SIGG Tourist & SVEA 123R

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Imagedude

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 24, 2011
Gwynedd
Is there anything similar on the market today, I'm tempted to sell my Svea and buy a MSR XGK?

Martyn

Bushcrafter through and through
Aug 7, 2003
staffordshire
www.britishblades.com
Is there anything similar on the market today, I'm tempted to sell my Svea and buy a MSR XGK?

I think there was a similar set made, cant remember the make and a number of clones.

With regard to using different burners, I would think the SIGG could be adapted easily enough. I have an optimus nova with a trangia adapter I got from basecamp for £10 quid. You take the legs off the nova and fit the adapter like this....

DSC00236.jpg

This then drops into the hole in the trangia windshield like this....

1251657743-trangia-hiker-cobra_web.jpg

My idea was to fit the nova into the SIGG stand where the SVEA pokes through...

sigg005.jpg

...to give a 10,000BTU multifuel stove. :D

Havent tried it yet and it might not work as the hole in the SIGG is significantly smaller than the hole in a trangia. Be cool if it does work though.

Beardy

Need to contact Admin...
Nov 28, 2010
UK
Very nice kit, and I'm loving the retro Svea, lots of character in that.

I do wonder why Sigg stopped making such things - another difficult line of their kit to find now is the Inoxal stuff that was similar to Trangia's Duossal. Not got my hands on a Tourist but if it's anything like the Inoxal it'll definitely be solidly built!

Just a quick question, when carrying the Svea mit fuel in the cookset (or even using the wee cup that seems to come as sold with the Svea stove and windshield), can you reliably just cook up in it straight off or does it require rinsing, keeping the stove in a bag, restricting yourself to boil-in-the-bags or such?

As I have heard that with some of the old Coleman Peak sets with a metal storage/cooking pan, even small fuel leaks and naptha poisoning wasn't so unusual?

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
I'd be wary Martyn of mounting a Nova or the 111T you linked to in a Sigg set as the set is small compare to the bigger Trangia, I've had a near melt down trying similar out with a small Trangia kit. Mount in a model 25 Trangia no problems at all.

bilmo-p5

Jul 5, 2010
west yorkshire
Martyn said:
My idea was to fit the nova into the SIGG stand where the SVEA pokes through...

You have a classic stove & cookset combination in very good conditon. No mod you can make will improve it; you will just bu99er it up all ways round. Would you take the angle grinder to your favourite blade? 'Course you wouldn't! Take Richard's suggestion & do the T25 mod if you want that sort of thing.

Martyn

Aug 7, 2003
staffordshire
www.britishblades.com
I'd be wary Martyn of mounting a Nova or the 111T you linked to in a Sigg set as the set is small compare to the bigger Trangia, I've had a near melt down trying similar out with a small Trangia kit. Mount in a model 25 Trangia no problems at all.

Can you be more specific re the meltdown Rik, as I have use the nova in a 27 set and didnt have any problems? I've only used it a couple of times though. Do trangia advise not to use the multifuel burner in the 27 set? The cutouts are present in the base for threading the hose etc.

Last edited:

Martyn

Aug 7, 2003
staffordshire
www.britishblades.com
You have a classic stove & cookset combination in very good conditon. No mod you can make will improve it; you will just bu99er it up all ways round. Would you take the angle grinder to your favourite blade? 'Course you wouldn't! Take Richard's suggestion & do the T25 mod if you want that sort of thing.

I think you misunderstand, I wasnt going to cut or drill the SIGG set, if the nova wont fit in using the adapter, then I would call it off.

What's the T25 mod?

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
T25 is just the Nova/Omnifuel mounted in the bigger (model 25) Trangia, holes already cut for the job.

One of your pictures showed another Trangia mod, it allows the fuel line and pump of a Nova or Omnifuel to fit the burner off an Optimus 111T silent burner multifuel giving you in effect a clone of the famed 'KAP Arctic' stove. Its a very good setup and the silent burner makes life sweet after the full roar of the Nova.

This is my kit mounted in a Trangia clone
DSCF3241.jpg
see the control knob at the side, controls the heat very well.

bilmo-p5

Jul 5, 2010
west yorkshire
Martyn said:
I think you misunderstand, I wasnt going to cut or drill the SIGG set, if the nova wont fit in using the adapter, then I would call it off.

My apologies; I stand corrected.

If you're interested I have the upper & lower windshields of a Lidl Trangia clone, which would work admirably for the 'T25 mod'.

Last edited:

Martyn

Aug 7, 2003
staffordshire
www.britishblades.com
That's very kind of you gentlemen, I'm good though. I'm not passionate about making the nova work with a potset - I like the SIGG very much and although it would have been nice to get a multifuel burner in there, I'm perfectly happy with the3 123. It's a no go on the nova mod though. I just tried it and the hole is far too small. It would need to be opened out to the size of a trangia hole, but also it would need to be lifted somehow too. I dare say it could be done with a fabricated bracket, but I'm not interested enough to start messing. The nova can stay in it's standalone clothes and the SIGG can stay with the SVEA. :)

Beardy

Need to contact Admin...
Nov 28, 2010
UK
Can anyone shed some light on Trangia 'meltdowns'? Is it just because of the more limited space in a 27 set vs the 25 that means too much heat build-up?

It's a bugger if that happens as I was toying with the idea of fitting some form of multifuel burner in a slightly smaller stormcooker (27, META or something), if I ever got round to it. The 25 is a great design and a nice camp stove but it's not the most portable for backpacking use, and the alcohol burner can't usually be described as quick... And I had noticed Trangia sell a 27 with non stick pots and pans and a 'hard anodized' ally set of windshields that would possibly be more heat resistant.

Come to mention it, has anyone got a Meta stormcooker handy and the Trangia bracket for a Nova? Probably the control knob would need a hole hacked out for it but that could be a decent combination. I think they are made to fit the Swiss alcohol gel can as a burner so the burner hole in the windshield shouldn't be too far off the right width?

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
On full belt the flame spread on the Nova is wide, while I never holed the smaller Trangia I never had it going flat out (fine in the bigger 25), perhaps I'm over cautious; the Nova did happily melt an MSR heavy foil windshield that I left too close.

So...just had a play using a 27 and Chinese Booster stove on gas
100_3233.jpg

100_3228.jpg

I would use it but I'd turn it to simmer asap

Here you go Martyn, bung a stove in a Honey

DSCF3732.jpg

Beardy

Need to contact Admin...
Nov 28, 2010
UK
Cheers for the research there Rik! Did you try it without a pot on? I'm guessing that can redirect the heat a bit too...

Still, worst case scenario I s'pose I could always get a replacement windshield... Now I've just got to figure what burner to get, there's a good few out there!

Cheers

Beardy

Nonsuch

Life Member
Sep 19, 2008
Scotland, looking at mountains
I have the Sigg cookset/123R combo as well and it is superb, although my version looks more beaten up than that of the OP!
I find the 123R runs better inside the cookset than when used on its own - I think the greater degree of enclosure makes it more efficient.

P1010343.jpg

Martyn

Aug 7, 2003
staffordshire
www.britishblades.com
I'd be surprised if the nova burner did melt down a 27. The base has the manufacturer installed holes and cutouts for the use of the nova and gas adapters and both are 10,000 BTU burners. I would have though trangia at least tested these burners before manufacturing the base with cutouts for them, which clearly invites their use?

I always thought the nova was quite a vertical flame pattern too...

main.php

Martyn

Aug 7, 2003
staffordshire
www.britishblades.com
I find the 123R runs better inside the cookset than when used on its own - I think the greater degree of enclosure makes it more efficient.

View attachment 7158

It's certainly easier to prime without having the faff of the little brass windshield getting in the way and I think you might be right about the efficiency. I've got 2x 123R's and from limited testing over the last few days, it seems whichever one I use inside the SIGG burns hotter. I think you're right, the SIGG does a better job of keeping the heat in the tank of ther SVEA so more pressure builds up, resulting in faster primes and a hotter burn.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE