Biolite camp stove

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Whittler Kev

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Mar 8, 2009
March, UK
bushcraftinfo.blogspot.com
Just saw this stove that recharges your phone while it heats your brew and cooks your food with twigs.
Handy for the weeks Bushmoot me thinks ;)

image_5839.jpg

BioLite Camp Stove
The BioLite Campstove makes cooking with wood as clean, safe, and easy as modern fuels while providing electricity to charge small devices, such as mobile phones and LED lights, off-grid.

The Campstove frees outdoor enthusiasts from relying on gas canisters and provides a critical resource for preparedness and emergency settings. Using only the twigs and sticks collected outdoors, the Campstove utilises BioLite’s patented heat-to-electricity technology to power an internal fan creating an ultra-efficient fire through improved combustion. Both a great cooking stove and on-demand energy source.

No fuel to buy or carry
BioLite stoves cook your meals with nothing but the twigs you collect on your journey, eliminating the need for heavy, expensive, polluting petroleum gas. Quick to light, fast to boil and easy to use.

Charge your gadgets
By converting heat from the fire into usable electricity, the campstove will recharge your phones, lights and other gadgets while you cook dinner. Unlike solar,the campstove is a true on-demand source.

Stay Green
By using renewable resources for fuel instead of petroleum, you’re reducing your carbon footprint. You’ll also keep fuel canisters out of the landfill.

Be Prepared
The Campstove isn’t just for camping; it’s great to have on hand when the power goes out in a storm, flood or other natural disasters. You’ll be able to cook and keep electronics charged while power lines are down.

Specification:

• Packed Size: Height 8.25” / Width 5”.
  • Weight: 33oz (935g).
  • Fuel: Renewable biomass (twigs, pinecones, wood pellets, etc).
  • Fire Power Output Peak: 3.4 kW (LO), 5.5 kW (HI).
  • USB Power Output
  • Max continuous: 2W @5V, Peak: 4W @5V.
  • Compatible Devices: Powers most USB-chargeable devices including smartphones.
  • Charging Time: Phone 4S (2G): 20 minutes of charging provides 60 minutes of talk time. (Charging times vary by device and by strength of fire)
  • Boil Time: 4.5 minutes to boil 1 litre of water. (Varies based on strength of fire)
  • Fuel Quantity: 1.6oz (46g) of wood to boil 1 litre of water.

In the box: BioLite Stove, Firelighter, Stuff Sack, Instructions, USB Cord
(for internal battery charging).

Note: Most devices come with specific charging tips. In an effort to reduce waste, we have not included charging cables for devices.

Interesting but pricey at £150ish I reckon :yikes:

http://www.woodland-ways.co.uk/buy-online-biolite-camp-stove-673.html

(BTW no affiliation etc but a very satisfied customer, but not for one of theses at the mo)

little_leaf177

Tenderfoot
Oct 24, 2011
Liverpeewwll
haha im saving at the moment for one of these... I love them and its defo my next gadget....
I started a post about this stove only 2 weeks ago and got a keyboard warrior telling me about how many times this had been posted before (G**P!) ... but IMO I totally agree with you, great for long camps & Scut leaders etc for always having a form of contact etc...

Andy BB

Apr 19, 2010
Hampshire
No, I'm not that keyboard warrior! However, it might well be worth reading some of the earlier threads about this product before you sink your hard-earned cash into a purchase. It would be fair to say that it is not all rosy with this cooker in its "recharge" mode. There have been some questions raised about this aspect of its function.

As a pure forced-air cooker, however, it does the biz! However, if buying it for just this function, I would opt instead for the Vital stove - a wider base making it easier to put in larger pieces of wood, and re-stock without lifting off the pot, bigger, more secure base for all-sized pots, and a hotter flame at full "boost". You do need batteries, however, although I'm still on my first set (2xAAA) and its been used for probably 40 hours+ by now.

yarrow

Forager
Nov 23, 2004
Dublin
I have got one of these and it's great. No problems with the recharge mode. Used it about 20 odd times out and about and had a good few garden trials with various woods and start up methods. All in all a great product, I like mine and would recommend it to others. I use a little USB light with it and charge phones and stuff, no problem.

Jul 30, 2012
westmidlands
It does look handy. Shame that at a kg in weight its not just a little bigger.

Does it burn green fuel or damp fuel, as if you get it burning fast enough, green wood does burn.

yarrow

Forager
Nov 23, 2004
Dublin
I guess it would burn green stuff once it’s really roaring, I have used twigs off the ground and they are damp. A bit of birch bark really works well to get it going fast. I bought it because my old apex coleman stove gave up the ghost - its way lighter, doesn’t need smell heavy fuel and it’s a portable power station. I have used a free loader solar charger before on long canoe trips and always found that the electrical gear - phone, GPS and stuff all slowly died even in the far north with 24hr sunlight, this bit of kit sorts the problem of portable power generation.

Feb 12, 2013
derbyshire
If anyone is interested i am thinking about swapping my biolite for a multi fuel burner maybe a trangia x2 or msr/optimus - i want something that will burn unleaded.
Also it has to be someone in uk...
Cheers
Chris
Derbyshire
UK.

welchyd1

Jan 4, 2011
Wirral, Merseyside
If anyone is interested i am thinking about swapping my biolite for a multi fuel burner maybe a trangia x2 or msr/optimus - i want something that will burn unleaded.
Also it has to be someone in uk...
Cheers
Chris
Derbyshire
UK.

I would love one of these but don't own either of the two stoves you have requested. If you decide to sell it can I have first dibs please.

Dave

Jjessup

May 15, 2013
Essex
If anyone is thinking of buying one, one idea made be the iwantoneofthose website. It sells them, and if you are on their mailing list they often give out 10-15% discount codes.

If you want to go mad, then they now make a grill attachment that turns it into a woodfired bbq! Good for a couple of burgers and a couple of sossies. (Not that I have experience of course...)

mountainm

Bushcrafter through and through
Jan 12, 2011
Selby
www.mikemountain.co.uk
I recieved appalling customer service from iwantoneofthose when my order went missing (they dont track their parcels) and won't use them anymore. Just one example is that their "customer services" phone number is a higher than normal tarriff. So the only way to resolve my problem was to pay them 10p per minute.

HantsScooter

Aug 1, 2013
Hampshire
I purchased one a couple of weeks ago through Amazon.co.uk, or at least a marketplace partner Mylable, for £130 but doing so that way allowed me to use some Amazon gift certificates.

Haven't used it for charging anything yet but have done a few successful test burns. I found it takes some starting when using fairly wet wood. In this case I was using apricot which had been cut green about 10 days earlier. Obviously it was also smokier with the green wood.

Now just need to get out into the woods with it and the hammock.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE