TRACKS: Who dunnit?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

JonathanD

Ophiological Genius
Sep 3, 2004
Stourton,UK
Here's one for all you track lovers. Found on a well worn badger highway well away from human habitation and walkers. I go there regularly and the only people you see are the occasional serious mountain bikers....

16Feb201123.jpg

16Feb201124.jpg

shaggystu

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 10, 2003
Derbyshire
no claw marks so i'd have to say some sort of cat, but the print's 2 and a half inches long, that's not someones pet tabby.

stuart

JonathanD

Ophiological Genius
Sep 3, 2004
Stourton,UK
Print on the right was 8cm long, left was 7cm toe to heel. Nothing iffy here, these are the tracks as I saw them. They carried on for about 50 yards, then over a fence into a cordoned off area of pine forest where I lost the track. These were the best prints of the whole foot, the other where on drier parts of the path or on short grass, none of the prints had any claw marks with them. The last mountain bike track on there was at least 48 hours old, you can see it running along at the top of the picture. No human prints about at all apart from mine.

Last edited:

leon-1

There look like there are some faint claw marks. It may be just me, but it also looks like that part of the track maybe slightly sloping. The track is mainly round in shape so probably not a fox which is born out by the pads and how they align with the distal pad.

Apart from that the track looks like it's a dog, possibly something like a springer spaniel size.

Just a thought, some dogs have worn down claws like the ones you find on a hunt, stray foxhound.

Last edited:

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
Print on the right was 8cm long, left was 7cm toe to heel. Nothing iffy here, these are the tracks as I saw them. They carried on for about 50 yards, then over a fence into a cordoned off area of pine forest where I lost the track. These were the best prints of the whole foot, the other where on drier parts of the path or on short grass, none of the prints had any claw marks with them. The last mountain bike track on there was at least 48 hours old, you can see it running along at the top of the picture. No human prints about at all apart from mine.

Well if they're kosher then it's big cat all day long for me

Feb 15, 2011
Elsewhere
Here's one for all you track lovers. Found on a well worn badger highway well away from human habitation and walkers. I go there regularly and the only people you see are the occasional serious mountain bikers....

16Feb201123.jpg

16Feb201124.jpg

Hi, these look like feline prints, round, pads close together & no sign of claws, but being 8 centimetres long & 8cm wide, that would be one big moggie, also the distance between the tracks is only around 15cm which suggests a cat walking slowly. was the ground very soft, if so then the animal was weighing in between 2 to 3 kilos. The tracks are younger than the tyre print (the ground was dryer when the bike passed as they are shallower) since they overlap..... A facsinating enigma, it will be interesting reading other suggestions......Thanks for posting

JonathanD

Ophiological Genius
Sep 3, 2004
Stourton,UK
Definately not fox, badger or otter. I track those three every week. I got a cracking cast of the nicest and clearest badger print I've ever seen. It was whil I was waiting for that to set when I wondered off and saw these. Really really narked that I had no more plaster, But I will go back tomorrow as the ground around there has the best substrate I've seen for clear tracks.

JonathanD

Ophiological Genius
Sep 3, 2004
Stourton,UK
Wild cats, like all wild felins, have big paws, & wild cats can weigh up to 8 kilos, & are considerably larger & stockier than an average pet tabby.

Not Felis silvestris grampia, I've seen these tracks, and although similar to domestic cats, certainly get nowhere near the size of these tracks. Usually on my tracking threads I post the tracks up knowing full well what they are. In this case I only know full well what they are not. To quote Holmes and following his doctrin “Once you have eliminated the impossible, then whatever is left, no matter how improbable, must be the solution." My conclusion is, I need to investigate more, because I don't like the answer. I wish someone else had of been present to record these as well.

JonathanD

Ophiological Genius
Sep 3, 2004
Stourton,UK
You're absolutly right not to accept maybe's, shame it's not possible to place a night vision camera......what are the chances he will pass by there again ?...................we may all be pleasantly surprised if we knew what it was, evan if it's just a cat, with paws like that he must be excaptional.

It's remote enough to set up a camera trap. I am relatively free from meetings this week so can get up there a few times to get a good look around and get some casts, hair and follow the tracks back and forward. Unfortunately I won't be able to set up a camera trap as I'm off abroad for a while, but may leave it in the hands of another member on here if I'm able.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE