Hello again! and a question on motivations..

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

OldFingersGreen

Forager
Jan 30, 2009
Manchester
Hello again all you lovely people!

It's been a while since I posted last, my old username was naboo_the_enigma though I haven't used that account in a good few years. That being said I have still been lurking in the shadows and keeping up to date with all the wonderful things this fantastic forum has to offer.

My interest in bushcraft has not waned but my internet time turned to other places as I have spent my spare time over these gap years building homemade instruments. I was making Native American flutes when I was active on this forum and still do but now I also build guitars, ukuleles, banjos, mandolins etc. A lot of my time has also been spent learning how to play the damn things!

Now, the reason for my resurfacing. My partner and I have recently begun a project to film a documentary whilst walking 2100 miles on a "thru-hike" of the Appalachian Trail. The walk takes approximately six months and covers most of the East coast of America.

The project (called "The Thru-hikers Guide to the Galaxy) is still in it's early stages, it is the first film either of us have made and we are currently working on a crowd funding campaign and sponsorship deals to get it off the ground.

We wanted to make this documentary to find out what on earth possesses people to pay a large amount of money to spend six months of their lives mostly cold and wet, hiking fifteen plus miles a day, eating dried food and sleeping on the trail.

The greater idea, to me, is to find out what it is in us all that draws us to nature. I have my suspicions.. I think I know what makes me go for walks and wild camp and to catch and eat food cooked on a campfire but I have absolutely no idea why I want to walk over 2000 miles, I just know that I do..

This is where you guys come in, posts on here have always inspired me and as a collective I believe the answers to the questions I ask are already answered on this forum (I'm ignoring that though so I can make this film) :)

I'd love to hear what motivates you guys, if there are any long distance trekkers on here, what made/makes you do it? If any of you have undertaken a task that was a challenge I would love to hear what drove you.

Anybody who has lived a long time without a true home, whether by choice or necessity, what did you lose/gain from the experience. Was it an escape, an exploration, search for discovery? None or all of the above??

I really look forward to hearing from you guys as the wise words on this wonderful website have often inspired me in the past. If you have anything at all to contribute please don't hesitate at all!

Thank you and it's good to be back

Daniel

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE