been to a third world.
I am a native of one world. that is all I am saying. I am direct and most people don't like it. that all.
the interceptor boy.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE