Touching the Void...a must see

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Kim

Nomad
Sep 6, 2004
Birmingham
Blimey I am flagging, I was sat here thinking...what's he going on about? Brown girl in the ring.....

OH YEAH.

Still can't get over your avator, it's genius.

Leon

Sep 14, 2003
Lincolnshire
RAPPLEBY2000 said:
sorry to upset you guy's
but it's being shown on "Film Four" not "channel four"

so digital viewers only i'm afraid!

good film though i have seen it,
be aware it is like a documentary which is a little offputting! :shock:

From Channel 4 website:
Watch the world television premiere of Touching The Void on FilmFour Weekly from 25-31 Oct at 10pm and Channel 4 on 4 Nov at 9pm
:nana:

Leon

Sep 14, 2003
Lincolnshire
Bushmaster said:
There has been much debate within the climbing fraternity about this, and Simon for a long time was treat like a pariah. In my humble opinion what he did was excactly correct,he was left alone,holding onto what could have been a dead body,the mountain slipping away from him and no other option but to cut the rope.No one can judge him,he was there ,they weren't and in the end his actions subsequently saved both lives.

Geoff

I whole-heartedly agree with your sentiments. I was shocked to hear how Simon was treated.
However, not being a technical climber myself, I'm curious to know what other options the critics thought Simon had. Personally, I haven't been able to think of any.
Whilst I know this isn't the main thrust of the film, it is a key point and I just wondered whether or not the book/DVD addresses these issues in more depth.
The movie mentions that Simon was heavily criticsed but doesn't explain why.

ScottC

Banned
May 2, 2004
uk
Joe Simpson isn't very popular in the climbing world at the moment, he broke the code and condemned a fellow climber to make money.

JakeR

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 18, 2004
Cardiff
My friend lent me the book. And you can only guess what i went and did :roll:

Kim

Nomad
Sep 6, 2004
Birmingham
1) lost it
2) used it as tinder just to see how well it would work
3) sold it on e-bay for an inflated price the profit from which you bought yourself another knife

????

tomtom

Dec 9, 2003
Sunny South Devon
Jake Rollnick said:
My friend lent me the book. And you can only guess what i went and did :roll:

Kim said:
1) lost it
2) used it as tinder just to see how well it would work
3) sold it on e-bay for an inflated price the profit from which you bought yourself another knife

????

come on Kim, this is Jake Rollnick we are talking about here there is only really ONE option as to what he did with it...

Jake Rollnick said:

see :rolmao:

CLEM

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jul 10, 2004
Stourbridge
I watched it last night and i agree it was a damn good film,thanks for the recomendation gentlemen. :biggthump

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE