To Bergen or not to Bergen

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Cold&wet

May 16, 2013
Hertfordshire
Hi all, this is my first post so bare with me.

im just starting out in bushcraft and havent really got any experiance (hopefully soon to be fixed)

as i have a trip coming up im looking into buying my first acctual pack and have read good things in the forums about the british army 120L PLCE bergen but im worried ill abuse that 120L and carry lots of extra kit i dont really need. so ive also looked at the Highlander forces packs as a friend recomended them.

there are so many sizes and styles and im totaly overloaded with choices, HELP!?!?

widu13

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 9, 2008
Ubique Quo Fas Et Gloria Ducunt
I wouldn't want to walk anywhere with a 120 ltr bergan unless it was filled with feathers. However they are great from car to camp short distances and for use in winter when an issue doss bag takes up half of the room alone.

If you are going walking with the kit, I wouldn't get anything bigger than the NRT 66 (which are good bags for the money).

http://survivalaids.com/order1.php?pg=3756

Last edited:

Johnnyboy1971

Dec 24, 2010
Yorkshire
Being realistic how big do you need to go. Some people find 45ltr plenty for a weekend where others need bigger for the kit they carry.
How much do you want to spend and do you want a military style pack.

Sent from my HTC Desire S using Tapatalk 2

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
The Bergen is a great pack and you don't have to attatch the side pockets which cuts down the size. The basic pack with the side straps used is by no means a massive pack making it an ideal pack for you, go get one. As for comfort, well they ain't bad at all, a lot of the army lads have memories of hiking with a 50kg Bergen and moan but that won't happen to you.

http://www.britishmilitarysurplus.co.uk/ishop/1069/shopscr87.html £25 for the pack but no side pockets which you can get later.

Cold&wet

May 16, 2013
Hertfordshire
thanks for the tips guys, some really good advice, im hopeing the pack i buy will last a while and serve for a few journys so something fairly adaptable is what im aiming for hence the PLCE bergen at the moment im borrowing a friends highlander forces 66L just to put some gear in and give it a try walking and cycleing

resnikov

I use a Lowe Alpine sting which is 45lt plus 20lt as it has detachable side pockets.
I find that this is plenty big enough for a night out in the woods. Plus I can also walk the mile or so to my woods with it on my back with out killing me.

There are a couple of good threads on here about kit and load outs. Lay all your kit out that you want to take with you and then go through it all and see if you think you have any extras you don't need.

Cold&wet

May 16, 2013
Hertfordshire
this is sort of the issue im haveing i dont know ecsactly how much ill need as its my first trip and the person im going with has done DofE which is proving to be worce than useless so im kind of going on a wing and a prayer at the moment, just takeing the things i think ill need and getting as much advice from the forums as i can, this particular trip is 6nights cycleing and wild camping

widu13

Feb 9, 2008
Ubique Quo Fas Et Gloria Ducunt
Don't take "what if" items. You wear the same clothes every day and wash (or don't- your choice), spare clothes are used for sleeping in. 2 x prs socks and underpants, emergency kit, don't carry loads of water, 1 or 2 ltrs will do and you can top up as you go. (This isn't an entire kit list BTW :rolleyes:)

Bucephalas

Jan 19, 2012
Chepstow, Wales
I have the Snugpak 100 ltr Bergen with 70 ltr main compartment and two 15 ltr detachable side pockets.
As mentioned, it's useful in winter when bulk of winter bags and under quilt is needed and plenty big enough in summer with side pockets removed.
For most werkends out I use a 45ltr so you may find somewhere in between a safe bet.

Cold&wet

May 16, 2013
Hertfordshire
Don't take "what if" items. You wear the same clothes every day and wash (or don't- your choice), spare clothes are used for sleeping in. 2 x prs socks and underpants, emergency kit, don't carry loads of water, 1 or 2 ltrs will do and you can top up as you go. (This isn't an entire kit list BTW :rolleyes:)

thanks for the advice that will really help having a basic kit to aim for.
really pleased i decided to join the bushcraft comunity this kind of helpful responce to a first post is really great thanks guys

Cold&wet

May 16, 2013
Hertfordshire
So not walking? Cycling with a pack on your back massively alters your centre of gravity as well as increasing your drag ~ I'd look at panniers or a trailer as they'd be a better and safer choice.

we are renting bikes on location and they come with panniers but flying, train, ferry before we get to the bikes and the possiblity of a one day hike mean the kit has to fit in the pack. on top of that im hopeing to do more bushcraft related things so the pack will get future use as well

decorum

May 2, 2007
Warwickshire
we are renting bikes on location and they come with panniers but flying, train, ferry before we get to the bikes and the possiblity of a one day hike mean the kit has to fit in the pack.

Ah, now we're getting a better picture of what you need :D Hot or cold? Surplus bergans aren't built to allow easy ventilation, you'll get a sweaty back whichever way you go :( . If you're going to be in nice places meeting nice people then additional spare changes can provide more opportunities (locals might not want to spend time with smelly strangers ;) ). It might not suit your situation but, if it's a one day hike with more back home at a later date, might it be more useful to source a large holdall and 50L (or so) pack? Travel with the pack at the bottom of your holdall and it's out of the way until you need it.

Cold&wet

May 16, 2013
Hertfordshire
Ah, now we're getting a better picture of what you need :D Hot or cold?.

Well its in July so hopefully warm (very hopefully) but its the isle of Arran in scotland so cold, from pervious (not camping) trips there at that time of year its temperate, still happyer with a jumper on but not hat and gloves weather.

decorum

May 2, 2007
Warwickshire
Well its in July so hopefully warm (very hopefully) but its the isle of Arran in scotland so cold, from pervious (not camping) trips there at that time of year its temperate, still happyer with a jumper on but not hat and gloves weather.

Ah, so you know the ground and weather reasonably* well. Do you know what size panniers the bikes come with? Might seem like a daft question, but if you do fill a 120L bergan and have 60L of pannier space ... :eek: Can you pick up supplies as you go or do you need to carry everything from day one? (Genuine question, I don't know Arran at all :eek: but if you can organise fresh supplies it'll ease your burden) Another daft question ... Do you usually use a cycle?

* Within which the unspecific bounds with which the four seasons are very loosely bound :eek: .

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
Crickey -- how much stuff do some folk take on a night out. I normally manage a 3 night trip winter with a 55l sack i and that has winter climbing gear in as well.

Have a look at normal "civilian packs"

I suppose it all depends. When I was young and healthy about all I needed was food and water in Summer. Maybe a blanket or sleeping bag in Winter.

Now-a-days my meds and diabetic test kit takes up a good bit of room. Not to mention that some of the meds have to be iced.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE