To tent or not to tent: That is the question.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Bimble

Forager
Jul 2, 2008
Stafford, England
If I remember 'the bard' correctly,

To tent, or not to tent: that is the question:
Whether 'tis nobler in the mind to suffer
The drenching and downpour of outrageous weather,
Or to take tarps against a sea of troubles,
And by opposing end them? To try: to sleep,
Yet more; and by a sleep to say we end
the heart-ache and the thousand natural deluges.

I’ve just taken a look at the weather report for the Bushmoot, and, err...., to put it politely; it going to be a classic English (Welsh) summer garden party kind of weather.:umbrella:
Of course this begs the question, never having been to a moot before, what is considered appropriate ‘kit’ etiquette. I was going to go fairly, with it being summer an’ all, light (solo canoe trip kind of light, only in my car. You know the stuff, stick fire cooking, tarp not tent, etc.), however given what the met office have to say, and the storm we had here last night, I think I’ll take my tent, twin burner petrol stove and some extra dry clothes as well, just in case.
How light do people go to these things, is it a kitchen sink (cast iron cookware) affair or more a minimalist Zen thing?:dunno:
I await your seasoned replies.........
Despite the weather report I’m really quite excited about the weekend;
........ gee I’m a big kid.:red:

andy_e

Native
Aug 22, 2007
Scotland
Was checking this site that Wayland pointed me in the direction of ...

http://www.metcheck.com/V40/UK/FREE/7days.asp

... and it looks like it might be a little damp, but nothing to worry about.

This'll be my first BushMoot to, though I've been to one meet and co-organised another small meet-up. I'll be bringing enough to be comfortable given the forecast. I imagine some will bring the kitchen sink and most of the rest of the scullery too and others will bring little more than a mug and (if we're lucky) a change of socks. :D

spamel

Banned
Feb 15, 2005
Silkstone, Blighty!
No such thing as bad weather, just bad clothing as you well know! Besides, with a flagon of ale inside you and a communal fire to gather around to listen to tales of woe and watching some guy fall face first drunk into the flames, you'll hardly notice a bit of rain!

:D

RussT

Apr 6, 2008
London
Hope there's room to turn my 40 foot motorhome around ......
........well not quite But I will be taking a trailer load of gear:eek: cos there is six of us plus beer!
I think it being a family affair that you will see a wide selection of outdoor equipment used so whatever you take it will not be out of place. I see it as a chance to be comfortable but will blame it on the wife and kids if anyone casts aspersions on my macho bushcraftiness :lmao::lmao::theyareon

firecrest

Mar 16, 2008
uk
Yeah we're taking tents and a whole load of crap,*ahem* gear. I was going to buy a hammock but figured I might not sleep well in one and I do like my sleep. Plus babies need more rubbish than the rest of us put together. Just bring whats comfortable.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
:sigh: I can't see the living room floor for stuff to go................it's never all going to fit in the car :(

One day we really are going to have a Bushcraft camp, minimalist all the way...........but meets and moots are social things and we take everything including the kitchen sink :eek: :D
Besides, we're all taking stuff to make, show, teach using, swap with others too, aren't we ?
My excuse and I'm sticking to it :rolleyes:

See you there :)

cheers
Toddy

Tony

White bear (Admin)
Admin
Apr 16, 2003
Wales
www.bushcraftuk.com
He he, I was out packing the trailer today in between heavy showers, we've got an excuse though having to take chutes, shop/reception, tables etc.

When it comes to kit i think an event like this is about being comfortable, for some that's loads fo gear and for others it's hardly any, the focus should be on a relaxed, good time and equip yourselves to enjoy the site, the activities and the company...

Ogri the trog

Mod
Mod
Apr 29, 2005
Mid Wales UK
I recon you learn better if you are comfortable and not worried about things - therefore, if you think that a typical Welsh summers day will adversely affect your ability to take in the information that will be shared - do what you will to improve your welfare and morale. I'll be taking some of the family as well so I feel that they need to be kept reasonably warm and dry while I'm out playing in the puddles!

ATB

Ogri the trog

Rhoda

Nomad
May 2, 2004
Cornwall
www.worldwild.co.uk
Bringing loads of gear as we are bringing our little man for his first proper camping trip. Comfort is important, you don't have anything to prove! We know that we are capable of camping very light but it is unnecessary to do so at a family event where you can bring your car! By the looks of things we're going to have to strap Angie to the roof so that we can fit everything in :lmao:

Tengu

Jan 10, 2006
Wiltshire
Oh, its very informal, people turn up in anything.

I will have my tent, as normal, and my beach shelter to cook in, if needed.

Tadpole

Nov 12, 2005
Bristol
I'm taking
two tents,
two hammocks,
two tarps,
one car and three people,
The two tents because I have a two man tent that I know will survive all that the Moot can throw at it, the other tent a 4-6 birth canvas tent from the 1970s given to me on Friday, that may leak or blow down,
Two hammocks as the little one may in fact decide to join me sleeping out at night,
two tarps one to cover me, and one for the fire.
the car might be big enough to carry it all, if not (don't know what happens then as I haven't thought that far.)

Bimble

Forager
Jul 2, 2008
Stafford, England
I’m hearing encouraging things. I thought it was just me who had kit issues, comforting that I’m not alone......:grouphug: (In goes the heavy canvas hammock and the camp box then!:approve: )

I shall however take the car and not the pickup, not ‘cus I couldn’t fill it with my ‘pooh’ you understand, but because I cringe at the £80 to fill it up..... :drive: (80 quid will buy a lot of kit!)

Tony :cop: as an aside, how much hacking of the local foliage is allowed? Are we talking a bit of pruning here or wholesale deforestation? The reason I ask is ‘cus I’m planning on bringing some nicely seasoned wood for the fire. I also like to cut some small suckers to act as poles on my tarp, not a big deal for one person in a big wood, but if everyone’s doing it is it going to be a problem?:dunno:

Lastly, I am assuming that there is no potable water supply available is this correct? (If so in goes the large kettle, canvas water bucket and water jerry can as well)
Look forward to seeing you guys there, working on the escape tunnel from work at the moment, should be finished just in time......

Ahjno

Vice-Adminral
Admin
Aug 9, 2004
Rotterdam (NL)
www.bushcraftuk.com
Lastly, I am assuming that there is no potable water supply available is this correct? (If so in goes the large kettle, canvas water bucket and water jerry can as well)

The water is potable (toiletblock / showers). Asked Tony the same question a few weeks ago in a PM (as I've got to watch for any intestinal problems - health wise, doc's orders). So you can now safely remove the large kettle, water bucket and jerrycan from your kitlist and add more toys ;)

See you there!

nomade

Need to contact Admin...
Sep 8, 2004
Sutton (Surrey, UK)
Travelling by train with 2 changes in London settles the question of how much gear I can take :) : it's going to be zen minimalist. Last Moot I had too much and some my Moot friends may remember the panic of packing in time for my return train on the last day :) as they had come to help me!

This time I take the limitation of travelling by train as a good exercise in the art of packing light. We'll see how it goes...

Some of your posts mentioned camping with family and little ones: we often forget how adaptable children are. For one the very small ones have no pre-conceived ideas about how things ought or ought not to be and they are not set in their ways because everything is a first! And these "under 7 or so" just follow your lead wherever you decide to take them. Things may become more complicated with the 7+ year-olds I admit but not necessarily.

Feb 4, 2007
Skipton
Same as quite a few people here this will also be my first Bushmoot, looking forward to the experience! :) Unfortunately I made the classic mistake of meeting some friends at the pub before I started packing which now means it will be a 0100 job when I've sobered up ;-)

So, its time to make it simple...
Something to sleep on
Something to sleep under
Something to sleep in
Something to make the brews & sample rat packs culinary genius ;-)
Something to wear & spares

Other than that, I've got my boots and a smile... :)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE