anyone tried the Steripen

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

BILLy

Apr 16, 2005
NORTH WALES
Hi All
My boy is on the travel in Dec, and some places he`ll visit are amongst others India, Phuket Thailand, Cambodia, Vietnam, Everest base camp, Kathmandu, and I’m looking for something that will ease the chance of D&V, been reading up on the steripen, does anyone have any info they could share regarding the pen? Or have a better method of sterilising the water in these countries?
Kind regards
Bill

Janne

Sent off - Not allowed to play
Feb 10, 2016
Grand Cayman, Norway, Sweden
The best way, and recommended by WHO, is to bring the water to a rolling boil for a few minutes.
UV does not kill all pathogens.

Bottled water or beer ( plus sodas) are safe, but clean the area around where the liquid pours out.

Despite being paranoid about hygiene, I aleays cought a bug in Asia and India.
I always used to carry strong antibiotics snd Immodium.

Now I do not travel there anymore.

Last edited:

Leshy

Jun 14, 2016
Wiltshire
Not associated with this company, just a happy customer.

This system works...
I drank out of streams and taps in Morocco with no problems...

http://drinksafe-systems.co.uk/

Very helpful folks with in depth knowledge of water born pathogens and chemicals...

Hope it helps

bob_the_bomb

Tenderfoot
Oct 2, 2008
Cambodia
Hi! I lived and worked in rural Cambodia, Thailand, Laos and Vietnam for 16 years. Bottled water is available EVERYWHERE. I never had a problem with the water. He will get the s@@ts anyway, from the change in diet. The biggest risk is a bug from food hygiene over there in some of the poorer areas, so the key is drink bottled water from a bottle that HE breaks the seal on and be careful what he eats. Never accept an open bottle or heated-up food

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quixoticgeek

Aug 4, 2013
Europe
Don't forget to brush teeth, wash dishes, etc... using bottled water.

If I was going on such a trip, I'd take my sawyer filter, and a party pack of oasis puri tabs. Filter and then treat. But that's me.

J

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE