Tired of epoxy glue

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Tengu

Jan 10, 2006
Wiltshire
Im no good at getting quantities right for mixing, hence having to clean off and start again.

is there an alternative that doesnt need to be mixed?

You can buy epoxy that co-dispenses from two syringes so there is always a perfect mix. The other thing to be aware of is to not try to dispense small amounts - the smaller the amount the greater the error will be. If you are having to scrape off and reapply then just dispense a good load in the first place - it will be easier to get right and you will probably only use the same amount as if you had needed to redo several times.

brancho

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 20, 2007
Whitehaven Cumbria
Evo stick impact adhesive will not substitute for epoxy. I have heard of no other options over on BB. If you use two tubes squeeze out a line from each tube of the same length and thicknes sisde by side before mixing on you board or whatever you use.
Try mixing for at least a minute before use as well as the tips already said.
Alf

sharp88

Settler
Aug 18, 2006
Kent
I dislike the smell of it really and its hard to wash off when one of the components gets on your fingers. I dont think anything really beats it. Its just a necessary evil.

thedude

Mar 2, 2005
Exeter / IOW UK
What epoxy are you having trouble with?

Using 2-ton (which you may have read before is my favourite for oh so many reasons) I have never had any troubles. Get some little scales from ebay and measure it by weight before mixing, it is alot easier than guessing volumes.

C_Claycomb

Moderator staff
Mod
Oct 6, 2003
Bedfordshire
It depends on what you are trying to glue. For some stuff, there are other glues that work as well, but for others, there is no substitute. All glues have requirements for getting a good bond, there is very little in the way of free lunch. Things like Zap-A-Dap-A-Goo are very good at bonding leather and are quite strong and easy to apply, if rather messy, but they aren't a substitute for epoxy.

Not all epoxy should be weighed, some really is meant to be done by volume and the twin dispenser types do an okay job, but not really precise. You still need to watch how to go. The runnier glues are a little easier to meter out, just run a bead of a given length for both, then mix. The thicher ones are harder since they kind of come out of the tube in a blodge. Not sure how to remedy things if you have trouble judging the relative size of two blodges. Laying down a larger quantity than you need, over a measured length, might still work.

May 12, 2007
Derby, UK
www.berax.co.uk

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE