Tilley Hats

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
They wouldn't let me wear my Tilley hat for the panto.....
Interesting note - the Tilleys in BOTH the sensible photos - one is khaki one olive - have died and gone to "hat heaven" (OK my trophy wall where I hang my souvineers of expeds far and near). It seems that as well as sweating a lot (check the picture of the olive Tilley - that was in the Backpackers hostel BEFORE we did any activity) my sweat is unusually acidic. Despite this Tilley have been as good as gold and replaced both of them and returned the destroyed ones for my collection!
For me a Tilley ranks up there with a Ventile jacket as the best you can get!

steven andrews

Settler
Mar 27, 2004
Jersey
I have a T3 and have been very happy with it.

The T3 works really well in heavy rain. I takes ages to soak through and then wicks down to the brim and drops off, leaving your head surprisingly dry. Superb hats!

Schwert

Settler
Apr 30, 2004
Seattle WA USA
A Tilley is a fine choice. I favor the T4 size and shape over the more freeform T3, but no matter they are just perfect hats in sun or rain.

My T4 and my wifes LT6 (vented nylon) in Yellowstone last summer. In hot weather I like to soak my Tilley in water then walk....like wearing an air conditioner on my head.

lostcreekfallstrail2844ig0.jpg

Note my wife’s LT6 Tilley in the corner…..

lcfhatbear8503ok8.jpg

steven andrews

Settler
Mar 27, 2004
Jersey
I love the T5 that I bought earlier this year. I like that fact that it doesn't have the press studs on the brim that the T3 does.

My T5:

Harvestman

Bushcrafter through and through
May 11, 2007
Pontypool, Wales, Uk
I've just been sent a new Tilley as per the guarantee, after i wore out another one. That's two I've killed. I my case it isn't the sweat, as the abrasion caused by pushing through low branches in woodlands. I always seem to lose the path.

Navigation courses, anyone?

belzeebob23

Settler
Jun 7, 2009
glasgow
Hi all

Its T3's for me too, been wearing one nearly every day for to Long to remember.
I must say those nice guys at Tilley have been nice enough to replace mine at least 3 times
over the years

Scott

Bigfoot

Settler
Jul 10, 2010
Scotland
Very happy with my T3 too.

3 Replacements? That's impressive service by Tilley. I don't know what it says about you, though! :)

Doc

Need to contact Admin...
Nov 29, 2003
Perthshire
I've had a T3 a few years, plus a fur-felt Akubra.

I do like the Tilley, and they are undoubtedly well made, and resist being shoved in a rucksac much better than a felt hat. I recently walked the Samaria Gorge in Crete and in these hot dry conditions I think the Tilley has a slight edge in comfort and practicality over the Akubra.

Although the Tilley keeps rain off the face very well, mine soaks up a fair amount of water making it heavy and wet. I guess proofing it would help. Also the ventilation holes are not lined with midge net (not sure if they've fixed this on new models?) and the little blighters get in through them. For both these reasons I generally prefer the Akubra in Scotland.

belzeebob23

Settler
Jun 7, 2009
glasgow
Yeah their after sales service is great
mine all seem to go in the same place

S7301087.JPG

S7301088.JPG

I just keep wearing them out LOL
it is great to deal with a company that lives up to its word

Scott

Laurentius

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aug 13, 2009
Knowhere
I have to say I have had a large number of hats past and present, I don't see what is special about a Tilley at all, those I have seen I do not like.

My Akubra Territorry has gone to it's maker with holes in it yet I have a felt hat of no known origin that is not only more distinctive than the big brand name, it looks set to outlast it. That is for smart wear only though, my current favourite is one of those leather ausie bush hats, simply because like an old pair of shoes, it does what you want it too and is everlastingly waterproofable, the only ever hat I had to compare for keeping the wet out was one I made myself out of an old WW2 rubberised groundsheet cape but that was hardly the height of "gucci" fashion.

oetzi

Settler
Apr 25, 2005
below Frankenstein castle
My favourite in intermediate weather is the Tilley T3:
04062010_040.jpg

I also have a LTM5 Airflo, because its so much more comfortable in the heat with ist nylon fabrich and mesh-insert in the crown, but its a bit too large in the brim for my liking.
So I got myself, as special order via Tilley UK, an LTM3 Airflo, which is basically the normal T3 with all the faetures of the LTM5. (Unfortunately not available in green).
I also like to wear all these:
A Pakhol
22012010002.jpg

berets of different sizes ( I own "MANY" :) )
161109004_ji.jpg

and on longer hikes usually carry a choice of two, with nearly always a Tilley being one of them:
04062010_067_cr.jpg

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE