First aid + kit advice for traveling the world please

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

BILLy

Apr 16, 2005
NORTH WALES
Hi all
Im after your help and advice on the above please?
I'm looking to put a good first aid kit and other bits in that will help my lad who is embarking on a round the world trip, factors to what goes in the kit will be weight and room, obviously we won't be able to put everything in for every eventuality he may happen across, so any ideas, links, previous posts, your experiences will be a great help, I have started to put a few together like life straw, plasters, paracetamol, tweezers, alcohol wipes, bandages, sterile water, magnify glass, and a few others, he will be getting jabs etc, some places he will visit are India, Cambodia, Thailand, Phuket, Nepal Everest base camp, Grand Canyon, to mention a few. Any help and advice is much appreciated
Kind regards
Bill

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Corso

Aug 13, 2007
none
I'd put in some rehydration powder, bug juice, anti D+V meds and above all get some basic 1st aid training

BILLy

Apr 16, 2005
NORTH WALES
Thanks Corso, that's a really good idea to get on a first aid trading coarse, 👍 when you say bug juice, are you referring to repellent ? I know there are probably tons to choose from, what would be in your top three?

Nomad64

Nov 21, 2015
UK
No right answer to this but +1 for the basic first aid training - the most important thing your lad can take with him is a basic understanding of how to avoid and treat the basic traveller's issues like; dehydration, heat exhaustion, altitude sickness, diarrhoea, skin conditions, bites and stings and of course malaria.

Although counterfeit drugs are an issue, you will be surprised how good pharmacies will be in third world countries so replacements will be available.

Rehydration powder is great but at least as important is to understand how to improvise your own from sugar and salt (or soft drinks) - you can get key fobs with scoops with the correct ratios (5:1?).

Anti-histamine/hydrocortisone creams are worth taking for skin conditions.

An appropriate anti-malarial regime (unless he has tried larium and is OK with it - avoid) is essential and a back-up treatment shot of whatever is currently recommended for those areas.

Other than that, he won't go to far wrong with the kind of first aid kit that he would take on a DofE expedition in the UK.

Good advice available from Nomad Travel

http://www.nomadtravel.co.uk/pg/140/Travel-Clinic

and if money/time is no object, WMT do very comprehensive courses.

http://wildernessmedicaltraining.co.uk

On a related subject, it is worth giving some serious thought to insurance, make sure you/he understands what is and is not covered (some activities may be excluded from some policies - scuba diving, mountaineering above prescribed altitude, driving, motorcycles etc) and how the policy works.

Sounds like a great trip! :)

BILLy

Apr 16, 2005
NORTH WALES
No right answer to this but +1 for the basic first aid training - the most important thing your lad can take with him is a basic understanding of how to avoid and treat the basic traveller's issues like; dehydration, heat exhaustion, altitude sickness, diarrhoea, skin conditions, bites and stings and of course malaria.

Although counterfeit drugs are an issue, you will be surprised how good pharmacies will be in third world countries so replacements will be available.

Rehydration powder is great but at least as important is to understand how to improvise your own from sugar and salt (or soft drinks) - you can get key fobs with scoops with the correct ratios (5:1?).

Anti-histamine/hydrocortisone creams are worth taking for skin conditions.

An appropriate anti-malarial regime (unless he has tried larium and is OK with it - avoid) is essential and a back-up treatment shot of whatever is currently recommended for those areas.

Other than that, he won't go to far wrong with the kind of first aid kit that he would take on a DofE expedition in the UK.

Good advice available from Nomad Travel

http://www.nomadtravel.co.uk/pg/140/Travel-Clinic

and if money/time is no object, WMT do very comprehensive courses.

http://wildernessmedicaltraining.co.uk

On a related subject, it is worth giving some serious thought to insurance, make sure you/he understands what is and is not covered (some activities may be excluded from some policies - scuba diving, mountaineering above prescribed altitude, driving, motorcycles etc) and how the policy works.

Sounds like a great trip! :)

Wow!! That's excellent info, thanks very much in deed👍👍

Dave

Hill Dweller
Sep 17, 2003
Brigantia
I think I'd get him a travellers door lock, which locks any door from the inside. And have emergency numbers of any country i was staying in on speed dial. Such is the state of the world today. Apologies if that sounds a bit paranoid...Hope he has a great time.

Last edited:

BILLy

Apr 16, 2005
NORTH WALES
Blimey!! It does make us think tbf but what can ya do, I might wrap him in cotton wool before he goes 😂😂😂 👍

brambles

Settler
Apr 26, 2012
Aberdeenshire
Double check that the contents of FAK are allowed into each country, some over the counter UK medicines are illegal to take into some countries , embassies should have lists of proscribed items

janso

Dec 31, 2012
Penwith, Cornwall
+1 for the above! My contribution - sun cream, lip salve, foot powder/ talc. I'd definitely recommend a water filter or fill n go type. Even foreign tap water is drinkable then. Is it too much to recommend a hepatitis c course of jabs? Off the top of my head, your gp surgery can do this for around £120.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Dec 6, 2013
N.E.Lincs.
Whitley Bay would be a damn site less trouble.....First aid kit from the £ shop, no need to mess about with sun screen, only a few inoculations, they serve half decent chips on the sea front and even speak a language similar to English.

D.B.

BILLy

Apr 16, 2005
NORTH WALES
There are some really good and to the bone replies, they all help no mater the content, I can pick a lot out of them, joking aside as a parent the dangerous side of travelling is worrying, we can only advise they don't put themselves in situations that could attract the wrong attention. Very helpful thx all

Dec 6, 2013
N.E.Lincs.
Bottom line is you've done as much as you can and have to hope and trust that whatever stupid things he will do are not so stupid that they get him into trouble, what a brilliant adventure and something he will remember all his life, common sense and a lot of planning and I'm sure he'll be fine.

D.B.

some sources recommend carrying syringes and needles when travelling countries with low health standard in case you need "" a shot""-- its obviously not unheard of that syringes get used for more then one person which is a nasty way to catch "" unwanted souvenirs"......
( the downside of this idea is that you might get mistaken for a junkie)

I carried two syringes in my kit for years but only time I used one was to feed a kitten:rolleyes:

Buckshot

Mod
Mod
Jan 19, 2004
Oxford
Don't bother taking anything you don't know how to use. The only exception to that is a sterile kit as mentioned above. You van source these online if needed
Definitely suggest a first aid course

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE