TRACKS: Who dunnit?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Feb 15, 2011
Elsewhere
It's been a long time since I walked down this path, but I'm glad the mystery has been finally solved............................................................................................................................or has it?

JonathanD

Ophiological Genius
Sep 3, 2004
Stourton,UK
It's been a long time since I walked down this path, but I'm glad the mystery has been finally solved............................................................................................................................or has it?

I'd say not. I'll only be accepting this when I see it in the flesh.

Wolfie

Need to contact Admin...
Jul 19, 2004
S.Wales
Hate to be a party pooper but has nobody else spotted the claw marks that are visible in the original pics?

JonathanD

Ophiological Genius
Sep 3, 2004
Stourton,UK
Hate to be a party pooper but has nobody else spotted the claw marks that are visible in the original pics?

Unfortunately there aren't any. Anything that looks like a clawmark is down to my photography creating shadow in a depression in roughly the right area caused by something else. I examined the prints from every angle and there was definately no claw marks otherwise we wouldn't be having this discussion.

Wolfie

Need to contact Admin...
Jul 19, 2004
S.Wales
Sometimes we see what we want to see (or not). Look again, they are there. I missed them at first and got all excited but was shown them by my 10 year old son!

JonathanD

Ophiological Genius
Sep 3, 2004
Stourton,UK
Sometimes we see what we want to see (or not). Look again, they are there. I missed them at first and got all excited but was shown them by my 10 year old son!

Seriously, they aren't claw prints. I had no desire to see claws or not see them as I'm impartial and examined them from a scientific POV, which I apply to all wildlife as well as my own field, but there just are not any in those tracks and I examined over fifty individual prints.

Last edited:

JonathanD

Ophiological Genius
Sep 3, 2004
Stourton,UK
Could you highlight where you see them wolfie?

That would be good...

16Feb201124.jpg

JonathanD

Ophiological Genius
Sep 3, 2004
Stourton,UK
O go on, let there be one, then we can start all over again !

Quite. Here are the original pics. There are some indents on there, but they aren't claw marks, I examined them for hours on end, back and forth ad infinitum. the mud was very squishy and deep here, so claw marks should have been picked up. I should have had Pops with me.

16Feb201123.jpg

16Feb201124.jpg

Wolfie

Need to contact Admin...
Jul 19, 2004
S.Wales
Not a technical whiz so will have to describe rather than post the pics with descriptions.

Go around each toe methodically and look for the marks. Bear in mind that claw marks don’t have to be sharp and clear but can be blunt, faint and hard to spot.

Look at the pic showing the two prints, take the right print and look approx 1cm in front of the two middle digits, and possibly the right digit as well.

The left print also shows signs on digit 2 & 4 (starting form the left).

Bear in mind that items like the stick / vegetation will possibly have prevented any marks from being made.

I’m not trying to put anyone down with this, just trying to help.

JonathanD

Ophiological Genius
Sep 3, 2004
Stourton,UK
Not a technical whiz so will have to describe rather than post the pics with descriptions.

Go around each toe methodically and look for the marks. Bear in mind that claw marks don’t have to be sharp and clear but can be blunt, faint and hard to spot.

Look at the pic showing the two prints, take the right print and look approx 1cm in front of the two middle digits, and possibly the right digit as well.

The left print also shows signs on digit 2 & 4 (starting form the left).

Bear in mind that items like the stick / vegetation will possibly have prevented any marks from being made.

I’m not trying to put anyone down with this, just trying to help.

I know exactly the marks you mean, but they aren't part of the print. They are indents already there and in one case a pocket that the track caused by covering the original indent with pressure and creating a small air cavity. The two marks each side of the stick were caused by two buds each side of the semi submerged stick moving back and forth as pressure was put upon it. You can see further evidence of this by the way the tip of the stick has created a larger groove further down, but not further up.

Don't worry about putting anyone down. This isn't a personal thing. I'm just presenting the facts as I found them. There were no claw marks, and I looked closely at all the indents that are around the pads were claws would be present. None of them represented anything as fresh as the track and were much older. You can tell this in the picture by the smooth gloss finish rather than the grainy matt texture presented by the fresh track.

Last edited:

Wolfie

Need to contact Admin...
Jul 19, 2004
S.Wales
If the animal has long claws that would normally register, possibly. What I'm thinking is if this is an animal that has spent a lot of time on tarmac / hard surfaces the claws may not register, at least not as much as would normally be expected.

Wolfie

Need to contact Admin...
Jul 19, 2004
S.Wales
No worries JD. I personally would still be a bit concerned about labelling this as a feline print but as the guy on the ground you have a lot more detail than that shown so go with your gut / deductions.

The problem with photos is nearly always the lack of context. Think of it as trying to describe the plot of a film by looking at a still clip. You may get some of the story but most of it wil be lost on you. The more context / details / photos can be given instead of just "a mystery print" the better.

Wolfie

Need to contact Admin...
Jul 19, 2004
S.Wales
Southey, on the right print yes. On the left print there is also another possible on digit 4 closer to the ruler.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE