To Bergen or not to Bergen

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Cold&wet

May 16, 2013
Hertfordshire
Ah, so you know the ground and weather reasonably* well. Do you know what size panniers the bikes come with? Might seem like a daft question, but if you do fill a 120L bergan and have 60L of pannier space ... :eek: Can you pick up supplies as you go or do you need to carry everything from day one? (Genuine question, I don't know Arran at all :eek: but if you can organise fresh supplies it'll ease your burden) Another daft question ... Do you usually use a cycle?

* Within which the unspecific bounds with which the four seasons are very loosely bound :eek: .

we will have 30L of pannier space once we get there, and resupply is fairly intermittant but ive worked out that at our longest strech we will need to carry 3 days worth of supplys but i know fresh water is avilable throught the whole trip. I cycle everyday 12miles to and from work, but this is the first trip of this nature i have done :p

decorum

May 2, 2007
Warwickshire
we will have 30L of pannier space once we get there,

That's not much space ... If you do get a mahoosive bergan have you got somewhere to securely stow it ~ I'm not too sure how feasible it would be to strap it to the rear carrier ... :dunno:

and resupply is fairly intermittant but ive worked out that at our longest strech we will need to carry 3 days worth of supplys but i know fresh water is avilable throught the whole trip.

Do you have you access to a dehydrator? It would reduce the volume and weight of what you carry and, as you say, water will be reasonably easy to source :cool: .

I cycle everyday 12miles to and from work, but this is the first trip of this nature i have done :p

You're an old hand then. We get a fair few who join the forum, post a basic 'I'm going to do a weeks expedition ... Advice please' type thread. And then it emerges that, other than a day hike 20 years ago, they have no experience of hiking and their planned exped will see them walking 30 or 40 miles a day ... (Hence all my bone questions :eek: )

Cold&wet

May 16, 2013
Hertfordshire
That's not much space ... If you do get a mahoosive bergan have you got somewhere to securely stow it ~ I'm not too sure how feasible it would be to strap it to the rear carrier ... :dunno: )

I think it will have to spend a reasonable amount of time on my back, if it can be attached to the bike it will probably involve a lot of paracord and bunjees, a bit of a make do and mend job:thinkerg:

Do you have you access to a dehydrator? It would reduce the volume and weight of what you carry and, as you say, water will be reasonably easy to source :cool: .)

i dont have a dehydrator, i think im aiming for boil in the bag food, oats, and ill put together somekind of fruit and nut mix for on the go

You're an old hand then. We get a fair few who join the forum, post a basic 'I'm going to do a weeks expedition ... Advice please' type thread. And then it emerges that, other than a day hike 20 years ago, they have no experience of hiking and their planned exped will see them walking 30 or 40 miles a day ... (Hence all my bone questions :eek: )
yeah i think the acctual distance and terrain we will be cycleing isnt too far from what i have done and should be within reach of my abilty
I appreciate the bone questions, i seem to be finding out i acctualy know more than i thought i did, :thanks:

decorum

May 2, 2007
Warwickshire
I think it will have to spend a reasonable amount of time on my back, if it can be attached to the bike it will probably involve a lot of paracord and bunjees, a bit of a make do and mend job:thinkerg:

I really would try to find an alternate to carrying a big pack on your back ... As well as being a wind catcher and raising your centre of gravity, it'll do it's utmost to follow the laws of physics by trying to continue on a straight line as you go into each bend :yikes: :stretcher::crutch:

i dont have a dehydrator, i think im aiming for boil in the bag food, oats, and ill put together somekind of fruit and nut mix for on the go

If you cook at home I'd look at dehydrators ~ It could be cheaper than the cost of the boil in the bag meals and dried fruit (I think mine cost me £35 plus P&P). Takes up a lot less space and weighs next to nothing too :approve: . Have a look at Babelfish5's Channel on YouTube ~ Link.

Have you decided on what stove and fuel type you'll use?

mountainm

Bushcrafter through and through
Jan 12, 2011
Selby
www.mikemountain.co.uk

Cold&wet

May 16, 2013
Hertfordshire
I really would try to find an alternate to carrying a big pack on your back ... As well as being a wind catcher and raising your centre of gravity, it'll do it's utmost to follow the laws of physics by trying to continue on a straight line as you go into each bend :yikes: :stretcher::crutch:
good point, no point loading it all up if im only going to get hurt becasue of it.

Have you decided on what stove and fuel type you'll use?
the person im going with is bringing the stove so im not sure what spesific model it is, but i belived its a Hexy burner

spandit

Jul 6, 2011
East Sussex, UK
I wish I'd never bought mine - they're designed to be worn over webbing so sit very high - this would make it awkward to wear if you're cycling. They're tough but heavy as a result but the back system isn't great (i.e. not very comfortable), the main compartment is surprisingly narrow (I have the long back version) and with the rocket pouches on, they're very cumbersome.

Kepis has a similarly sized pack - a Karrimor one, I think, that looks way better. More expensive, mind - the PLCE ones are good value second-hand (I bought mine new :O)

mountainm

Jan 12, 2011
Selby
www.mikemountain.co.uk
I wish I'd never bought mine - they're designed to be worn over webbing so sit very high - this would make it awkward to wear if you're cycling. They're tough but heavy as a result but the back system isn't great (i.e. not very comfortable), the main compartment is surprisingly narrow (I have the long back version) and with the rocket pouches on, they're very cumbersome.

Kepis has a similarly sized pack - a Karrimor one, I think, that looks way better. More expensive, mind - the PLCE ones are good value second-hand (I bought mine new :O)

I bought mine (also a long back) second hand and had it full to the brim the other week with spare winter bedding options. To be honest I found it comfortable, but there aren't many adjustment options so I may just be lucky it fits. The only addition I'd make to mine is a chest strap.

Jackdaw

PLCE Bergens are pretty bombproof and, as has already been said, you can pick one up for very little money.

However, if you buy a 120lt pack you are going to fill it up. We have a saying in the military: Go small; pack light!

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
PLCE Bergens are pretty bombproof and, as has already been said, you can pick one up for very little money.

However, if you buy a 120lt pack you are going to fill it up. We have a saying in the military: Go small; pack light!

Nope you won't if you have a little self control.

rg598

Native
If you are planning on spending money on a first pack, I would go with civilian models. A 65L pack will fit everything, including winter gear. Look at something like the Osprey Atmos 65.

If you are going on a bike riding trip, Google bikepacking. You will get a lot of info on what you need. There are some different considerations from backpacking.

Hypnagog

Nov 12, 2012
Essex
hotchpotchblog.wordpress.com
I've just got back from an overnight trip with my Snugpak Bergen.

It's served me well over the year that I've had it, but I do tend to cram it full of stuff - it's far too tempting with all that space.

I've got in, unpacked and cleaned my kit then set about eliminating my "Just in case" or "What if" kit, then I tried to repack my kit into another rucksack of a slightly smaller size (Vango Freedom 80+20) and it was chaos.

I've gone back to the Bergen because I like my packing system with that. In the night I can reach into the right compartment and grab what I need without a head-torch.

Now I've just got to be disciplined about what I put in it.

Duggie Bravo

Settler
Jul 27, 2013
Dewsbury
I have had my crusader for close to 25 years, used it both with and without webbing 58 pattern and whatever it was that came next.
I had to adjust the internal frame - nothing technical just bent it - I always found that far more comfortable than the 95 patter one that was designed to be worn with it without webbing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE