Tilley giving me the willies

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

allenko

Forager
Sep 24, 2003
Leicestershire
Hi,

Just picked up a Tilley lamp thats in good nick.

Problem is it didn't come with any destructions.

Also I dont know where I can pick up Paraffin B&Q dont do it!

Any help appreciated :approve:

I've read some sites but they mention a primer that needs to be soaked in meths :shock: although I think this is for Primalux lamps

allenko

Forager
Sep 24, 2003
Leicestershire
Looks like I'm missing the preheating torch :cry:

Still thanks Adi, I actually saw those ones b4 but wasn't confident in what they were saying.

I'll let you all know if I get roasted :burnup:

Adi007

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 3, 2003
Preheaters are ten a penny in hardware stores around here ... especially the lder ones. I'm sure you'll find one quickly.

allenko

Forager
Sep 24, 2003
Leicestershire
What an adventure :super:

I went scouting around the local area and found an ironmongers (you know the ones that turn into caverns full of the stuff on the I want list)

This guy had paraffin and then I noticed a Tilley (new and cheaper than Tilleys themselves) :shock:

Anyway he sold me the pre heater as well.

HOME

Filled her up with paraffin

Pumped the rod 5 times

Lit the preheater

Blew it out, attached it to the vaporiser, lit it again pushed it up into glass

Mantle caught alight (new mantle) loads of smoke

Switched the lamp on by turning the control cock

More flames tons more smoke

**** I've flooded it

Flames shooting out of top of Tilley :yikes:

Turned the control cock off

SITUATION NORMAL

Let Tilley cool down disassembled to wipe up excess

Edge of cloth touches mantle

Mantle dissintergrates :nono:

Cleaned her up and put her away

Ironmongers opens Monday will buy new mantle :roll:

Adi007

Sep 3, 2003
Yeah, you'll need a stack of them mantles - I remember that from when I was a nipper that they didn't last long.

Also, take care not to breathe in the dust from the mantle as it contains radioactive thorium (http://www.arpansa.gov.au/is_lantern.htm)

Here's another interesting quote I found:
http://www.fusrapmaywood.com/factsheet/radinprod.htm said:
About 20 million gas lantern mantles are used by campers each year in the United States. Under today’s standards, the amount of natural radioactivity found in a lantern mantle would require precautions in handling it at many Government or industry sites. The radioactivity present would contaminate 15 pounds of dirt to above allowable levels. This is because the average mantle contains l/3 of a gram of thorium oxide, which has a specific activity (a measure of radioactivity) of approximately 100,000 picocuries per gram. The approximately 35,000 picocuries of radioactivity in the mantle would, if thrown onto the ground, be considered low-level radioactive contamination.

Tantalus

May 10, 2004
Galashiels
i think the thorium stays behind as the "ash shell" once the string mantle has burned off

yeah standards for radiation used to be a lot more lax

kid at school with me had a watch that used to bring his arm out in a rash, wasnt until physics class that we discovered it was the radioactive numbers and not the metal in the backplate

it was more radioactive than the "source" we used for school lab tests

nobody wore lead vests in xray rooms either

i guess ya gotta keep things in perspective

how often do ya consider carbon monoxide while driving a car or the potentially harmful effects of chlorine in drinking water?

Tant

Adi007

Sep 3, 2003
Hee hee hee ... or the radioactive sources in the physics labs in wooden boxes that used to make the Geiger counter go nuts! Or (before my time) X-ray machines in shoe shops. :eek:):

Chopper

Native
Sep 24, 2003
Kent.
"Hold stick near center of its length. Moisten pointed end in mouth. Insert in tooth space, blunt end next to the gum. Use gentle in-out motion."

Please explain as I think I am turning in to a perv!!! :shock:

Adi007

Sep 3, 2003
The sign read:
"Hold stick near center of its length. Moisten pointed end in mouth. Insert in tooth space, blunt end next to gum. Use gentle in-out motion."
"It seemed to me," said Wonko the Sane, "that any civilization that had so far lost its head as to need to include a set of detailed instructions for the use in a package of toothpicks, was no longer a civilization in which I could live and stay sane."
-Douglas Adams "So long, thanks for all the fish"

allenko

Forager
Sep 24, 2003
Leicestershire
Followed the Dawgs link to the letter and I got it working.

Although the mantle doesn't seem very bright at all

How do I increase the brightness it seems only half the mantle was glowing

Can anyone relate to this?

Still though was well happy :wink:

den

Nomad
Jun 13, 2004
Bristol
allenko How you doing matey?
If you have put a new mantle on and it don’t appear to be completely burning. What to do is when it is lit and parts burning quickly turn it off and back on again. You’ll get a little pop. If you do this a few times it should sort the problem out. New mantles sometimes have small areas where they do not catch. If you keep burning, it should sort it's self out, but turning it off and on again. Speeds it up. If this doesn’t sort it out we'll try something else. :)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE