SIGG Tourist & SVEA 123R

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
Too many questions all at once lol, re priming the 123, one option is to wrap a bit of fibre glass cloth around the stem, at a 'guestimate' I get double the meths on the stove (sorry about the picture quality but you get the idea)

100_3237.jpg

This works on my 8's as well. Don't worry about spilling a bit of fuel, it won't blow the tank, just make sure you are on an inflammable surface. To be honest with an 8 I always spill a bit into the stove base and find this works as well are using a mini/midi pump in cold weather.

"Rik, do you know if the 123 will fit inside the army box/stand designed to use the 00 burner"
Don't know Martyn, give it a go and let us know how you get on

Usual disclaimer Do any modifications at your own risk.

Martyn Re: Nova flame spread; its not uncommon to see a verticle flame (often yellow tipped) on the stove but the flame spreads very well on a flat bottomed pan (and goes blue), the heat exchanger in your picture may 'hug' the flames more?

Last edited:

steve a

Settler
Oct 2, 2003
south bedfordshire
Re priming a 123 with the brass windshield on, I just use a large plastic eyedropper pushed in through the valve key hole, it fills the depression fully. This coupled with a small nag bottle of meths or Coleman fuel makes lighting a lot easier than faffing with the windshield.

bilmo-p5

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 5, 2010
west yorkshire
Somewhere along the line between last use and next lighting you are likely to need to remove the w/s to relieve the tank.

johnboy

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Oct 2, 2003
Hamilton NZ
www.facebook.com
Ooops too slow in posting!

As Bryans post says the number 7 is a combination of 123 burner and 71 / 80 tank.

71 /80's are good stoves as good as the 123... But cost a bit less as folk generally don't know what they are....

DSCF1983.jpg

Last edited:

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
To be honest my 71's/80's are under used these days as I only really camp when there are two or more of us. I've a nice old Radius 121 which seems to have taken on the role of brew stove; fab little cooker, close the valve and prime and it lights without pumping, its a real cracker.

Off topic but B&Ms and Wilkco have a camping sale on, fold up cups in W's are 60p, 'credit card' size survival tool 60p and in B&M's 2l camp kettles are down to £2.49, tent pegs (10) further reduced to 39p...get them while you can.

johnboy

Oct 2, 2003
Hamilton NZ
www.facebook.com
I've just started trying to renovate an old 71 with a broken vapourising tube and valve, thats some timely info :)

A standard 71 / 80 is a wee bit too tall for the No 7 case IIRC. If your 71 has a busted valve keep an eye out for a 123R valve assembly they pop up on US ebay reasonably often. Then you can make a replica of an army No7 which will fit in the case...

Teepee

Jan 15, 2010
Northamptonshire
A standard 71 / 80 is a wee bit too tall for the No 7 case IIRC. If your 71 has a busted valve keep an eye out for a 123R valve assembly they pop up on US ebay reasonably often. Then you can make a replica of an army No7 which will fit in the case...

Thanks Johnboy. Do you know if I would I then need a new presure relief filler cap too? I have a solid cap.

bilmo-p5

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 5, 2010
west yorkshire
Ah, I see. I probably saw it when it was posted but I wouldn't have given it a 2nd look as I prefer 210s. Thank you for pointing it out.

johnboy

Oct 2, 2003
Hamilton NZ
www.facebook.com
Does the 71 tank have the soldered pin in it? For solid cap 71's that is the pressure relief.

If you have a solid cap and tank without the pin then:

A. You have a mismatched tank cap combo.
B. You'll need to think about some form of pressure relief.

If the pressure relief actually goes off you still get a big 'kaboom' once the base of the tank has distorted...

johnboy

Oct 2, 2003
Hamilton NZ
www.facebook.com
Ah, I see. I probably saw it when it was posted but I wouldn't have given it a 2nd look as I prefer 210s. Thank you for pointing it out.

I really like 00's ( well any 1 pint stove actually) I have one that is really scruffy but runs like a RR Avon on afterburner... Puts my XGK to shame...

Teepee

Jan 15, 2010
Northamptonshire
Does the 71 tank have the soldered pin in it? For solid cap 71's that is the pressure relief.

If you have a solid cap and tank without the pin then:

A. You have a mismatched tank cap combo.
B. You'll need to think about some form of pressure relief.

If the pressure relief actually goes off you still get a big 'kaboom' once the base of the tank has distorted...

It has the pin :)
The big kaboom sounds like a trouser filling moment. The pin is suspect though, so maybe a pressure cap would be a good idea. The thought of being covered in lit petrol isn't doing it for me, however small the risk! :)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE