Touching the Void...a must see

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Kim

Nomad
Sep 6, 2004
Birmingham
One to look out for is a film called Touching the Void due to be shown on Channel four sometime soon. A dramatisation/documentary about two climbers and an ascent that went terribly wrong. A true testimony to the human spirit and it's ability to survive against all the odds.

tenbears10

Native
Oct 31, 2003
xxxx
Do you know when Kim? I wanted to see it at the cinema but never got round to it. It would be great to see it on TV.

Bill

Kim

Nomad
Sep 6, 2004
Birmingham
Not sure, but I'll post it when I find out.

It is being shown on the channel four film channel though I think.

Bushmaster

Forager
Oct 17, 2004
Scotland
This is the best film I have seen.It is a real testament to the strength of the human spirit and shows that if you have the pig headed ****** mindedness to survive you will( have I given the end away).I read the book three times and when i saw it on wide screen it blew me away,great cinamatography,and Joe Simpson act as himsel in parts.I now have it on DVD and the wife is well sick of it.lol:lol: If you buy the DVD watch the extras as the documentary showing the makeing of the film is as good as or even better than the film.
:chill: Geoff

Stew

Bushcrafter through and through
Nov 29, 2003
Aylesbury
stewartjlight-knives.com
tenbears10 said:
I wanted to see it at the cinema but never got round to it.

IIRC it was quite difficut to see at the cinema because it was only a limited release. I eventually got to see it on a Director's Chair showing. I was very impressed and it represented the book well.

Roving Rich

Oct 13, 2003
Nr Reading
Yeh Excellent movie, very faithful to the books too.
I have read a number of his books and find them all fantastically gripping. You just can't put em down.
Definetely one to watch :biggthump

Cheers
Rich

Squidders

Aug 3, 2004
Harrow, Middlesex
I saw it at a small cinema in Windsor a while ago... up until that point a friend and I were going to do some nice alpine climbing... I'm now looking for a new alpine climbing buddy :wink:

It's a truely epic story in every way and well worth adding to your DVD collection.

If you're remotely into climbing, I would also recommend "blood, sweat & bagels" for a climbing trip to Yosemite up El Cap and "Hard Grit" for real climbing up in the Peak District... but I don't want to go too off topic.

A few bits to make sure you catch in Touching the void are: the initial cracking when trying to walk on broken legs and the "Brown girl in the ring" bit... both scenes had all the down jacket wearing climbing types in the cinema cringing and laughing :)

Leon

Sep 14, 2003
Lincolnshire
I agree, great film and I'm looking forward to seeing it again.
Do either the DVD or book explore in more depth the arguments over the descision to cut or not to cut, as it were?
I watched it on vid and have often wondered what other options the climbing fraternity feel were realistic in that situation. :?:

Squidders

Aug 3, 2004
Harrow, Middlesex
Leon said:
I agree, great film and I'm looking forward to seeing it again.
Do either the DVD or book explore in more depth the arguments over the descision to cut or not to cut, as it were?
I watched it on vid and have often wondered what other options the climbing fraternity feel were realistic in that situation. :?:

If I was dangling there for any time with nothing happening i'm not sure I would be able to cut it myself.

From the belayers point of view, there was no option after so much time spent being pulled off the mountain. If someone is just hanging there motionless with no slack on the rope for so long, it is the only option.

I don't think that was the crux of the incident though, because there was no choice... no it wasn't taken lightly, but cutting the rope was the only course of action. What happened next is what really told the story.

Bushmaster

Forager
Oct 17, 2004
Scotland
There has been much debate within the climbing fraternity about this, and Simon for a long time was treat like a pariah. In my humble opinion what he did was excactly correct,he was left alone,holding onto what could have been a dead body,the mountain slipping away from him and no other option but to cut the rope.No one can judge him,he was there ,they weren't and in the end his actions subsequently saved both lives.

Geoff

Stew

Bushcrafter through and through
Nov 29, 2003
Aylesbury
stewartjlight-knives.com
The only reason there was so much debate was because Joe was still alive. If Joe hadn't of made it back down, everyone would have thought that Joe was already dead when hanging on the end of the rope and it wouldn't have been a problem for people to accept.

Personally, I totally agree with Simon's actions.

ScottC

Banned
May 2, 2004
uk
My grandad who used to do alot of climbing met Joe simpson in the lake district some years ago and went climbing with him, he told me that he was always talking to himself and seemed to distance himself, or something like that. I will ask him again later.

ScottC

Banned
May 2, 2004
uk
My grandad who used to do alot of climbing met Joe Simpson both in North Wales and France he said he was quite arrogant and talked to himself abit.

RAPPLEBY2000

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Dec 2, 2003
England
sorry to upset you guy's
but it's being shown on "Film Four" not "channel four"

so digital viewers only i'm afraid!

good film though i have seen it,
be aware it is like a documentary which is a little offputting! :shock:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE