Trade secrets?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Wayland

Hárbarðr
I personal think that you should part with all your knowledge to your kids and really good good friends. as some on here will say that that will share everything with you just to either make money or get themselves a kind of reputation, for show, then telling on the quiet to stop asking them questions as you are stalking them. do I know of a few on here, yes I do. they know who they are themselves very well.
<Snip

I'm not going to let that comment pass unchallenged.

The problem with repeatedly asking questions directly in Private Messages instead of openly on the forum, as you did numerous times to me, is that it demands personal attention which requires time and effort on the party of the person being asked.

More often than not that attention is freely given but when the questions get more and more complex, demanding more and more time to answer them it is hardly a fair thing to demand without invitation.

I eventually asked you to start using the forum properly instead of pestering me directly, after making numerous hints, when you stated outright that you were systematically reading through all the posts I had ever written on the forum and after you had made a number of inappropriate and over familiar comments based upon such stalker like behaviour. I do not think my request was unreasonable under the circumstances.

What you then did was start to pester other prominent members, again through the private messaging system instead of asking such questions on the open forum where the answers could be made by anyone and appreciated by everybody.

I think you may need to examine your own conduct in this matter and consider your position before making such snide and spiteful comments on this forum where members have, so far, treated you with a good degree of tolerance...

ateallthepies

Native
Aug 11, 2011
hertfordshire
The only example of this I can recall is when I watched an episode of River Cottage where Hugh got the Butcher round to carve up some animal for eating. At one point the Butcher told Hugh (who was watching along with the rest of us) to make some Tea. Hugh got the point and understood the following process was something the Butcher did not want to share maybe a trade secret? I can understand as the bloke made his living from this.

With regard to Bushcraft I can see there being no Trade Secrets as as there is so much info out there for those willing to learn.

Steve.

The only example of this I can recall is when I watched an episode of River Cottage where Hugh got the Butcher round to carve up some animal for eating. At one point the Butcher told Hugh (who was watching along with the rest of us) to make some Tea. Hugh got the point and understood the following process was something the Butcher did not want to share maybe a trade secret? I can understand as the bloke made his living from this.

With regard to Bushcraft I can see there being no Trade Secrets as as there is so much info out there for those willing to learn.

Steve.
i know the episode you are reffering to. I think it was more to slow the butcher boy from learning too fasr?

Colin.W

Nomad
May 3, 2009
Weston Super Mare Somerset UK
I've been in the building trade as a carpenter for a lot of years and I still enjoy my work, I trained as a site joiner with wimpey builders when they had a workforce instead of site managers and subconcractors. I have found that most tradesmen on site were fairly happy to pass on their knowledge obviously with gas and electrics being tightly regulated there is only a limited amount you can do without the right qualifications. Also my wife and I are quite keen on various arts and crafts and most people we have met within the crafting circle are happy to show how to achieve the right results. As Geoff just said having the knowledge and being able to put that knowledge to practice is where the skill is. I've had apprentices working under me who I have spent half a day explaining why and how a task is done in a certain way to have them do something completely different and sometimes even dangerous that is why they undergo proper training to make sure they are safe and the work they do is not ruined. As a person who enjoys bushcrafting I pass on what knowledge I have freely with the same thought in mind so they stay safe, enjoy their experience and they dont mess up the woodlands so other people may enjoy them as well

calgarychef

Forager
May 19, 2011
woking
As a chef I don't have any "secrets" and virtually everything that I was taught in school or during my apprenticeship was a sharing of knowledge. If humans didn't share knowledge we'd still be sitting in cold dark caves scavenging for food.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE