Timely T3 hat

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Paul_B

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
Tilly T3/5 hats - not timely!

This is the one with smaller brim which can be folded up with poppers. Is it any good? can only find it in cotton duck but know it comes in a nylon too I believe. How wide does the brim feel?

what does the cotton duck fabric feel like? I'm into technical fabrics synthetic too so worried that the cotton will feel horrible if you sweat into it. I could get a T5 in nylon but that's a wider brim without the poppers. I like the idea of folding sides up. also not sure if t5 brim is too wide. I'm not sure if I suit wide brims but the t3 looks OK and think it slopes front and back more and the folded sides suit me more.

Can anyone tell me how the cotton feels compared to nylon and how much wider the T5 is?

Harvestman

May 11, 2007
Pontypool, Wales, Uk
I have a T3. The brim fold up securely. I prefer the cotton to the synthetic stuff. Yes, it does get a bit sweaty sometimes, but it is tough, water resistant, and the brim is wide enough to keep the sun out of your eyes, and the rain off your face. The brim is firm and doesn't flop about either.

I love my T3 and I literally will not leave home without it.

Nov 29, 2004
Scotland
I have had a couple of T3s, I always manage to lose them. They are very comfy, even in hot environments, I would definitely choose the cotton if I was buying another.

maddave

Jan 2, 2004
Manchester UK
I have two of the cotton ones... You won't find a better hat in my opinion for temperate regions and desert... Not so good in the arctic though :D

Paul_B

Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
I'm usually a cap wearer but feel ready/old enough to wear a brimmed hat now. I like the idea that it covers my face, neck and ears better than caps. I hate sun lotion on the face as it goes onto my glasses if I sweat. a Tilley means I don't need it.

I've got a cheap wide brimmed hat from gellert I think. poly cotton fabric that gets wet and horrible on the head band. I worry that I'll spend £59 on a cotton Tilley only to get the same horrible, wet head band.

The T5 is available in nylon with more variations. how does it compare? No poppers for folding and wider, but does it look the same as a T3? which styles have that sloping downwards brim at the front and back? I can't tell from website photos.

maddave

Jan 2, 2004
Manchester UK
In a downpour the headband gets damp... The cotton swells though into a tighter weave and it doesn't get soaking wet....

belzeebob23

Settler
Jun 7, 2009
glasgow
Hi Paul
Having been a T3 wearer for too many years to remember and worn out a few (which Tilly have replaced)
I can't knock the T3 well I can now they have different styles.
Yes you do get the wet headband feel from sweating or in the rain but I have never felt this as a problem as I have not yet found a hat that dosen't have this problem.
As Mad Dave and Haverster said great hats.
The T3 is a straight brimmed hat (brim 2.5" front and back 2.25" side approx)
I aslo have a LT5B synthetic which is a lot lighter in weight and is more shaped front to back with the brim narrower on the sides.(2.5" front, back and 2" sides) which dose give it a better shape.
It dose have the same problem as the T3 with sweaty headband feel but less so as it is synthetic dry's quicker so less of an issue than the T3.
I also find that the brims on the cotton compared to the synthetic are stiffer.
If I had the choice today it would be the T5 as I personaly prefer the shape of the T5 to the T3 now and would go for cotten rather than synthetic.

Bob

treadlightly

Jan 29, 2007
Powys
I don't have any experience of the t5 but can echo waht's been said about the t3. The cotton duck is very versatile and deals well with heat and rain. There is a toweeling-type inner headband that makes it pretty comfortable when wet.

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
I love my Tilleys. Great hats and have the following (though why I need more than one everlasting hat!?)

• TH4 Hemp Hat
  • TW2 Tilley Harris Tweed Winter Hat
  • T4 Cotton Duck Hat x2

Of them all I like the TH4 Hemp the best. Light and airy though maybe not as waterproof out of the box as the others. But I TX-Direct all my hats anyway. Nice brim that's not to stiff at the back for when you look up. Good all year 'round.

TW2 Winter tweed, have this in the same green as my Swanndri jacket and in the winter it is toasty - even when I've shaved my head, has ear cosy's though I don't like the forehead protector so it stays tucked up out of the way.

T4 Cotton Duck. Classic hat, feels comfy all the time, have worn in desert and snow. Swells to stay dry like ventile, though as said I spray anyway. Don't really find the sweatband thing a problem.

I know my mate Belzeebob likes the synthetic, but I find it A) doesn't suit me - it looks too neat B) I just don't like a lot of synthetic fabrics C)if you use DEET it'll kill your hat.

ATB,
GB.

Paul_B

Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
Got a T5 in the end, the organic cotton. never buy organic food as it's often a con but got it in a hat. tbh it was the only T5 version in a colour I could put up with. Airflow too. It doesn't look too bad really. Wore it all weekend and was glad of it too.

Soundmixer

Forager
Mar 9, 2011
Angus, Scotland
Just to echo what the others have said, I just love my T3.
It started dark green and has faded to a lovely light greenish grey. I have worn it everywhere in the nineteen years that I have had it, the tropics, Scandinavia, all my fishing trips, horse riding in Spain and the US of A, and this weekend at the beach. It's been soaked, sun baked, snowed on (my merino beannie fits under it!) and is one of my best old pals.
I worked in a tackle shop when Tilley first hit the UK so it is possible that I have one of the first ones in the UK as the rep was doing the rounds promoting the new wonder hats. I was sceptical at first, but not any more!

jandude

Jan 11, 2013
Cambs
Got my T5 nylon in Canada 20 years ago and it's still going strong. Am still ded chuffed with it.

I know I'm used to the wide brim but I do think the T3 therefore looks too narrow in the brim!

Btw I remember well that when I was trying the different models for fit, the T3 was too short for my head - my scalp was pushing the crown of the hat up and it showed in the mirror. The T5, on the other hand, fits me perfectly. Might be worth trying the various models to see what fits best.

As has been said, the brim curves from front to back. When wearing the T5 it can be worn low over the eyes or tilted back a bit to keep the brim high.

I have worn mine from sea to summit and most places between. It's the most comfy and versatile hat I've ever had. The headband doesn't sweat too badly although I do get a bit damp. But a quick doff of the hat and wipe of the forehead is all it takes to be comfy again.

I also waterproof mine with a spray on - think it was the scotch guard stuff but haven't redone it for years.

When it gets really, really grubby it goes in the washing machine or a hot bowl of water and washing powder and its good as new again.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE