TRACKS: Who dunnit?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

FerlasDave

Jun 18, 2008
Off the beaten track
Wow just caught up with this thread and its deffinately interesting. Jon, are those deffinately husky prints? they could be mixed up with malamute prints although Im not sure the two species might have a similar gait.

Still keeping an open mind but at a guess I would have said lynx too however there is NO WAY Im dressing up as a meat man!

Feb 15, 2011
Elsewhere
WK024478.jpg

stock-photo-print-of-a-paw-siberian-husky-47509777.jpg

husky_paw.jpg
[/QUt

They look a little more heftier than whispy, I did'nt include toy breeds for obvious reasons, ....keep trying guys.

Last edited:

JonathanD

Ophiological Genius
Sep 3, 2004
Stourton,UK
Wow just caught up with this thread and its deffinately interesting. Jon, are those deffinately husky prints? they could be mixed up with malamute prints although Im not sure the two species might have a similar gait.

Still keeping an open mind but at a guess I would have said lynx too however there is NO WAY Im dressing up as a meat man!

After a bit of searching. Not husky or malamute....

481491426_e677071bff.jpg

5247806744_0dca6a2c29.jpg

Both distinctly doggy in comparison.

Feb 15, 2011
Elsewhere
Too right.

come on guys, get a grip!.......the chances of being attacked, even if you were lucky enough to come face to face with it are infinitisable (?)

......anyway.the bugger would hear you comming from 2 miles away & be long gone.....unless it was a tiger of course............could it be?

If I was near by I'd be camping up there........................

Last edited:

JonathanD

Ophiological Genius
Sep 3, 2004
Stourton,UK
come on guys, get a grip!.......the chances of being attacked, even if you were lucky enough to be face to face with it are infinitisable (?)........the bugger would hear you comming from 2 miles away & be long gone.....unless it was a tiger of coarse............could it be?

I was reffering to having a good search. I wrestle with mambas and puff adders daily (well.... weekly... ish). Puddy-tats don't scare me.

wattsy

Native
Dec 10, 2009
Lincoln
There will be many examples of dogs jumping walls & fences from a standing start, but I was indicating that when a dog has a barrier before him, he will naturally, try to find another way past ( around , under of through it) a dog won't approach a fence then just leap over, without breaking stride ( unless he's chasing something that is )............& a pure dingo could jump a 2 metre fence, from a sitting start & with one paw tied behind his back............................................cheers.

there's no way that you can assume that every dog, when confronted with an obstacle, will always look for an easier way my dogs don't even bother looknig most of the time if they want to look on the other side of a stream, fence etc they just jump it as i've said my collie does 2m from a standing start and could probably do more with a run up and a bit of a scrabble my lurchers (including one who's only 22" at the shoulder) can do the same

JonathanD

Ophiological Genius
Sep 3, 2004
Stourton,UK
there's no way that you can assume that every dog, when confronted with an obstacle, will always look for an easier way my dogs don't even bother looknig most of the time if they want to look on the other side of a stream, fence etc they just jump it as i've said my collie does 2m from a standing start and could probably do more with a run up and a bit of a scrabble my lurchers (including one who's only 22" at the shoulder) can do the same

I don't think he was saying it's a hard and fast rule that dogs will do that, just that it's more in a cats nature to walk and jump over an item without stopping or breaking stride, than it is a dogs. It's just a case of narrowing down the possibilities to ID the animal that made the tracks. So far, that behaviour recorded in the track is more attributed to cat than dog. But we mustn't rule out that a dog that walks the area regularly may do this too. It's annoying that no one knows for sure what it is, I've posted some obscure tracks up in the past and loads of people have been 100% positive of what made them.

Feb 15, 2011
Elsewhere

Hi there, all contributions welcome....... no I wasn't assuming anything, I was more pressuming, since we cannot identify the tracks by themselves we have to try & work out it's behavour, leisurely strolling along, in a straight line then jump a 1 metre high fence with no hesitation, without breaking stride & probably not knowing whats on the otherside is not, in my humble experience & éven humbler knowledge, typical canine behaviour, .................there are dogs that can easily jump fences, from a standing start or a 100 metre run up, there are some that can do it backwards, sideways , upside down or wearing a tutu, the athletic prouess of our canine friends is not in question. If you are saying though that your dogs will jump an unknown high fence, on unknown territory, not knowing whats on t'other side, without hesitation ................I believe you.

Last edited:
Feb 15, 2011
Elsewhere
I don't think he was saying it's a hard and fast rule that dogs will do that, just that it's more in a cats nature to walk and jump over an item without stopping or breaking stride, than it is a dogs. It's just a case of narrowing down the possibilities to ID the animal that made the tracks. So far, that behaviour recorded in the track is more attributed to cat than dog. But we mustn't rule out that a dog that walks the area regularly may do this too. It's annoying that no one knows for sure what it is, I've posted some obscure tracks up in the past and loads of people have been 100% positive of what made them.

No it"s not annoying not knowing, where's the fun in getting it right first time,...................& anyway, even if someone did put foreward a plausable candidate , would you really believe them without being totally convinced yourself ?

JonathanD

Ophiological Genius
Sep 3, 2004
Stourton,UK
No it"s not annoying not knowing, where's the fun in getting it right first time,...................& anyway, even if someone did put foreward a plausable candidate , would you really believe them without being totally convinced yourself ?

So far, the only thing that has been offered is Bobcat. Being a big cat sceptic, ashamedly I haven't even investigated their prints. So I'll do that right away.

Feb 15, 2011
Elsewhere
Not as spot on as the Lynx seems to be. But far closer than husky..

Bobcat%20tracks.jpg

bobcat_5.jpg

bobcattracks11809.jpg

Whole website full of them here..... http://www.bear-tracker.com/bobcattrackphotos.html

they are smaller than your tracks too, .... the heel pad does seem to have a charateristic shape........but these prints were made in firmer ground........... I guess there are as many different prints as there are bobcats, they all look different to me......bobcats are what Americans call lynxes................I'm not convinced .............yet.

JonathanD

Ophiological Genius
Sep 3, 2004
Stourton,UK
they are smaller than your tracks too, .... the heel pad does seem to have a charateristic shape........but these prints were made in firmer ground........... I guess there are as many different prints as there are bobcats, they all look different to me......bobcats are what Americans call lynxes................I'm not convinced .............yet.

Eurasion Lynx where the previous prints that I posted up that looked very similar. I should have made that clearer. So far though, the tracks I recorded have far more in common with the cats than dogs. So far.

Feb 15, 2011
Elsewhere
Eurasion Lynx where the previous prints that I posted up that looked very similar. I should have made that clearer. So far though, the tracks I recorded have far more in common with the cats than dogs. So far.

once small step for a cat, one giant leap for us...................could the mist be rising ...........

Last edited:

FerlasDave

Jun 18, 2008
Off the beaten track
Well with Lynx being my second favourite cat next to the tiger I would guess at the print looking very similar in shape and size. If it were a tiger then the print would be closer to 10cm or more. Also over at swift valley last year a 'lynx' was spotted a few times.

Rumi

Forager
Dog or Cat, I do get your point. I have taken over 80 pictures and went back today, but we have had a lot of rain. I saw a dark animal, out of the corner of my eye and turned to see the characteristic tail. That is my bike tyre tread so the timescales are similar. The photo is reduced in size because it is impossible to upload them to my server in the size that the camera generates.

There were no other tack, and this wasn't on footpath. But it is possible that what I saw left no track and a dog with or without a person passed. I didnt see the footfall, so no I am not 100% certain.

Why big cats have never attacked anyone yet I do not know. In Sri Lanka where Leopards are common and whose favourite attack is to drop on prey from a branch rarely attack humans.

There was a swan killed not far from here and the kill was characteristic of a cat killl. The carcase was stripped clean. and the feathers were very neat. I will post the pictures in a few days.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE