Tilley windfall

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

tombear

On a new journey
Jul 9, 2004
Rossendale, Lancashire
I cleaned out the tubes as best I could, replaced the wire inside the vapouriser, which is the best of a bad lot I discovered, the other three are shot. and tried it again. I think it must be getting near the end of its useful life so i will replace when I can pick up a new one cheap or as a swap. Still its working better!

noK35KP.jpg

So thats your lot! I'll drain the fount and when I need it I'll fill with fresh paraffin as I'm sure the old blue stuff I've been using is past its best!

ATB

Tom

Woody girl

Mar 31, 2018
Exmoor
Hi found my old lamp at the back of a cupboard and realised it was a coleman powerhouse unleaded 295. It needs new mantles and I have some tilly lamp mantles but no coleman ones. They are tie on ones. Will they be suitable to use on the coleman or not? I have ordered some of the propper ones and a new generator just in case but I would like to know if I can use them or not. Many thanks for any advice.

birchwood

Nomad
Sep 6, 2011
Kent
The Tilley mantles are a tube type and 'tie' on to a groove top and bottom, the coleman ones are a cup type with just an opening at the top and are also smaller.

Woody girl

Mar 31, 2018
Exmoor
The Tilley mantles are a tube type and 'tie' on to a groove top and bottom, the coleman ones are a cup type with just an opening at the top and are also smaller.
Hi thanks for your reply but I'm still a bit confused as I've looked on you tube and they all seem to use tie on ones but I can only get clip on. Guess they may be easier to fit and it states for use on my lamp.... the coleman ones seem to have a green top whereas the tilly mantles have a pink top if you know what I mean. I guess I will have to wait for the ones I've ordered to arrive and compare them. I don't do online shopping and I've ordered by phone from a shop in Norfolk but even they couldn't tell me if the tilly ones would fit or not.

birchwood

Nomad
Sep 6, 2011
Kent
Yes the clip on ones with the green top fit Coleman lamps. They hang from the fitting. On a Tilley lamp the tube passes through the mantle.

Woody girl

Mar 31, 2018
Exmoor
Ok that clears that up for me. This was a lucky find for a pound in a junk shop several years ago. I put it away and forgot about it. Untill now relied on oil lamps. So it's time to bite the bullet and get it going.thanks for info.

tombear

On a new journey
Jul 9, 2004
Rossendale, Lancashire
Finally had the time to do up the Tilly wall light over the weekend. It needed a few new seals, a good clean, a new vapouriser from the spares that came with, some derusting ( mainly the cage that holds the globe in place, it was too fragile to polish down to shiny mechanically so I just buffed the residue off ). Fitted a new mantle and here you are.

KwcMGLT.jpg

New cages are available at about 8 quid a pop on ebay but this ones sound.

And tonight I filled the tank with new parrafin and fired her up. First time, nothing, so I switched off, released the pressure and went through the lighting process again and it worked just fine!

h7nmqMr.jpg

No burps, pulses or flare ups. I let her run for a hour,(had a wander about the garden to see if the frogs were about), after about 20 pumps and switched off with no problems. I'm rather chuffed with it. I'll restore the box at a later date.

And thats your lot.

ATB

Tom

Woody110

Mod
Mod
Mar 8, 2009
Leeds, Yorkshire
Wide games...
We get them into the program for my scouts at least once or twice a term, well except this last one as they have been working towards their survival badge, so we had other things to work towards.

Tilleys always bring to my mind the smell and taste of Cocoa and dampers, warm Stormhavens, good company and a glowing feeling of " I never want to be anywhere else". The sound and the light were the first sensations to greet us as we came in from a long day on the hill, a canoe trip or the end of a Wide Game an hour or so before dawn, cold, bone tired, hungry but perfectly satisfied and glowing happy :emoji_camping:

Anyone remember Wide Games? Do they still have those, and British Bulldog?

Great score there, Tom, and no better man to bring them back to life :emoji_sparkler:

Nice65

Brilliant!
Apr 16, 2009
W.Sussex
Hi found my old lamp at the back of a cupboard and realised it was a coleman powerhouse unleaded 295. It needs new mantles and I have some tilly lamp mantles but no coleman ones. They are tie on ones. Will they be suitable to use on the coleman or not? I have ordered some of the propper ones and a new generator just in case but I would like to know if I can use them or not. Many thanks for any advice.

Having visited an Aladdin’s cave of a lamp and stove shop in Littlehampton, the owner and his wife being obsessed with stoves, lamps, lanterns, petrol and paraffin clothes irons etc, I can tell you running the correct mantle is crucial for the lamp. My Vapalux had apparently been run for years on Tilley mantles. He explained they shrink further than the Vapalux and cause the vapouriser to get too hot. Over time it causes damage.

He was also very helpful on the merits of Coleman fuel over panel wipe. It isn’t the same, and again will cause damage. He says Aspen Blue is identical to Coleman fuel and recommends it. Not particularly relevant to your question, but worth knowing.

Just a few pics so you can get an idea that these two folk probably know their stuff.:artist:

AADE6132-1761-444-F-9963-17-D1-BD493-CAB.jpg

C242349-D-895-C-4585-A514-D0-F9-E548150-A.jpg

902-CA45-D-D6-A7-4598-9-CCC-945-BE545601-B.jpg

5-A856050-FF5-B-41-A1-BFEC-CC2-D5915222-A.jpg

Woody girl

Mar 31, 2018
Exmoor
Wow nice 65 what an aladins lamp of a place.!what's the name of the shop? The place I contacted had only clip on mantles which are fine but expensive in comparison to the tie on ones. I also want to get some more spares such as glass and generator pump seals etc. This place looks the bees bannanas. I prefer to buy from shops rather than interweb. You can realy get propper info from a knowledgeable shop keeper.

Nice65

Brilliant!
Apr 16, 2009
W.Sussex
Wow nice 65 what an aladins lamp of a place.!what's the name of the shop? The place I contacted had only clip on mantles which are fine but expensive in comparison to the tie on ones. I also want to get some more spares such as glass and generator pump seals etc. This place looks the bees bannanas. I prefer to buy from shops rather than interweb. You can realy get propper info from a knowledgeable shop keeper.

Here you go. It’s a fair way from Exmoor. Bit of a strange place, google it and check the exterior. I had to phone them because I was standing outside a boarded up hairdressers and couldn’t see the shop. It was the shop. :D

http://www.base-camp.co.uk/

Woody girl

Mar 31, 2018
Exmoor
Thanks buddy I will phone them. As you say it's a bit far away from me but good to know about if I was ever in the area. I'm sure others will find this information useful too. :beerchug:

Nice65

Brilliant!
Apr 16, 2009
W.Sussex
Thanks buddy I will phone them. As you say it's a bit far away from me but good to know about if I was ever in the area. I'm sure others will find this information useful too. :beerchug:

If you give them a call you’ll get good advice and should be able to mail order what you need. They love talking stoves and lamps, you’ll have trouble getting off the phone.

tombear

On a new journey
Jul 9, 2004
Rossendale, Lancashire
Very useful to know, especially about the mantles. Thanks! My first lamp was a cadet surplus Vapalux 320 got for a fiver ( I could have had three! D'oh!) and I'm hoping I put the correct mantle on that now, I'm fairly sure it came with it and, with a bit of care, it's lasted 10 years or more now.

The wife just used Basecamp to get some replaceable wicks for my Dads retirement Protector 6 miners lamp i was getting back into working order. Much, much cheaper that the maker in Eccles supplies them for.. Anyway I managed to flush away whatever blue stained "fuel" someone had tried in it with a couple of pound shop cans of lighter fuel. and a third 100ml can filled the tank which then burned continuously for 13 hours!. The maker does have a excellent website about the history, care and maintenance of the various models and bog standard lighter fuel is the easiest to get correct form of fuel. Coleman fuel is also mentioned.

ATB

Tom

tombear

On a new journey
Jul 9, 2004
Rossendale, Lancashire
Sorry for dredging up this old thread but I've come to the conclusion ( been hounded ) that I really can't justify having six presure lanterns so I've decided to move on three of them to make room and fund other toys. I've had my fun restoring them so herself has got me full membership so I can sell them here, if not I'll ebay them. So in the next few days the wall light with its box etc and the two Gusrdsmen (?) Will be up for grabs at what i hope will be reasonable prices and I've ruthlessly gone through my knife drawer and pulled all the stuff I never use, let the wife and lads take their pick ( bye bye went a PST2 and a Wave ). The odd thing .I've a almost unused Mauser Officers knife in its original pouch I'll have to auction somewhere as I'm told they are quite sort after but a.l the SAKs will be a few quid each same goes for various pan sets I never use and a couple of tents.

The main thing they will be priced to shift and I'll take lots of pics to show condition. I'm afraid I'll be only selling to the UK since I've had some unpleasant experiences sending stuff overseas.

There isn't many clothes amongst the stuff I'm clearing out, a few pairs of boots and clogs. There is a rather nice old school completely uk made Alligator brand ventile jacket, not very large but I'll do accurate measurements. I was thinking £50 for that since the current equivalents 6 times as much. I got it in the old lost property shop at Manchester Victoria for a fiver just before we got married and it's not fitted herself since about 3 months later when she started to show! Non of the sons fancied it when they were of a size to fit its been in a wardrobe for 20 plus years.

Anyroad, more soon! But in the appropriate place.

Atb

Tom

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Would be curious to see how a vintage Tilley compares to an LED lantern. These old paraffin lamps put out an insane amount of light for 12 hours on a full tank and wonder they stack up against modern battery technology.

The other thing that they give out is a lot of heat. It makes an enormous difference in a cold tent, when the light is warm too.
Our tents were heavy canvas, they had airflow built in :) but inside the warmth gently took the edge off and gave great simple comfort.

Different times.

Nice65

Brilliant!
Apr 16, 2009
W.Sussex
Sorry for dredging up this old thread but I've come to the conclusion ( been hounded ) that I really can't justify having six presure lanterns so I've decided to move on three of them to make room and fund other toys. I've had my fun restoring them so herself has got me full membership so I can sell them here, if not I'll ebay them. So in the next few days the wall light with its box etc and the two Gusrdsmen (?) Will be up for grabs at what i hope will be reasonable prices and I've ruthlessly gone through my knife drawer and pulled all the stuff I never use, let the wife and lads take their pick ( bye bye went a PST2 and a Wave ). The odd thing .I've a almost unused Mauser Officers knife in its original pouch I'll have to auction somewhere as I'm told they are quite sort after but a.l the SAKs will be a few quid each same goes for various pan sets I never use and a couple of tents.

The main thing they will be priced to shift and I'll take lots of pics to show condition. I'm afraid I'll be only selling to the UK since I've had some unpleasant experiences sending stuff overseas.

There isn't many clothes amongst the stuff I'm clearing out, a few pairs of boots and clogs. There is a rather nice old school completely uk made Alligator brand ventile jacket, not very large but I'll do accurate measurements. I was thinking £50 for that since the current equivalents 6 times as much. I got it in the old lost property shop at Manchester Victoria for a fiver just before we got married and it's not fitted herself since about 3 months later when she started to show! Non of the sons fancied it when they were of a size to fit its been in a wardrobe for 20 plus years.

Anyroad, more soon! But in the appropriate place.

Atb

Tom
Tease!

Looking forward to seeing what you have. I’d certainly do a bit of Googling and try and find some sales prices for the Mauser, it’s a bit like the Surefires in that respect, worth a fair bit of money to the right person.

tombear

On a new journey
Jul 9, 2004
Rossendale, Lancashire
20210913_215455.jpg

Nowt particuarly sparkling but they may be of interest as users, the particularly cheap ones. Iike the Okapi (?) and the gardening IXLs ill doas job lots. The pouches at the bottom are empty, why I have so many I've no idea.

AtB

Tom

Ps I'm really liking this not having to upload to imgur to put up photos now I'm a full member!

Last edited:

Nice65

Brilliant!
Apr 16, 2009
W.Sussex
I spy an old electrical knife there. I have one somewhere in the garage, they were used a bit blunt so as to split the cable without removing the insulation on the inner wires.

Agree, the attach files thing is so much easier than opening an image host and copying a link, worth the member fee on its own. :)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE