Tips on what to do with this plane iron?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Tjurved

Nomad
Mar 13, 2009
Sweden
Hello found this plane and planeiron today at a flea market for 10 Swedish kronor. I don't think I gonna use the plane that much but perhaps the plane iron could be used for some sort of woodworking stuff with a handle on it? Any ideas or tips for what to do with it? The steel looks quite good. And why do the plane and iron have that shape? What was it used for? The iron is 7.8 cm wide (3").

Retired Member southey

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jun 4, 2006
your house!
Hi Tjurved, I don't know anything of the history of such a tool, but looking at the blade, I wounder if you could set it into a handle to make a kind of hand axe for shaping, by shaping a handle with a slot that the tang like bit of metal could pass thriough the drill a hole so as to fit a peg to hold the blade in place, almost like a collapsable carving axe for lighter duties. nice looking piece of kit though.

Tjurved

Nomad
Mar 13, 2009
Sweden
Did this thing with it, had a problem with the peg so I just bent the iron. Guess I will be confusing future archaeologists with this one...

Retired Member southey

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jun 4, 2006
your house!
Hey thats pretty cool! I think I would have set it a bit further back into the handle mabey? have you used it on anything yet you'll have to let us know how it gets on. I like the idea of confusing archaeo's, I used to grind random shapes like breasts and other anatomical items out of metal at school then leave them around stonehenge and the local tracks(my back garden used to look out onto it), good fun.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE