tom brown jr

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Ogri the trog

Mod
Mod
Apr 29, 2005
Mid Wales UK
Anyone who browses through an American Outdoors magazine will inevitably have come across advertisements for knives.

When they are from a "sole manufacturer" there will be photos of the knife "in action" accompanied by endless paragraphs of text stating the reasons why the features of this knife are the only ones that will see you through the next apocalypse.

If the advertisement is part of a knife suppliers offering, it would appear that anyone who becomes remotely famous in the U.S. is encouraged to design their own "ideal, even if it looks crazy!" knife to hoodwink the gullible & increase the profit share all along the supply line. The more weird and wonderful the profile, the more it will stand out amongst the other crazy offerings.

In either case whenever one is brought to market, the gullible flock to buy it and the process justifies the next crazy offering.

I am sure that someone practised in using the Tracker will be capable of producing reasonable quality results in whatever that tool excels in - however, I'm not sure anyone could carve a spoon or fillet a fish with it!

But each to their own.

Ogri the trog

Mar 15, 2011
on the heather
But each to their own.Ogri the trog

I’m no real fan of the knife, but as Ogri the trog said “each to their own” or (whatever floats your boat) however there are an incredible 104 pages dedicated to the TBjr Tracker knife and mini tracker under the title of TRACKER ACTION PICTURE THREAD on BushcraftUSA so like it or loath it it certainly has a big fan club over the pond.

Last edited:
Mar 15, 2011
on the heather
I still want a tom brown jr tracker.
I know it's not ideal but I want one

Go for it Man of Tanith I hope you get your TBjr tracker and prove all us sceptics wrong.
As I said the knife doesn’t really put me up nor down, beauty is in the eye of the beholder and with some stuff, well it’s just the uglier the better. I certainly don’t think it has anything to offer the “tracker”, but perhaps as a solid dependable multi-function survival tool it could be just the job for you.

Last edited:

Tristar777

Nomad
Mar 19, 2011
North Somerset UK
Hi. I think that the theory behind the Tracker knife is based on the "one tool option" ie that you can venture into the woods with only one tool and be able to do all your wood crafting with the one tool. There are many designs for this in especially the survival community, as the theory is one tool to carry will reduce weight to carry. Most woodsmen would probably go for the two or three tool option eg Nesmuck and his trio as there is more areas covered with 3 or for tools than one. I would say that one tool is a compromise which is ok if you practice a great deal with that one tool and become very skilled with it. As stated earlier, Bushcraftusa have a number of people that use the Tracker a lot and are very skilled with it. If it works for you and you can afford one then great bot before you write it off, see what people can do with it first.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE