tin foil to use as pot to boil water

malente

Life member
Jan 14, 2007
Germany
Does it work?

I've yet to try it out.

I'm thinking that one could use copper wire to make a pot structure (weave or more primitive) and then cover it with tin foil (from the inside, so that the water would effectively hold it in place). It should be watertight and resistant to heat, no?

Would the copper melt or the tin foil warp (I think the aluminium melts at over 2000 degrees or something, so I would stick to smaller fires ;) )?

Also, would there be any problems with the copper or tinfoil emitting nasty stuff into the water or would it be safe to drink afterwards?

I had a search but could find nothing. Cheers for any pointers or replies. Pics very welcome, I like to visualise things :D

Mike

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
I tried it once with general household tin foil, the first burn went okay but after that the foil became very fragile and broke up when I refilled it. I only tried it with two layers but maybe multile layers would work better.

I'd be interested to hear how you get on

jimford

Settler
Mar 19, 2009
Hertfordshire
I tried it once with general household tin foil, the first burn went okay but after that the foil became very fragile and broke up when I refilled it. I only tried it with two layers but maybe multile layers would work better.

I think the foil (aluminium) gets fragile because it oxidises.

I also think two layers may not work any better. There will inevitably be an air gap between the layers, which will insulate the outer layer from the cooling influence of the water, allowing it to reach melting point temperatures.

Jim

Calculon

Tenderfoot
Jul 17, 2008
Old South Wales
Chinese take away type tubs from Asda work ok. I use them filled with beer or water in my kettle barbecue & that gets really hot, One lasts me ages
They fold up & are very light too.

Calc

potboiler

Jan 20, 2009
Dorset
Calculon - I've got to ask....

Do I understand that you're heating beer? Does that make it better? (I'd love to know if I'm missing some sophisticated cocktail)

Calculon

Tenderfoot
Jul 17, 2008
Old South Wales
Calculon - I've got to ask....

Do I understand that you're heating beer? Does that make it better? (I'd love to know if I'm missing some sophisticated cocktail)

Hi PB, We use it to flavour the meat & keep it moist, some people use cider, wine or even whisky mixed with water. Keep the tray in the cooler area of the BBQ & close the lid.

Calc

malente

Life member
Jan 14, 2007
Germany
Great info, didn't know that either. Gotta try that... So no prob potboiler.

So what are alternatives, given that tin foil is no good for boiling water?

Bushwhacker

Banned
Jun 26, 2008
Dorset
You can boil water in a plastice drinks bottle.
It has to filled right to brim with the cap on tightly so there's no air space.

I'm just not too sure if any chemicals from the plastic get into the water though.

smoggy

Forager
Mar 24, 2009
North East England
Tin foil works but your are looking at a one shot item.......

The question is, having boiled your water, what are you going to do with it, make tea? then why not just use a metal mug and boil the water in that?

Smoggy.

malente

Life member
Jan 14, 2007
Germany
Tin foil works but your are looking at a one shot item.......

The question is, having boiled your water, what are you going to do with it, make tea? then why not just use a metal mug and boil the water in that?

Smoggy.

Hi Smoggy.

It's a survival type question. For normal camping/ bushcrafting use, I have my titanium pot & mug anyway.

In list for PSKs (Personal Survival Kits) there's sometimes tin foil included, and I try to ascertain the different uses.

One potential use is to use it to make a pot. Here, it would just make the water safer to drink or food stuffs like insects or fish or meat safer to eat (kill pathogens). I guess that's why many PSKs come in tins (like tobacco tins) that can be used to boil/ cook. I might scrap the tin foil then. Though I could still make a tin foil hat :D

Mike

May 7, 2008
Newmarket
Does this not result in the bottle rupturing when it does eventually boil?

You can boil water in a plastice drinks bottle.
It has to filled right to brim with the cap on tightly so there's no air space.

I'm just not too sure if any chemicals from the plastic get into the water though.

javi

Forager
Nov 4, 2008
Hampton
Good old Bear Grylls was doing this on the telly the other night! He had the bottle suspended over the fire and kept it swinging gently so it didn't get the direct heat and it seemed to be OK. He did mention the noxious chemicals bit, but suggested this was true 'survival' technique and not the sort of thing one would normally do. I must say it's not the sort of thing I'd fancy doing...

Minotaur

Native
Apr 27, 2005
Birmingham
Thing to watch is make sure you get aluminium foil.

Just because they call it that does not make it so.

One of the big problems we had trying to cook a fish once was the foil, only two of us attually had metal foil.

8thsinner

Nomad
Dec 12, 2005
London
I have not tried this, but heres another suggestion.
Somewhere online there is a place selling extremely thin sheets of titanium for the initial use of cooker making, if these are thin enough to fold and you buy something large enough, I don't see why you cant keep a roll of it and fold in like a birch bark pot, pin it with pegs,and create a very solid pot with more than a one time use.

For something more space saving, some places now are selling the special crush able rubber bowls which can be used to boil water right on over the coals.

dwardo

Bushcrafter through and through
Aug 30, 2006
Nr Chester
I would imagine hot rocks placed into a makeshift foil container should work. I have also heard about boiling water in a plastic bottle and i can imagine Bear doing it but i personally wouldnt want to risk it blowing up.

Nov 29, 2004
Scotland
I think that being aware that one 'can' use tin foil to boil water is useful info. However if a person is going to put together a survival kit and carry one around then a proper can is such a useful and multipurpose item that it would be daft to rely on tin foil to do the job.

An old coffee tin or baby food can makes a good container for your 'kit' and will be a godsend if you find yourself lost in the wilderness for a bit. :D

malente

Life member
Jan 14, 2007
Germany
Cheers sandbender, I agree. I'm gonna see if I can find a suitable container...

I'll post an update when I get round to taking pictures.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE