Tilley x246b vs Tilley Guardsman vs classic Vapalux

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Aug 31, 2022
UK
I need some practical insight, in what ways are the more expensive Vapalux and restored Guardsman lamps better than the modern x246b-s? E.g does the aluminum pump wear out faster, etc? Light output, efficiency would also be interesting.

Last edited:

Limaed

Apr 11, 2006
Perth
I’ve a variety of lanterns including a Vapalux, Tilley and Veritas (I used to have a Bialladin too before it died) as well as a couple of Coleman’s. IMO the Paraffin lamps have much the same light output and I’ve not noticed (having owned them all a number of years and all bought second hand) any difference in wear / efficiency. In my mind the basic mechanics are similar regardless of manufacturer so I feel it comes down to aesthetics. The Tilley’s must have been produced in vast quantities as I see them regularly (in various states!) at the local carboot sale. I think the price is dictated by availability not function. Second hand Tilley’s are often missing the preheater whereas the other brands it’s sometimes incorporated which is a better feature. I’ve a couple of petrol Coleman’s which are the brightest (almost too bright at full power) and they are less work to ignite without the preheat requirement.

Reactions: Oaktree83
Aug 31, 2022
UK
Thank you! Indeed, price is a complex product of material value, availability and practicality. I am definitely staying away from petrol units for safety reasons.

Zingmo

Eardstapa
Jan 4, 2010
S. Staffs
I have a Vaporlux. One difference is that the mantle is not a bag that is supported only at the top, it's a tube that is supported at each end. I believe this may make them less prone to damage in transit.
With careful handling, I had one mantle that lasted for ten years!
IMG_20220901_101934.jpg

Z

ONE

Nov 21, 2019
N. Ireland
I've more than two dozen lamps, all models and marques and my beater, the one I most use, is a 246B. It was relatively cheap, it lights things up and if it breaks or gets stolen I won't lose something I can't replace.

Now, that said, I've heard collectors call them Friday afternoon lamps, because they're thrown together like the assemblers were in a hurry to get their first pint of the weekend. Give them a look over, make sure everything is there and tightened down like it should be and they're perfectly serviceable.

Reactions: Oaktree83

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE