tracks from a dog walk

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

maverix

Forager
May 16, 2005
North Devon coast
Well Im 99% sure what this is.

I found it on a dog walk this morning and although it looks well dried, so I assume its been there for a few days hence other tracks are obscured by a myriad dog and boot prints. how ever the prints that are left seem to be clean and easy to ID.

Pic 1.
shows the direction of travel emerging from a run through remaining dried bracken on one side of the path across the path and I suspect through a gap in the fence.

Hhog01.jpg

Pic 2.
Is a detail of the cleanest print.
Hhog02.jpg

Not sure if anyone's interested but Ill look for others next time I'm out with the spotty one :D

dommyracer

Native
May 26, 2006
London
to my eyes the toes don't look splayed enough for a vole, the print looks like it has three 'fingers' and a 'thumb', much like a rat as Justin says.

maverix

Forager
May 16, 2005
North Devon coast
well I have been to and froeing between a rat and a hedgehog.

Went back for another look today and I'm going for the prickly option seemed to be a little shorter than my experience of rat tracks

dommyracer

Native
May 26, 2006
London
I thought that they are quite short for rat. But hedgehogs have 5 toes, there's only 4 visible in those prints.

any other sign around? feeding, droppings etc?

Silverback

Sep 29, 2006
England
The point at which those prints have been photographed is a fairly uneven rutted part of muddy pathway over which a rat would shorten its gait to negotiate and maybe even have a bit of a more detailed sniff at the array of different scents that must be present. I am therefore going for rat. There should also be some evidence of a tail drag in that mud somewhere I would have thought

bear knights

Need to contact Admin...
Jan 18, 2007
Cornwall
would be inclined to say that its my hedgehog friend on the prowl again. they do have five toes, but rarely see the fifth, even in mud like this. if it was a rat, you might have seen the hind foot, also with five toes, and they tend to be more splayed, like they'd be great piano players.

Greg

Jul 16, 2006
Pembrokeshire
IMO although hard to tell the prints seem to be about the right size for a Brown Rat.
EDIT: On further investigation, the prints might not be spread apart enough to be a brown rat, but alas I am no expert by any stretch of the imagination!!

moko

Forager
Apr 28, 2005
out there
Two different critters? Its the spacing between each individual print which looks a little odd to me. Plus, if this is a well used run more than one animal is likely to use it. Hedgehog is a good bet given its weight and shortish gait...........could the track on the left be a treerat?

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE