To Infinity and Beyond.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
Yeah we've had some pretty high quotes for campervans.

Thanks to the guys that replied with this as an idea.

Certainly worth looking at.

Quite up for camping and motels.

Actually in fairness I kept the brief on this fairly non specific for a reason.

I'm taking the trip to change my perspective on things rather than just heading to places I think would be best.

Like I said before in no way were my comments meant to be offensive about the USA.

I've said there is some wonderful places there and no doubt you could spend the 12 months just travelling there.

The brief is to see places and organize the trip in a way that it couldn't be covered with a normal annual leave entitlement from work.

It's part of the reason Nepal - Base Camp has been added towards the end as it is doable in 3 weeks from the UK if we don't hit it this time.

LOL. Bearbait is Canadian so I doubt he took offense at any perceived slight at Americans. But don't worry, we Americans didn't take offense either (at least I didn't) It's a big world and what catches your interest today may change tomorrow.

To be perfectly honest though I think this post makes it even harder to pinpoint specific things to see in any country. You said you want to "change your perspective." Advising you would be all but impossible without knowing what that perspective is now and what you'd like to learn on the trip.

The best advise I could give would be to keep your plans more flexible and let yourself do some unplanned exploring wherever you go.

Last edited:

Will_

Nomad
Feb 21, 2013
Dorset
I thought the Southern Alps of NZ were really nice. Some great well marked routes mean you can just pack your gear and head into the wild for a week or so if you want. There's lots of stuff to see & do in NZ. I went there to travel for 6 months, but then renewed my visa waver so I could stay another 6 months, so a year in total! It's like that in loads of countries. I had 6 months in Canada & felt I'd barely scratched the surface. And 3 months in the USA didn't do it any justice at all!

Have you considered hitchhiking to explore some of these countries. I found it really easy in NZ and Canada, and it was an amazing way to meet people, and discover things that sometimes only the locals know about... It would be especially good for you wanting to change your perspective.

Nov 29, 2004
Scotland
"...Have you considered hitchhiking to explore some of these countries. I found it really easy in NZ and Canada, and it was an amazing way to meet people, and discover things that sometimes only the locals know about... It would be especially good for you wanting to change your perspective..."

+1 to this. Probably the best way to get yourself of the beaten path. :)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE