Top ten myths about introverts

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
What absolute and utter nonsense. For the last decade or
so Government and corporate sectors have tried to pigeon hole people, and so making those sectors easier to deal with. Corporations and businesses like to categorize you into four sectors. Blue, green, yellow and red. It is bolllocks. Individuals are exactly that. Individual. Categorization cannot. Does not. And will never work. It makes me incredibly angry during meetings when they assess profiles and look in their book for the best way to deal with you. Utter corporate crap.

But you are red dominant and blue secondary yes? ;)

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Did anyone bother to go and look at the website that that article was copied from ?

The man is anything but anti social, or into pigeonholing people, or 'bigging' them up, but he is into understanding and explanation; and a huge advocate of creative open mindedness, multitasking, intelligent and capable people.

http://www.carlkingcreative.com

cheers,
Toddy

Biker

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
So would an introvert be the type who'd take a rifle up to a bell tower over a college campus and open fire on people, or would that be an extrovert type? Maybe the introvert would enjoy bing lone with his rifle whereas the extrovert would stand amongst the crowd rubbing shoulders with his future victims.

All joking aside I'm with Emma on this. Pigeon holing is a dangerous practice, bit like having your bumps felt and it considered a bona fide science. You are what you are, don't let others decide for you.

Paul_B

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
I took the list as a kind of pick what you want from it if you want to that is. I looked at it because I have always thought of myself as introverted. However reading that list I "made" myself fit a lot of it. By that I meant it is to narrow a description of people to be true but like astrology you can make it fit you and your life. However for a lot of it I could see elements of me. However I can assure you that all the introverts I know (or people that I'd call introverts) also have extreme sports as hobbies. However I think that is because over the years those activities have been what I've been into so I'm more likely to meet others into them of which some are introverted.

Anyway that list is a good starting point and worthy of discussion but with the warning if you think you have people pigeon-holed into neat boxes and expect to be able to predict anything from that then you'll come a cropper!! We are not definable, we are changeable (and our English is too, I mean why does define go to definable without the middle "e" but change goes to changeable??? Will someone tell me WHHHHHYYYYYYYYYY!!!!!).

Sorry short attention span sometimes.

BTW I am both extrovert and introvert depending on my mood. I wonder if there is a kind of halfway house?? Sort of half one and half the other. If so I'm there!!

Biker

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
BTW I am both extrovert and introvert depending on my mood. I wonder if there is a kind of halfway house?? Sort of half one and half the other. If so I'm there!!

I think the description, or pigeon hole you're describing is called "Normal". I could have used the words Ordinary, Common, Average but they seem to have undertones of sounding insulting. :lmao:

I do like to think of myself as different from the rest of the herd, but it might just mean I should be included in another herd instead. Bit like the Zebra that get mixed up with the Wilderbeasts. Suffice to say I seem to have found the herd that frequents this forum to be my kindred. Really happy about that too.

DaveBromley

May 17, 2010
Manchester, England
As anyone who has met me will know I'm no introvert! I do however find myself spending less and less time with others as i find my own company and inner thoughts more interesting, i think this is because i have less and less in common with the average joe. I think this is part of a constant cycle that as we grow as people we gravitate to new groups as our interests and focus' change.

I refuse to be pigeon holed and refuse to change to meet others expectations of me, i am who i am either love me or hate me. I would much rather that someone who didn't like my personality just said so and that way there would be no wasted time getting to know someone who doesn't like you in the first place leaving more time to do the things that we enjoy

Dave

Swallow

Native
May 27, 2011
London
Such things are only maps, they either help explore the actual territory or not depending on how good the map is.

I guess there is also a difference whether it's yourself or someone else you are mapping.

You don't often see people (that you consider to be well balanced at that point in time) having a tantrum because reality does not match the map. Or saying that the map is pigeon-holing the territory. Then it's just a map, good or bad, this doesn't seem that much different to me.

EmmaD

Forager
Feb 27, 2011
South Staffs
How can you equate mapping territory and terrain to mapping the human psyche, and deeper still to mapping an individual psyche, personality or mood. It is far more complex and no one really understands it as a whole without delving into individuality. That is why these pigeon holes or colour groups are invented with only a few options. Any more and it would be impossible to manage the groups. Those that do not conform to specific groups are branded. And I have seen people fail interviews and lose jobs because they fail the psyche tests. But in every other aspect would have been or are, perfect for that job.

Last edited:

Stew

Bushcrafter through and through
Nov 29, 2003
Aylesbury
stewartjlight-knives.com
How can you equate mapping territory and terrain to mapping the human psyche, and deeper still to mapping an individual psyche, personality or mood. It is far more complex and no one really understands it as a whole without delving into individuality. That is why these pigeon holes or colour groups are invented with only a few options. Any more and it would be impossible to manage the groups. Those that do not conform to specific groups are branded. And I have seen people fail interviews and lose jobs because they fail the psyche tests. But in every other aspect would have been or are, perfect for that job.

but that's where it's taken too far.

However, I think they can be a good thing for helping other people understand you. I have some issues(!) but they're personality based and when people understand that's why, it helps.

I also think they can be useful as a bit of self evaluation.

I don't see them as a major thing to base life on, by any means.

JonathanD

Ophiological Genius
Sep 3, 2004
Stourton,UK
I have to agree with Emm on this one. I've been part of a culture where the colour chart dominated the way Directors and senior management dealt with people. It worked with some folks, but not with others who suffered as a result. This is the chart she's on about...

http://img.docstoccdn.com/thumb/orig/409272.png

That is the danger when over reliance on categorisation takes place and people are not treated as individuals - but as one of four personality types or a number. To quote Number 6 'I am not a number!!!!'.

Last edited:

EmmaD

Forager
Feb 27, 2011
South Staffs
I have to agree with Emm on this one. I've been part of a culture where the colour chart dominated the way Directors and senior management dealt with people. It worked with some folks, but not with others who suffered as a result. This is the chart she's on about...

http://img.docstoccdn.com/thumb/orig/409272.png

That is the danger when over reliance on categorisation takes place and people are not treated as individuals - but as one of four personality types or a number. To quote Number 6 'I am not a number!!!!'.

Well put Mr Green with a chunk of Yellow and Blue

I remember Rolex categorized you as a chameleon though. Tailored to meet your audience and surroundings. In other words they could not pigeon hole you.

Retired Member southey

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jun 4, 2006
your house!
Why is it there isn't a box\colour that just says "IDIOT do not engage with or employ you would better spend your time and money picking peanuts out of some imported poo"? I know I would fall into this bow, but still why?

JonathanD

Ophiological Genius
Sep 3, 2004
Stourton,UK
Well put Mr Green with a chunk of Yellow and Blue

I remember Rolex categorized you as a chameleon though. Tailored to meet your audience and surroundings. In other words they could not pigeon hole you.

You see, that is where it goes wrong. British Red put you as a red, which most people do. But they are money motivated, and you certainly aren't. You also aren't loud and have a great volume, although that will be lost here as folks can't tell because your posts come over JUST like that if your talking voice doesn't. You do think you are always right, but you are very compassionate. So that's not really red is it. In fact it's a conflict and you don't really fit into the others either.

I was mostly categorised as Yellow with Green as my secondary or Green and Yellow as my secondary (which is more accurate). But yellows are followers, and I hate doing that and do my own thing. I'm not really sensitive and casual is not my thing. Although now I dress in outdoors clothes for my job, I feel much more comfortable in a suit still.

So my old employees did categorise me as a chameleon as I blended traits to suit my environment or situation. Kinda apt though, considering my current trade.

EmmaD

Forager
Feb 27, 2011
South Staffs
Why is it there isn't a box\colour that just says "IDIOT do not engage with or employ you would better spend your time and money picking peanuts out of some imported poo"? I know I would fall into this bow, but still why?

There is. That is what corporations consider the people who they cannot neatly slot into those four categorys. If you do not conform. You do not fit in. Idiots!!

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE