Time to retire an old companion

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Mesquite

It is what it is.
Mar 5, 2008
~Hemel Hempstead~
Sadly it's come to the time when my Tilley TH4 hat has to be retired :puppy_dog

It's done me proud for 8 years of heavy usage but the brim had worn thin and the last round in the washing machine was too much and it grew big holes in it. With 8 years wear I can't complain and it will be retired to the top shelf to gather dust with other momentos :)

Luckily Tilley Endurables offer a life time guarantee on all their hats so I sent off my old faithful and it's replacement arrived today :cool:

What a difference in colour and feel, it looks almost too good to wear out. I'm actually wondering if I'd get away with wearing it at Sam's wedding :lmao:

Just a couple pictures to show you the difference.

Old faithful

The new replacement :)

And a together shot showing just how much it was bleached over time.

Mesquite

It is what it is.
Mar 5, 2008
~Hemel Hempstead~
Peg bait!!!!

Muhhahahahahaa!

Cool they let you keep the original too. Mine got its first adventure in the washing machine the other day, the brass has gone green! I plan on wearing my pith helmet at work next week, told it's going to get warm soon... apparently.

The old one was peg bait as well. Best count I got up to was about 15 or 16 on it because I left them there so people could come back and collect them ;)

Yeah, they send the old one back if you ask them to :)

SCOMAN

Life Member
Dec 31, 2005
Perthshire
I'm heading to Vancouver on Mon and seen they have a Tilley shop, with the good exchange rate I was thinking of investing. Are they as good as they say?

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
I'm heading to Vancouver on Mon and seen they have a Tilley shop, with the good exchange rate I was thinking of investing. Are they as good as they say?

I'd say so. I have 4 @ present; 2 different coloured cotton ones and my favourite hemp one. Also have a tweed winter one. Great in all weathers & look good too - my girlfriend doesn't like them on her but thinks (well says) I look good im them.
Hard wearing, good place to hide money/docs when traveling and you get a knowing nod from other members when you meet. :D also one of the best garantees out there.
Not cheap but it's a hat you can leave in your will so.excellent value.

Sent via smoke-signal from a woodland in Scotland.

bigbear

May 1, 2008
Yorkshire
Yup, love them, have two now as my wife said the old one was looking scruffy, to me it's just getting worn in, but best not to argue so had to buy a new one for best.
Great kit.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE